5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect!
Wow! This is a phenomenal book!

Published on 30 May 2012 by LuciaCalwen

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful
Bought the book as the blurb on the cover intrigued me. Really wished I hadn't. Can't believe how pathetic and insipid the main character Julia is. Gabriel is a better construction but the story and certainly the characters don't really go anywhere. It's all too cringe worthy and full of whining. No one has any backbone.
To be honest I picked it up, struggled to read...
Published 22 months ago by Noushka

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: Gabriel's Inferno (Paperback)
To be honest I picked it up, struggled to read about two thirds, put it down, read two other books and only went back as I hate not to finish books.
Not a series for me I'm afraid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gabriel's Inferno (Paperback)
The book was ok but after the other reviews I expected more. It is the same old story of lovely pure maiden tames dangerous man and doesn't give a very positive story for either of them. The main character is referred to throughout as a kitten and Gabriel is some sort of violent psychopath who stalks her. My copy has gone to the charity shop. The writing style is as cloying sand cringeworthy as fifty shades and the message given is no more positive.

1.0 out of 5 stars So boring...., 7 July 2014
This review is from: Gabriel's Inferno (Paperback)
Booooooring..... I really really have trouble believing 52 readers gave this book a five star rating. It is so boring and the writing style is ..... i don't know if it is childish or just simply very bad. I only read half the book and I am not going to finish the rest of the book. Too bad I already have the two sequels.... Needless to say I'm not going to read them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect!, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Gabriel's Inferno (Paperback)
Wow! This is a phenomenal book!

Gabriel's Inferno is the best story about forbidden love I have ever read. All characters were believable and real. They have their ups and downs, fears and dreams, past issues and hopes for future. This is very compact and smart book. It has everything - romance, erotica, art, religious elements. I really enjoyed reading it, it made me cry, laugh, smile, anxious... Reading Gabriel's Inferno was really a fulfilling experience! And I absolutely love all those references to another classic literary works, especially the ones considering Lord of the Rigs.

Main female character, Julia, is kind, sweet, smart and reincarnation of pure goodness. But also, she can be very passionate and angry when needed. She has definitely become my favourite female heroine .She always did exactly the same thing I would do if I was in her shoes. And Gabriel... he went thought various changes during the book and I have no other choice than fell in love with him. He may have a dark past and intense personality, but he is a true gentleman and he knows how to spoil a woman. I felt so much compassion for all characters, not just for Julia and Gabriel. Most of the time it was a sensual and pleasant reading but sometimes it was very heart-wrenching and my heart was racing when something bad was about to happen or something tragic to be discussed (and there is not many books that would do that to me).

Dear SR, you have earned a prominent place on my favourite bookshelf with this book and you gained another devoted fan who is eagerly awaiting sequel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too impressed, 1 Aug 2012
What can I say? I struggled through it and was mostly irritated by the heroine's wimpyness and the hero's insistence on treating her like a pet kitten or rabbit to be fed and pampered. He was supposed to have all of these deep and dark secrets that he was sure would drive her away but (predictably) when he tells all she doesn't leave.

Sigh. I must say I got pretty tired of his constant elevation of her to goddess status. She was too perfect for words, IMO (according to Gabriel).

Julia was, I think, a normal young woman who had an interest in Dante and he was a sex/drug addict who went from one extreme to another regarding women. Talk about seeing all women as either Madonnas or whores. His adoptive mother was in the Madonna category and they both talk about her being in "heaven" taking care of them, etc. ALL the other women Gabriel has ever been with are whores except for Julia. The fact that she's a virgin prevents her from being in that category so he idealises her to the extreme. He gushes and gushes over the tiniest thing she does, for Pete's sake! LOL.

One must wonder how long such a relationship could last given the pedestal he put her up on. Nobody is that perfect, let's face it. I can only imagine his utter disappointment if she ever did anything remotely wrong.

I don't think it's healthy for a man to "worship" a woman (or a woman a man). People are human and make mistakes, and elevating her to this category is odd, especially in this day and age.

Oh, and this book is written by a man. I don't think a woman author would've written about the main female character in such unrealistic terms. Nobody is that good/pure/fragile/forgiving, etc, etc. Let's just say her character was very flat.

Oh, and I started the second book in this series but skimmed through to the last 10 pages because it was just as gushy as the first one.

Fifty Shades of Grey might have been horribly written compared to this one but at least the characters were a bit more real (and they were quite unreal! LOL).

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive read, 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: Gabriel's Inferno (Paperback)
I read this book first on iBooks as it was unavailable on kindle, from the first page I was well and truly addicted and was not able to put my iPad down, I even had it in the kitchen with me whilst I was cooking dinner. I found it more enjoyable to read then fifty shades of grey series and it is a beautiful love story and the anticipation through out is through the roof. I immediately tried to get part two and was so close to ordering it in paper book form something that I have not done for a long time I was just so desperate to read but to my relief it became available on kindle and all I can say is that it is even better then the first book and it took me just a day to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected, 10 Feb 2013
I bought this book as it was advertised as a cross between 50 shades and Twilight. This is very misleading as there are no similarities what so ever.
I have to agree with another reviewer I got bored with the so called bedroom scenes as they just dragged on without actually getting anywhere. Ended up skipping them towards the end of the book.
It's a good story just wasn't what I was expecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 26 Nov 2012
I downloaded it after 50 shades books as i was stuck for books like them but i loved these books i would recommened to any one to one that wants a good series of books to read and more grown up loved them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabriels Inferno, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Gabriel's Inferno (Paperback)
A true love story in every sense, very romantic. The words well written, made me want to walk into the garden and eat the apple from his hand. Gabriel and Julianne have a love so true that the writer takes us on their journey and discovers what love true love deep meaningful love really is. A very well written book that leaves you thirsty for more.

3.0 out of 5 stars nothing special - damning with faint praise, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: Gabriel's Inferno (Paperback)
Gabriel's Inferno is an interesting example of falling onto the bandwagon while desperately trying to be different.

It copies 50 Shades of Grey in having a physically strong male lead with huge amounts of money who was been abused in childhood and maltreated by an older female lover in early adulthood, plus a weak female lead who forgets to eat and bites her lip all the time. Julia, however, does not have the intellect or the emotional strength that make Anastasia an interesting character, despite petulant outbursts. The presentation of "damaged" characters, so unconvincingly copied in Bared to You, is even less convincing here - you can't just keep hinting at dark pasts and expect the reader to believe that there is something terribly wrong. There is a lot less sex than in 50 Shades, and - weirdly - that is unconvincing too. There is, though, a HELL of a lot of swearing.

While mercifully free from typos and major SPaG errors, it is written in a very immature style, with heavily-ladled adjectives and adverbs and repeated motifs. There is a notable obsession with brand-names. It tries to be literary but sadly just doesn't manage it. The constant objectification of Julia by men calling her "Rabbit" and "Kitten" is pretty unpleasant too, and isn't balanced out by her occasional statement that she isn't anyone's pet, particularly because most of the time she is exactly like a pet, or a baby who allows herself to be spoon-fed so that Gabriel can feel masterful and nurturing. How did she ever get to university, let alone reach the level of doing a Master's? If she is so poor, how come she has so very many pairs of pyjamas?!

It also tries to set itself up as a book for readers who have been educated beyond the normal level, and in this falls flat on its face. The sprinkling of foreign words which are meant to convey that the main characters are academics studying European languages and literature are clearly taken straight from the web, and are not always correct (notably in the use of the French verb 'baiser'!). The author does not seem to know the difference between Italian and Latin. The main characters are supposed to be Dante scholars, and at one point Gabriel gives a lecture which is written out in full, as well as the contents of some of his seminars - this is a big mistake - the content is barely as academic as a Wikipedia article, and a travesty of what one would actually expect from an hour-long session at university! [Note to would-be authors: never try to write out in full speech which is supposed to have taken a fixed length of time, but compare Hannibal Lecter's lecture on Dante etc. in Hannibal for how this kind of thing should be done.] I hope it would be interesting for the non-specialist who wants to feel that their intellect is being flattered but, for anyone who has actually read these books or been to university, it just becomes another aspect which makes the novel seem shallow.

That having been said, I have given it three stars! This is because if you strip away all the pretension, this is still a beguiling romantic novel in the best tradition of Mills and Boon. I did like the characters enough to want to finish it - I even wanted to buy an L.L.Bean rucksack to become more a part of their world! - and I did enjoy it while I was reading it.

I just wish it were being marketed as an ordinary romantic novel rather than setting itself up to be something it isn't. That way all the university stuff could be forgiven for being lightweight, and the supposedly flawed characters would be at the right level. As it is, it is being set up for several types of fall.

Gabriel's Inferno
Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard (Paperback - 4 Sep 2012)
Used & New from: £1.75