Format: Paperback|Change

I bought this for the Lora Leigh Breeds tale, which was only OK, but I did discover the wonderful Virginia Kantra. I can't say that I loved the tale by Kimberly Frost but I did like the Eileen Wilks one, but as they are part of existing 'worlds' that the authors have created, of which I've read nothing, I was a bit confused and couldn't really get into the KF one, but did the EW one. I am sure that fans of the series will love them, but for me in the KF one there was too much going on, too much had already happened and there were too many characters.

VK tale: that of a Nephilim who saves a young girl from death in France in 1792, only to find that the price for breaking the rules is that he loses his immortality and powers, and becomes human. He finds her again by fluke in 1800 in England, but he does not remember her...at first. Short, sweet and sensual (not erotic), and a lovely intro to this author. It is apparently a prequel to her Children Of The Air series, which I will definitely be checking out. 5*

KF tale: set in contemp times, with a female Pullizer Prize-winning journalist who found a blood-encrusted ancient ring in college, only to have it disappear 3 days later, but she's been left with bad dreams and memories of a guy with bronzed skin. She's also discovered that vampires and human/vampire mixes live amid humans, and then seems to be doing battle with the bronze guy, who is wearing the missing ring, who appears in the flesh (is she Wonderwoman, I wonder?). He starts by talking in stilted, old, formal speech, but ends up with modern vernacular by the end of the tale, and declares himself to be a time-traveller from the time of the Romans. This tale is from a 'world' called Etherlin, and is one of many set there, so I felt pretty lost in it - and didn't like the female lead, who was rather 'up herself'. 3*

EW tale: set in a 'world' of Lupi, where humans, humans with Gifts and Others co-exist. The leads are characters who have featured in another Lupi book, he being lupine and she being a human and Wiccan, and it's Xmas and she is taking him to meet her family and to announce their mating, but danger lurks. Easy enough to get into, but quite a lot going on in different directions (death-magic, a skinwalker, Coyote the Trickster god). Oh, and more confusion still when a terrier kept changing from 'he' to 'she' every so often. Still, an ok read. 4*

LL tale: Isabella sees Malachi him in a bar, and as she's always been curious about the Breeds, decides to try her feminine wiles on him. She's a virgin, and has been saving herself for someone special, but has been stalked and nearly raped by a guy obsessed with her. Malachi nips her ear, which triggers the mating heat and apparently they are then mates. I normally love LL tales, but I did have to ask why the author had bothered with this one. It didn't really add anything to the series, other than one known character being injured, and us learning some more about Rule Breaker. It was just a vehicle for some hot sex, though the same sex that we see in all LL novels, Breeds et al. Oh yes, and LL has discovered a new word: mission. Mission pants, mission jacket, mission shirt. I found myself bored with this. 3*
on 5 February 2012
I hesitated long and hard before buying this for the Eileen Wilks story and if it wasn't for the fact that I had a £3 token from Amazon I probably still wouldn't have bought it. The problem is always the danger of the anthology - you know you like one author but aren't so sure about the others and you could thus be spending a lot of money for 100 pages. On the other hand, anthologies are an opportunity to get to know new authors. Swings & roundabouts!
Well, hurray, I liked 3 out of 4 of the novellas. All run at about 100 pages so you get a good run at a story with character building, plot development etc.
Eileen Wilks 'Human Error' - loved the continuation of the Benedict/Arjenie storyline outside of the Lupi arena. It was also good to get to know Arjenie's vast family. What I really liked, I realised after reading the other novellas, was that Benedict knew that Arjenie would be out there getting involved and coming to save him as much as he might try and save her.
This had interesting parallels with the Kimberley Frost story which I wasn't really engaged by - one of the issues was sexism between a 21st century Pulitzer Prize winning woman and someone born in the Roman empire with amnesia. Despite being Roman and having no memory he knew instantly what to do to adjust the seat in a car was just one niggle, other than trying to protect her all the time. Won't bother looking for more of her work - she didn't really bother to explain her vampire/angel based 'world' either.
I have read one of Lora Leigh's Breed novels prior to reading 'An Inconvenient Mate' and hadn't been overly taken by the series - so very Alpha male - but I enjoyed this story, perhaps because it wasn't too long. I felt that LL also explained enough about the Breeds world that you could read it successfully.
The real eye-opener was Virginia Kantra's 'Upon a Midnight Clear' which I thought was a great read of fallen angels in the historical setting of the French revolution and afterwards. A touch of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park I felt too. I will seek out this author further.
All in all, good, but I really can't justify the cost. Two were snowy and yule-tide but the cover is a bit pointless.
on 19 April 2016
Received this today! look forward to reading this book soon!
on 12 November 2015
love any book by lora leigh