4.0 out of 5 stars So near the end....
I excitedly pre-ordered the 12th Sookie Stackhouse and couldn't wait to recieve it, and I finished it on the same day as I was so eager to see what happened to Sookie and her collection of friends and lovers!

I wasn't disappointed although you could tell there was a lot of wrapping up of more minor characters that appear in the stories, but aren't overly...
Published on 3 May 2012 by RBF

3.0 out of 5 stars Like an aero chocolate bar
So I have read it in less than a day, which implies that there is at least some galvinising prompt to keep turning the pages - However, I am left feeling strangely unsatisfied.

It is as if I have bought myself a family sized aero and because I left it out in the sun it has melted to half it's size, frankly a bit of a disappointment.

The frustrating...
Published on 1 May 2012 by MsNorthman

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Deadlocked, 24 July 2012
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(3.5 stars)

This, to me, felt very much like a book an author writes when beginning to wrap up a long running series. There are so many loose ends in this series that I'm not sure Harris could have tied them all up in a finale anyway. If that means a book like this, one which was entirely readable and with a lot going on but one which maybe sacrificed some action and the progression of the main plots, then that's absolutely okay with me. I don't want a final book that feels rushed with too much going on, I'd rather have the story come to an end over several books.

Harris is just an easy author to read. She doesn't scrimp on plot or dark themes but she does have a lightness to her writing that most other authors of the genre don't. I think that's partly down to the fact that we get these stories from Sookie's POV and I've yet to meet a character as sunny or one who looks on the bright side quite as much. For some, this is too cloying, but for me it's comfort reading in the best possible way.

For all it has a sunny personality on the outside, it has some bittersweet going's on inside. I think this one drove home the fact, more than others, that Sookie is a changed woman from when we first met her.

While not a classic instalment of The Southern Vampire Mysteries, I do feel that it is a suitable and satisfying penultimate book - it certainly feels like it is building up to something big, whatever that may be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vampires,fairies,and `other`creatures., 4 July 2012
In the last book in the `Sookie Stackhouse series (for now,that is,)a girl is murdered at Sookies boyfriends house,and as Eric is suspected,Sookie turns `detective`.But that isn`t the only thing that turns up!She uncovers a `werewolf`plot within the pack that she has befriended.a plot that can not only put others in danger,but her own life is at risk too!Roll on the next book in the series.I can`t get enough!

3.0 out of 5 stars What's Happened!!, 11 May 2012
I can't believe that my dreams about this book (in between reading) were much better than what actually happened! I dreamt about Barry being the evil mastermind who was was able to control peoples minds as well as read them!!
I missed Eric, and I missed happy, optimistic Sookie.
Hopefully the last book will be action packed and leave Sookie with a happy life :)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 10 May 2012
If truth be told, though I am a massive Sookie fan, I think Charlaine Harris is struggling to keep the series going and probably should have stopped it a few books back. I read this book, despite the reviews being horrendous because I've read all the other books that spans the series. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed...

All of Sookie's past and present love interests were mentioned in the book, making them all a possibility of who she will choose to eventually settle down with. I had an inclination that it wouldn't be a vampire as Sookie doesn't want to become one and there have been scattered hints throughout the series that she wants to get married and have children one day. By the end of the book it's abundantly clear who Charlaine is plumping for but to be honest I have kind of suspected this from a third of the way in to the book as he was getting much more attention than any other potential suitor.

The story contains fae issues; problems with werewolf hierarchy and touches on Sookie's relationship woes with Eric. Although I have always been a massive Eric fan, I felt a complete change of heart this book for his character and feel as though Charlaine has done him an injustice. The former issues have also been touched on in previous books and I felt a little bored with the concept and as though Charlaine is struggling to find anything fresh to write about.

You can tell the series is coming to an end as the characters are all getting tied off and loose ends are being wrapped up. It was an easy read but I can only hope the final book is much more creative and inspiring than the penultimate one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spoiler Free Review, 2 May 2012
Although the writing felt a lot tighter than the last few books, there seems to be no sparkle left in the world of Sookie Stackhouse. It felt like the book had only been written because it had to be, not because the author enjoyed writing it.

The book feels like it has been set up for the next book to finish on a predictable ending for Sookie to find her happy ever after.

I think I have always had the problem that I have always been waiting for something BIG to happen in the novels, but after reading book after book it just hasn't happened.

I will buy the next one, but just out of fondness, nothing else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lackluster path to the finish, 16 May 2012
A. Evans - See all my reviews
This book seemed really brief, I read it in a day. If it were not for my attachment to the characters in this series I wouldn't have finished this book. Mrs. Harris's writing seems to have been spinning wheels for a few novels now and this was a disappointment this close to the end of it all. It was as if she was contracted to do 13 books and 8 or 9 into it went oh crap what do I do now? Sookie's full novel pity party left me beginning to dislike her and the ending was far from a surprise. Foreshadowing doesn't generally imply wave a blinking sign at your readers. Deadlocked begins to tie up the ends of peoples lives but in such a boring average way you aren't sad to see them go. I am really hoping the final book goes off with a bang not a whimper as it would be a regrettable end to what was initially a well crafted world with dynamic characters. If you have gotten this far in the series you know you are going to stick it out to the end just to see what happens but Deadlocked felt like a waste to me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fang-boring!!, 15 May 2012
This was the biggest let down, clearly the writer has now ran out of ideas.

All of the interesting romantic ties that got the readers interested have now been dramatically ended and everyone is growing up. We have our own lives to deal with friends having babies and getting married, we want fiction to get lost in and escape the mundane that is now been described in the book.

Feel slightly harsh as the previous books, were fab and got you caught up in Sookie's world.

Please don't let her end up with Sam in the double wide :(!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Like not getting what you want for Christmas!, 8 May 2012
P. J. Pawley-smith "PPS" (Kent) - See all my reviews
I love Sookie Stackhouse and I love reading bits about her general day to day business (shopping, sun-bathing etc.) Ms Harris puts this into all the books and it gives it that whimsy feel. BUT it is now used as a filler! I am sure the book could have gone straight into the action and been done in half the time.

Where was Eric? Let's be honest, girls want to read about Eric! He was barely there, almost never spoke when he was. Bill is all right but really - do we feel the same pull to him as Eric? As for Quinn well, what was the point?

I felt this way about book 11 too in a way but felt it was just a one off so did not comment.

I hear that book 13 is the last and I feel it is ready to be wrapped up, maybe it was ready two books ago but hey ho...

All I ask is that the end is as spectacular as the first 8-9 books were. Give the ladies what they want please - give us Eric!! Lots and lots of Eric angst and splendiferous badness!

2.0 out of 5 stars Inherently Unsatisfying, 7 May 2012
I'm afraid the title says it all. I'm a huge fan of this series but this installement just left me disapointed and numb.

Yes it served a purpose, in that it pulled together some loose ends and set us up for what I hope isn't a too Predictable ending. I do hope the Author finds some of the sparkle and class the rest of the series literally oozes and totally blows us away with an ending we would never have thought of, but after reading this i have grave doubts that will be the case.

If your a die hard fan, then well you'll have already bought it but otherwise probably not worth purchasing until cheap copies are available if i'm honest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!, 6 May 2012
Gah! I used to love this series. Now I'm so bored I wonder if I can be bothered to read the next book. Yes, I am all team Eric, but beside the fact that I don't like the way the Sookie/Eric relationship is going, I really do find that the whole plot makes me yawn. Where has the excitement and action gone?

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 12) (Sookie Stackhouse Novels)
Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 12) (Sookie Stackhouse Novels) by Charlaine Harris (Mass Market Paperback - 26 Mar 2013)
Used & New from: 1.55