5.0 out of 5 stars Fab series
Not as interesting as the books with the kelly family but i still enjoyed it. Want to read the next in the series as find them a great read. Enjoy this serjes
Published 8 months ago by Pasty

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 15 months ago by Anne

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Jan 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have read and enjoyed all the other books in the KGI series but I found this one disappointing and not up to the standard of its predecessors. This is PJ and Cole's book. They are both members of Steele's team and have been minor characters in the novels so far in the series having been involved in all the adventures to date. I had looked forward to this book as the two of them have had an interesting relationship so far and it was obvious that sparks would fly when they got together.

The book starts exceedingly well, with Cole turning up at PJ's favourite bar and the two of them having a night of passion. It was great to see him take the initiative this way and it was an interesting start to what could become a new relationship. When a mission gets in the way the two of them cannot move forward but have to concentrate on getting access to a child trafficker. They do this by having PJ dress up as a sexy woman and try to seduce him in order to get him alone. This backfires seriously and PJ is very badly hurt and her team are devastated. I admire the author for writing these scenes as so many authors have their characters threatened with horrible things but they are rescued at the last minute. It is obvious that some times missions must go wrong and that team members will bear the consequences.

What happens at this point is where the story goes wrong for me - apologies if there are some spoilers here, I will try to avoid them. Firstly, PJ disappears for six months and we never get a really good idea of what she does and how she feels during that period - I found that this broke the narrative for me as when we pick up with her again she is in a different stage of recovery. When she is reunited with the team both PJ and Cole have very good and sensible reasons why their relationship won't work if they stay team members - they agonise over this for a long time and then seem to forget all the reasons. A lot of the emotional threads, like this one, are not carried through so it seems that Cole and PJ have different emotions about the same thing every chapter. This especially applies to how PJ thinks that the team will treat her after her ordeal.

I could cope with these inconsistencies (after all, this is romantic suspense and not great literature) were it not for the main theme of the book which is revenge. This may be personal to me, but I actually thought that the idea of tracing the perpetrators of the crime down and killing them to be morally repugnant. However black the author paints their character and however awful their deeds which she describes it is difficult to understand why, at no time, does PJ or anyone involved with her get the authorities involved. It is clear that the author's view about victims having the right to inflict punishment on those who commit evil acts is shared by the characters - PJ does feel bad about it on a few occasions but soon talks herself out of it. I was uncomfortable about this aspect of the book.

A couple of instances occur where it looks like the author was rushed or just didn't give us enough details - how did the bad guy know who PJ really was ? How could PJ stand on her bad leg and use karate with her good one when two days before she had been so injured that she couldn't walk ? Why does no one in Vienna speak German ? How did they capture Cole (and know where he was) and overpower him ?

I'm sorry that I didn't enjoy this book more as I have really engaged with this series. I wish that the author hadn't rushed this story and produced a plot with holes and inconsistencies. I didn't like the overall premise (although that may just be me). I did admire how the author took PJ's injuries seriously and didn't gloss over the long-term effects of this but I thought that this might have been stronger if we had shared the missing six months with her. I was slightly nauseated by all the good-will, love, acceptance and pseudo-family feelings projected on to PJ although I really do wish that the world was like this (Maya Bank's characters are either very, very good or very, very evil with the possible exception of Resnick who I would like to see get his own book.

Even though I found this book disappointing I still think that this is a good series and would encourage new readers to catch up from the beginning.

3.0 out of 5 stars How exactly was this a KGI novel? This was more PJ's mission of revenge. SIGHT SPOILER., 11 Jan 2013
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shades of Gray (KGI Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm glad that I didn't buy this book, but was lent a copy, as it's not a Keeper. Yes, it features some characters from KGI, but this is not a KGI outing.

It started well, and the synopsis sounded great, but what happened to PJ - a very personal, violent, devastating female trauma - seemed glossed over and she seemed to have no emotions about it, other than revenge. Cole came across as frankly a bit wimpish and non-Alpha, as he and PJ barely had any page-time or romantic history - bar their 1NS - before said trauma, after which she disappeared for 6 months, yet we were privy to his emotions - I'm not complaining about that per se, but they had no personal, meaningful time together, so his feelings seemed a bit 'yeah...riiight...' and he seemed a bit of a sap.

Yes, I admired her guts, her determination to do all that she could for the trafficked girls, but revenge or not, her solution was murder - no two ways about it - and she came across as cold and self-serving. I suppose that what I'd been hoping for is that she allowed herself to heal within KGI and that her team, headed by Cole, be the one to go in and save the day for the girls, and the icing on the cake would have been that her violators be taken out in the process. This isn't what happened, which is why it felt as a PJ novel, not a KGI novel. Also, the scene with PJ and all of the other wives, totally rang untrue and seemed planted in order to make her a little more human, but IMHO, that was a fail, which was cemented by the fact that when Cole proposed to her, she informed him that she never wanted kids, and he, wimp/sap that he was, fell totally in line with her wishes.

Like I said, it's PJ's (selfish) tale, not a romance as part of the KGI series of tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab series, 14 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Shades of Gray (KGI Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I could not put this and all the other books in this series down. I loved the characters, storylines the action and the romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Series just gets better, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Shades of Gray (KGI Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a Maya Banks fan. The KGI series has been very good and just really enjoyed the story from one of the group who was not a Kelly. Before reading this book suggest you read the books in sequence to get the feel of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars When is the next KGI coming?, 12 Mar 2013
Christina Hawkins (UK) - See all my reviews
Every book in this series has been amazing. Not many authors can maintain such a high standard book after book. While you know how the story will end, there are always twists and turns keeping you hooked to the last word. I always feel regret at the end because it is over, and hanging on for the next KGI book.

I love Maya Banks writing style - flowing, easy to read,but not written for idiots using one syllable words. The sex scenes are tasteful and part of the story rather than the story being a few words cobbled together to fill in gaps between sex scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 7 Mar 2013
I really enjoy the KGI books. Strong female lead. As with this series it is at some points gritty but this adds to the plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Feb 2013
As alway I couldn't put it down but that's no surprise with maya banks writing so glad pj found her love x

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 28 Jan 2013
I've read a lot of Maya Banks, with varied results, but I've always like the KGI series - strong men, but tough women. I was dying to read the PJ/Cole story, and this was not what I was expecting - in a good way. When you read books that are within the romance genre, they can vary from fun fluff to painful cliches, underrated reads to overrated mush - and let's be honest, people who aren't fans of the genre often roll their eyes and don't consider it 'real' writing.

Well this book proves them wrong.

I was not expecting a lot of what happened in Shaes of Gray, and I admire Maya Banks for being gutsy and not glossing over a very difficult subject. I won't spoil it for you, but be warned: this story is at times hard to read, and very powerful, but I promise you it's all the better for it. In my opinion, it's the best book she's written so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the series., 22 Jan 2013
C. Thomas (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
Can't be too many more in the series so make the most of these great books. Gripping from the first.

ARRAY(0xa72f5618)

Shades of Gray (KGI Novels)
Shades of Gray (KGI Novels) by Maya Banks (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Mar 2013)
6.99