5.0 out of 5 stars About time!!
Having loved the series from the start, I must admit to getting increasingly disappointed as the series progressed. Stories became more and more formulaic, not that knowing your strength is a bad thing, but storyline was sacrificed for gratuitous sex and repetitions of repetitions.
Finally Affliction takes LKH back to her best and a long time in the coming it has...
Published 2 months ago by GrimBrin

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable
If you've read the previous Anita Blake books, you've read this one. The themes are exactly the same ie. "am I a monster because I kill people?" "I push away men in my relationships"etc. Even some of the internal dialogue sounds lifted from previous books. The story is predictable also. Anita is trying to do her job when some big monster appears to make...
Published 11 months ago by amy warburton

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Read it all before - dull, 4 Mar 2014
Have read all 'Anita Blake' books and agree that they have been going downhill since about book 10. Bad sex scenes and way too hung up on looks. Reads like a cheap tv disaster movie - lots of people arguing, the end is nigh, and oops save the day in the end so no big disaster after all.

Library all the way! Early books in the series genius, later monotonous and so repetitive! Only keep reading in the hope they will be good again. This is not too bad if you skip over all the soap opera dramas and corny sex - which is quite a bit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not quite back to great., 29 Nov 2013
Tali (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
The last few novels in the series have been missing a lot of the previous elements that made it so amazing and it took me a few weeks to get around to buying this next installment. I can't say its back to its original high standard, but its getting back on track. After the last novel I was starting to lose interest, mainly because the last book felt like it should have been a scene in one of the other books as opposed to being its own novel.

Starts out fairly well, caught my interest and kept me reading and before I knew it I had finished the book! It's certainly a step back in the right direction and although not quite back to its previous level, its a very good start.

This book revolves around Micah and his beginnings, but soon moves beyond that as Anita gets on case. Some really exciting moments in this book and some humor to make the less exciting scenes worth reading. It's a fairly balanced book and I enjoyed it. My only gripe being the occasional 'this sounds familiar' paragraph. I don't know if it's just me, but there were a number of Anita's inner thoughts which seemed almost copy and pasted from previous novels with a few tweaks to make it look unique. It might just be me, but there were a lot of déjà vu moments like that.

So overall, enjoyable but still lacking in comparison to previous books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Come on Ms Hamilton!, 29 Oct 2013
OneCatEvil (Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I started reading these books about a female corpse raider who helped the police, in the background she starts dating/meeting guys who are interested and willing to pursue. Over the last 10/12 books that has changed to almost constant sex with everything passing through, very little storey line/police investigation/zombie work, and sadly non stop emotional cra** from her partners, well Ms Hamilton if I wanted relationship drama I would watch Eastenders! (Sorry Eastenders fans but it has to be said!).
This storey line is pulling a little back towards the original (not much, but I think there were pages were no one had heart felt chats or hard sex) I think now I stick with the books hoping she'll turn back or kill everyone off. Worth reading to stay in the loop but otherwise is very similer to the last 3.
Oh and if Ms Hamilton does get to see this - I stopped reading the Merry Gentry series because of the boringly long pages and pages of sex with every creature and no story line that didn't have to do with the Fey throne, I started reading that series for the fairy private eye angle and loved the first book. Please stop writing S&M and get back to stories with a plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 11 Feb 2014
M. Birbeck "faerie_kitten" (Hartlepool) - See all my reviews
This series has been up and down for me. It started great, then digressed into little more than smut with a vague plot. However, the last couple of books have been getting better, and this one has been the best so far. I loved the pacing, the plot, the twists, the fact that it kept me guessing until the end, and I loved the flamethrower. There honestly isn’t anything I can say about this book that is negative.

So let’s look a little more in depth at this one and what made it so great. For a start, the zombies were back. Good, old fashioned zombie raising. It’s where the series began, and I was very happy to see a return to that. And given the twists we saw in the book regarding the zombies and Anita’s powers, I am very much looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Secondly, the pacing and action for me was just right. It had me excited and bouncing, but also gave me time in between the big events of the book to sit back and think. It wasn’t all go all the time, and it wasn’t slow and boring.

Of course, I mentioned earlier that some of this series digressed into smut and not much else, but that the last few books have been getting better. That’s not to say there isn’t any sex at all in this book; there is. However, it was well timed, well-paced, didn’t take three chapters to get through, and was actually relevant to the plot for a change.

So overall, before I spend all day going on about this book, I give it a hearty five stars. It’s renewed my faith in the series, and has me excited for the next one.

As always, you can make up your own mind by picking the book up or downloading the ebook from pretty much any book shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affliction - a great book, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Affliction (Paperback)
In this book we have all the elements that make up Anita Blake's life all rolled into one. Starting with her person connection with Micah & Nathaniel then bringing in shape-shifter, zombie & vampire problems involving first the police and then her friend Edward. What's not to like - here we go again! Laurell Hamilton at her very best, and it's a nice big book to keep everyone happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anita is back!, 3 Feb 2014
So much better than some of the last books (although i still think skin trade was the best one since the horrendous invention of the "ardeur"). Anita is back to doing what she does best, kicking zombie butt. The plot makes sense and there are less interruptions for "feedings" which have quite often caused the storyline to get lost before.

The only downer on this one, Laurell builds up the story very well, you want to keep reading, to get to the end, desperately wanting to find out how it is all going end, and then it does end. very suddenly....with something of an anti-climax.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affliction (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 22), 25 Jan 2014
I love, love this series there is always something to look forward to, lets hope we here more about Edward and his adopted son and a couple of weddings, hope for the future??

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again excellent, 22 Jan 2014
she's back, she seemed to lose her way for a while. but the stuffed penguin loving me romancer has returned. couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anita is finally coming back...if a bit slowly, 12 Jan 2014
Bec (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm glad we're finally getting to see more of the old Anita, the marshal and necromancer rather than the books just being about her relationships, although I do enjoy those bits, I missed the proper fights and missions. It was good to have Edward back again too, I couldn't help but think they were going to end up together.
It was an enjoyable read and kept me hooked throughout. Here's hoping we're going to be seeing more of the old Anita in future books

4.0 out of 5 stars It's like the rest, 7 Dec 2013
It's just an extension of the other books and getting to the conclusion is just adding more meat to the ending

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Affliction (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Affliction (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Hardcover - 2 July 2013)
Used & New from: 14.16