4.0 out of 5 stars Just what the doctor ordered
Published on 14 Sep 2010 by M. R. Robinson

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be the only person who didn't really enjoy this book.
I think this book is something-or-nothing. In my opinion it is nothing, most of what went on went straight in one ear and right out the other, i really didn't enjoy it which is a shame because I was really looking forward to it.
Published 6 months ago by TARDIS Traveller

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what the doctor ordered, 14 Sep 2010
M. R. Robinson "bookaholic" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Romance of Crime (Doctor Who Missing Adventures) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. While I agree that it does not attempt to do anything but copy the style and feeling of the series in 1979, I must also say that to be honest that was really what I wanted. I know many people - me included - say that this period was by no means the series best but it had many good moments and even the ones remembered as particular stinkers have their good points. Usually it's the realisation that messes the whole thing up, the actual story is fine. So this novel was able to bypass all the problems the series had with bad acting and budget constraints to give us a great fun set piece of classic who. The writing was excellent, particularly the interplay between the Doctor and Romana and I loved the touch of having the ogrons in there as well. If you come up with a who story featuring a couple of East End gangsters then the only place it will fit is within the 1979 season. Of course it was also nice to have K9 speaking (in my mind) with the voice of John Leeson and not the woeful version provided by David Brierly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exellent Missing Adventure Novel, 14 Nov 2013
Timelord007 (The Tardis) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is one of Gareth Roberts best adventures as the author of
Doctor Who:Romance Of Crime.

As Gareth Roberts is humorous style of writer it suits the narrative structure of this Fourth Doctor, Romana & K9 Adventure.

The Tardis brings The Doctor, Romana & K9 to The Rock of Judgement a prison colony built on a rocket powered asteroid that seeks to be judge, Jury & executioner.

The travelling trio become entangled in an investigation by the self pompous lawman as the Doctor & his two companions become involved in the mysterious goings on inside the prison were they seek answers to some very unpleasant questions.

This is a great story that captures the tone of the much debated season 17 that was over reliance on OTT humour.

Yet this would've made a great tv story as Author Gareth Roberts brings the characters to life within this 240 page novel that features a mutant creature hellbent on destroying mankind & the return of the Oregons from classic Who Third Doctor TV story's Day Of The Daleks & Frontier In Space.

This novel would appear more to the lighter tone Williams era of storys than the earlier Gothic Hinchcliffe years.

But I for one did enjoy this adventure & I would recommend it for fans of the Fourth Doctor, Romana & K9.

Great illustrative cover by the excellent Alister Pearson how manages to capture the facial tones of Tom Baker & Lalla Ward superbly making the novel an attractive purchase.

This is getting a Big Finish audio adaptation released January 2015 & I can hardly wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can't do the time..., 22 April 2009
I pretty much agree with the previous reviewer that this Missing Adventures novel is a straightforward tale reminiscent of the Fourth Doctor; but I have to say that I have no problem with this as I am a big fan of the Tom Baker era in general and the Lalla Ward era in particular. How anyone can say that this period was one loathed by fans has surely forgotten the immense 'City of Death' and the intense 'Armageddon Factor' and must be thinking only of the embarrassing Nightmare of Eden.
The book is an easy read and captures the spirit of the more humourous late 70s period without having to worry about budgetary constraints. Good fun as you'd expect from the talented Mr Roberts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humourous Dr Who, 7 Sep 2013
Author Gareth Roberts has excellently captured the style of late 70's Doctor Who to create this book, he has styled it like a season 17 episode, high on humour, funny characters and settings. Of course if you don't like that particular style of doctor who then you'll probably dislike this book. His 4th Doctor, Romana and K9 are captured brilliantly, it is though he actually wrote for them on television. Once I started reading it I didn't put it down until I finished it. The villains are practically one dimensional though, although that does suit the style and the supporting characters are either hilarious or annoying depending on your taste. I thought it was a good book but it was very short at only 240-odd pages, I finished it within three hours easily, not that there is anything wrong with a short book but some might want something more substantial. Also why does the blurb on the back keep the surprise monster reappearance a secret when the books cover spoils the surprise and the chapter title of the chapter they arrive in spoils the reveal but keeps there appearance until the last paragraph, very odd.
A good book, light, humorous but if you don't like that style then I guess it would only be a three star then.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple-minded but enjoyable romp, 13 July 2004
Jane Aland (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Romance of Crime is a very simplistic but readable adventure, featuring an asteroid prison, a self-obsessed investigator, a pompous painter, a couple of intergalactic Kray caricatures, a mutant who vows to destroy all humanity, and a few Ogrons too. The 4th Doctor, Romana and K-9 ensure that this novel always has it's tongue-in-cheek, and is a perfect recreation of the TV series era. I'm normally fairly critical of novels that are content to achieve nothing more than be faithful remakes of a given period in the shows history, but this novel is so warm it's difficult not to like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be the only person who didn't really enjoy this book., 6 Jan 2014

Romance of Crime (Doctor Who Missing Adventures)
Romance of Crime (Doctor Who Missing Adventures) by Gareth Roberts (Paperback - 19 Jan 1995)
Used & New from: 3.95