5.0 out of 5 stars The Players return...
I am a huge fan of Margaret Frazer - her research is immaculate, she recreates the historical detail of the period with confidence, and carries her readers along some splendidly realised byways

Published on 24 Feb 2012 by BookBeetle

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing because ...
... of the price.

For paperbacks.

I've bought all previous titles featuring Joliffe and a goodly number of Frevisse ones too. I had the latest two "Play Of ..." titles in my Amazon shopping basket for a long time ... waiting.

Nothing budged.

Published on 12 April 2012 by badlymademan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Players return..., 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Play of Heresy (Joliffe the Player Mysteries) (Paperback)

The plots are equally well-thought-out: the excuse of a travelling player allows some 'undercover' work to go on, with all the associated risks, and a convincing depiction of life in medieval England

This is all the more remarkable since Ms Frazer is American: but she writes with such confidence and without importing any American phrases, that we fall into the story without hesitation, and are carried along to a satisfying and convincing ending.

These books "A Play of ..." are her second series: Joliffe appeared in the Sister Frevisse mysteries - which are superb - and then the group of Players slipped outside to travel into different adventures.
Very warmly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing because ..., 12 April 2012
badlymademan (Shropshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
... of the price.

For paperbacks.

Nothing budged.

Excuse me but small paperbacks costing £8 - and more - for plain text on cheap paper?

Grim reality of the fleecing I was being given made me stop. This is simply way too expensive, good though I know the titles are.

A Play of Heresy (Joliffe the Player Mysteries)
A Play of Heresy (Joliffe the Player Mysteries) by Margaret Frazer (Paperback - 6 Dec 2011)