Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 5 December 2013
Black Heart. Christina Henry.

Review from Jeannie Zelos Book Reviews.

I loved this series to begin with, Maddy was a likeable person, Beezle made me laugh, Gabriel made me swoon....and there were other people that added to the mix, her friend Patrick , other agency staff and her cross to bear and boss JB!, her father, grandfather and Nathaniel. Things have changed though over the course of the books, Maddy has become harder, less prone to looking for a peaceful solution and using a "let them all burn, heh heh heh ..." approach it seems to me. She does have a bit of conscience when she thinks about those who are being killed, but mostly a pragmatic -" it had to be done, well at least I think it did, ah well too late now" view it seems to me. Black Heart describes how she's becoming, and I'm bothered that she's becoming accepting of her darkness. Patrick was killed, Gabriel was killed, she's no longer with the agency, JB has become a fan of hers now..her father is dead and Nathaniel - well he's become someone unrecognisable. When Gabriel died that was it I said - I can't read Maddy without Gabriel - their relationship was a kingpin of the books, so I ducked out on the last book, then decided maybe I was wrong so tried the series once more.
I can't believe what's happened to Maddy though - she's not someone I really like any more :( She's pregnant with Gabriel's child, but it seems he'd only been dead a couple of weeks when she picked up into a relationship with Nathaniel of all people - that's right, the one who was so uncaring, so horrible and cruel etc....how could she? She loved Gabriel, they'd been through so much and to just move on to someone else so soon....
Anyway this book brings more of that plus the usual slew of dangers that Maddy has to sort. It was good to see Beezle again, and he's at least a voice of sanity and advice for her. Once again though she doesn't really have any plans, but rushes headlong blasting everything with fire it seems. It's action packed, she's just out of one crisis when she's plunged into another. It seems to be a book that relies on constant action and dangers, and more and more people and powers are introduced, and its become quite a muddy, murky mix for me. Without the Maddy/Gabriel spark though this series has lost its attraction for me and become just an OK one when it began as a solid five star for me. Still, as always we all have different tastes and I'm sure there'll be others that love it. Its the end of the "black" road for me though :(
Stars: three

NB: ARC supplied via Netgalley
on 8 November 2013
Well Madeline Black is back and back with a bang! A really Big Bang as the Retrievers are literally knocking her door down! Nathaniel uses a clear head and sends her to safety through a magical portal but is it really safety? From the minute she arrives it's clear that it's not exactly what she had hoped for and Maddy is in for a struggle not just to find food and water but to fend off the not too friendly natives. Left on a far away planet with just her sword and wits to protect her Maddy is taken prisoner by Fae and it's clear that she's landed in the middle of a turf war. The Fae are obviously enemies of her grandfather Lucifer and somehow Maddy must convince them that she's not their enemy too. Fearing the repercussions of using her magic yet knowing her return to Earth depends on it Maddy will have to stand firm if both she and her unborn child have any hope of getting home. The only problem is not everyone is who they seem and pretty soon Maddy will realise that she has been deliberately put in a position where she will make choices that she could come to regret.
I love the strong character that is Madeline Black. She's a woman full of contradictions and yet this somehow adds to her growth as a person. In this tale she has to rely on herself to decide just who she can and cannot trust. She's full of doubts about how far is just too far. Wanting to protect the innocent and yet fearful of giving in to her dark side she nevertheless takes chances . Her powers are growing and she is maturing into a feisty heroine and yet in many ways she's still a pawn . I dearly want her to be happy and at peace but it's clear a showdown is coming that will yet again shake Madeline's beliefs. Just who can she trust ? Please Ms Henry let the girl catch a break!
A fabulous read and a great series but definitely best read in order.
4 and a half from me
on 7 May 2014
I love this series, the books keep getting better and better. I thought maybe it would be the last book and come to a conclusion, but it didnt. I will have to wait yet again for the next book.worth reading over and over.
on 6 October 2014
A brilliant storyteller! I get pulled along with the plot twists and turns, reading far too late into the night! A very enjoyable series so far.
on 28 April 2014
This is an amazing series and I find it incredibly difficult to wait for the next book. Definitely worth a read
on 19 March 2015
Action, love, hope and tears...its got it all.
on 23 March 2015
worse than i expected
on 11 June 2015
GOOD
on 5 January 2014
I would love to of put a review up here but I am unable as I cannot find this title anywhere to buy on kindle, I loved the other books in this series and am disappointed that I cannot read this one!!!!!!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse