5.0 out of 5 stars Essential
Published on 31 Oct 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars A very poor attempt to be clever
I found it very irritating because I was reading 'opinions' and not facts. I was hoping for a more interlectual and reasoned dissection of DW over the years but I just got drival. For a compilation by three people I found the content to be very unimaginative even in their opinions. The worst DW buy I have ever made.
You can't forget who wrote this stuff either -...
Published on 13 Nov 2004 by Paul Metcalfe

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 31 Oct 2005
By A Customer
All opinions are valid, but I must strongly disagree with the review below. My copy of The Discontinuity Guide, from the original printing in 1995, is so well-thumbed that it now resembles the Dead Sea Scrolls. It would not have been so often referred to if it were in any way a "boring" piece of work. It is most definitely not "drival (sic)", but a well constructed and genuinely useful reference guide. The Discontinuity Guide breaks down each Doctor Who televison story into several sub-headings, including Technobabble, Continuity, Fashion Victims, Goofs, and Dialogue Triumphs, then concludes with a short (sometimes very short!) opinion on the story. The book has a nicely irreverent and polarised angle on Doctor Who; refreshing for a reference book, where the content is often very dry. One may or may not agree with the opinions expressed by the authors, but there is something here to get one's teeth into regardless of that. Essential. Really, it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all who fans, 28 May 2008
The discontinuity guide contains plot summaries and overall "whoniverse" continuity for each of the classic series stories. It also lists favourite quotes, goofs and fashion victims for each story. As a result it contains the right balance of content and comedy that every who fan needs to get through some of the more ludicrous stories but it also helps us to revel in the best moments. My copy of this book is so tatty that I have come here looking for a replacement. I honestly don't understand how this got a bad review unless the reviewer was looking for nothing more than a dry encyclopedia - impossible for a series so full of contradictions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nobody and nothing can stop me now!, 17 Dec 2003
E. Evans "edwardrussia" (Moscow, Russia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Discontinuity Guide (Doctor Who) (Paperback)
Great fun and full of trivial information for people like me who just can't get enough Doctor Who. The double entendres and fashion victims sections are a bit stupid, but the goofs and opinions are always interesting. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I deny this reality..., 13 Jun 2010
D. Lavender - See all my reviews
This book is amazing and although most the content therein is now available on BBC website it is still a must have purchase for any serious whovian. Invaluable

1.0 out of 5 stars A very poor attempt to be clever, 13 Nov 2004
Paul Metcalfe (Southend on sea, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
You can't forget who wrote this stuff either - their names are at the top of every single page - boring.

The Discontinuity Guide (Doctor Who)
The Discontinuity Guide (Doctor Who) by Keith Topping (Paperback - 18 May 1995)
Used & New from: £16.33