5.0 out of 5 stars Genius. Of course.
The spaceship was big and yellow and hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't.

Published on 11 Mar 2012 by Petersbrooking

3.0 out of 5 stars One Fantastic Book, Three Mediocre And The Fifth, Well...
...The fifth book; Mostly Harmless had a great last 5 chapters. The unfortunate thing in feel is that these books came into my life too late for me to gravitate towards them as others seem to do. I believe the other misstep I made was reading all five back-to-back at once and felt the trajectory of the narrative and my enjoyment dipped with each entry.

Please...
Published 4 months ago by Mark Ramsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius. Of course., 11 Mar 2012

Assembled in one giant bundle of wordplay are all five books in Douglas Adams' magnificent trilogy investigating life, the universe and everything. Simply put they are the funniest books ever written and the great tragedy is that their creator, Douglas Adams, went to his grave leaving us with just a handful of treasures by which to remember him.

You know the plot: the world is going to be destroyed by vogons - Arthur Dent, a man in a dressing gown, survives the conglagration and explores the universe. Meanwhile someone else works out the meaning of life and some mice think they know what is happening. And we all know the answer - it's 42! That is not a spoiler. What happens next might be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Brilliant...., 27 July 2006
This review is from: The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed these books. It had always been something that had "been there" throughout life and I ahd always thought about reading them, but frankly, couldnt be bothered (much like LotR, which I also read for the same reasons) but once the film's release was announced, I decided to read at least the first book before seeing it. That way, Id get the "right" (although, the Radio and TV series' were different in parts to the books anyway...) story.

I love how they are written and all the little bits that are just thrown in at not-so-random places (they have some relevance). I think its because that is how I tend to talk. I say something, then have to explain something else so you know what the first thing was, then I go back again. Adams does that in these books, so it was very easy for me to come to grips with.

I reccommend these to anyone who enjoys random, but well thought out silliness. They'll make you laugh and can be read over and over again.

And who knows, you might even understand more about Life, the Universe and Everything *shifts eyes and hides at the end of book 5*

Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 19 Oct 1999
By A Customer
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the best series of books I have ever read. I discovered them courtesy of my brother around 5 years ago, I read the 'trilogy' and have since become a ver avid fan. The chronicles of Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect and the rest of the gang are always guaranteed to make me laugh, and the books are always very well-written by Douglas Adams, as the pace never slows and there is never a dull (or unfunny moment). I live my life according to these books, as I'm sure any of my friends will testify. If you're thinking of buying this book, I would definitely recommend it to anyone after a comedy novel, a sci-fi novel or just a new outlook on life as a whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius of silliness, 11 Mar 2012
Mark "markalexander100" (Oxford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There's not a great deal to be said in reviewing this Kindle edition: it's the same wonderful five part trilogy that we already know and love. It is worth noting, though, that we get the same forewords as accompany the individual volumes, by Neil Gaiman, Terry Jones, and others. Russell T Davies' paeon to the wonderful paperbackness of the first book is rather incongruous in this context, but that just adds a pleasing touch of oddness to things, and his description of it as "fiercely, beautifully silly" is exactly right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and only gets better with re-reading, 24 Mar 2003
By A Customer
Just the most fantasic book I have ever read. DA had the wierdest sens eof humour ever, and just to ensure freshness, these books are notentirely unlike the order of events in the radio shows, which are also just about fantastic. I just introduced my wife to these ona long car journey, and she now understands far more of what I say! tremendous!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable fun!, 11 Mar 2012
I am so chuffed at today's Daily Deal! I have loved these stories since first hearing them on Radio 4 many years ago. I lent my tree book versions to someone a little while back and they were never returned so it's doubly useful to have this set in a format that I cannot lend to anyone! Result!

If you have never read the books - please do. They are joyous!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, 12 Aug 2003
OK, straight to the point this is one awsome book. This Science fiction book is a golden oldy, a fab set at a great price. 776 pages of it, great fun.
I'm not much of a reader myself but this is the sort of book that keeps you reading and reading and reading.
If your into Science fiction this is has got to be your best buy. In the first book the Earth explodes along with a sperm Whale (after being teleported into the sky over a desert world...OUCH!!!).
There are also some great phrases that stick in mind, this from Marvin the Paranoid Android: "Life, don't talk to me about life, you can either face it or ignore it but you can't like it".
Not convinced? Have a go at this. Ursa Minor Beta is one of the most appalling places in the known Universe.
Although excruciatindly rich, horrifyingly sunny and more full of wonderfully exciting people than a pomegranate of pips, it can hardly be insignificant than when a recent edition of PLAYBEING
magazine hedlined a article with the words "When your tired of Ursa Minor Beta your tired of life", the suicide rate quadrpled over night!!! You've gotta buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars DO buy this edition, 27 Jan 2004
Although the page says 'A Trilogy in Four Parts', the actual book is the updated one including Mostly Harmless (as you can see if you click on the photo of the book cover), so ignore the review that says its incomplete. My copy was delivered today and I can definatley say its the 'Trilogy in Five Parts', not four

5.0 out of 5 stars the book, 11 Mar 2012
The H.H.G is the book which anticipated the Kindle , and I cannot think of a work more suited to read on it .

Arthur: What is it?
Ford Prefect: It's a sort of electronic book , it'll tell you everything you want to know , that's it's job.
Arthur : I like the cover "Don't Panic" , that's the first helpful or intelligible thing anyone has said to me all day.
Ford : That's why it sells so well . Here , press this button , and the screen will give you the index ...

I'm a great fan of Douglas Adams , and the first volume , The Hitch Hiker's Guide , is quite possibly my favourite book of all time : witty , inventive and with a central core of philosophy , it has a quote for every occasion . I'd decided that having the saga in CD form (the radio series) cassette tape (talking book & the LP ) as well as the script book and the paperbacks , I could not justify buying the whole thing all over again on Kindle .
But I can't resist it at this bargain price .
All I want now is a Kindle cover with the words "dont panic" in large friendly letters ...

5.0 out of 5 stars A copy ofThe Guide ought to be owned by everyone, everywhere, 29 May 2000
By A Customer
Unquestionably one of the best series of stroies ever to be bound together under one cover. The famous "trilogy" of 5 books never loses it's freshness or humour, in fact it grows on you the more you read it. I would recommend this book more than 5 stars if I could, it derves pride of place on any bookshelf. A copy of The Guide ought to be owned by everyone, everywhere. If you want to know the answer to the Ultimate question of life, the universe and Everything or why Flainian Pobble Beads are only convertable for other Flainian Pobble Beads and eight Ningis equal one Triganic Pu or the text of Gods Last Message To His Creation: The read The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy. It does not dissapoint.

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (Hardcover - 16 Oct 1995)