5.0 out of 5 stars Angels of Darkness
Angels are the next big thing in paranormal fiction, and Angels of Darkness is a brilliant anthology from 4 great authors. I was already familiar with Ilona Andrews and Nalini Singh, and they were the main reason I bought this. I am also now looking forward to reading more by the other 2 authors, Meljean Brook and Sharon Sinn.

The 4 stories are:...
Published on 24 Nov 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars somewhat disappointing
I bought this as I have enjoyed all of Nalini Singh's books. Her contribution to this book was good but definitely far from her best. Meljean Brook's and Sharon Sinn's contributions were okay but not outstanding. I really did not enjoy Ilona Andrews' contribution at all. All in all I was rather disappointed in this collection.
Published 5 months ago by Witchflake

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels of Darkness, 24 Nov 2011
Amazon Customer (Oldham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The 4 stories are:

Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh:
This takes place in the 'Guild Hunter' world, and features Noel, a vampire who was severely beaten in an earlier book. I try and avoid spoilers, so I'll try not to give too much away, but the story focuses around Noels trials and tribulations after his body has healed- but he still carries emotional scars. Noel is sent to another Archangels territory, Nimra. Nimra is beautiful, and their relationship develops at just the right pace for a short story. There is the right level of mystery and romance to keep you gripped till the end.

Alphas: Origins by Ilona Andrews:
Hands down my favourite story in the book. It was dark, gritty, and the least romantic of all the stories; yet it was immensely compelling and beautifully written. Nothing like the the Kate Daniels series that I love but just as much of a page turner. To avoid spoilers I won't elaborate more, but it's worth buying the anthology just for this one.

Nocturne by Sharon Shinn:
This takes place in the 'Samaria' world- which I haven't read before. I get the feeling that I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the other books in the series. That said, I still liked the short story and found the heroine amusing, if a little hypocritical at times!

Ascension by Meljean Brook:
This takes place in the 'Guardian' world, which wasn't one I was familiar with. This didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story too much, and definitely whet my appetite for more. I found the main character Marc strangely endearing, and Radha his love interest less endearing but interesting nonetheless. Although aspects of the romance were slightly odd (the reason Radha left Marc many years ago) I still enjoyed the story. The mystery element was particularly well written, and I would love to read a full length novel of this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Delights, 12 Dec 2011
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Angels of Darkness (Paperback)
Four fabulous authors from the paranormal romance and urban fantasy genres share tales of darkness, desire and wonderful wings.

**Angel's Wolf - Nalini Singh**
Once beaten and broken in a brutal attack, vampire Noel doubts he will ever be the man he once was. So when Archangel Raphael assigns him to the court of the beautiful Nimra, he has no doubt it'll be an easy job, since he isn't much good for anything else. Except nothing in this angel's territory is quite as he expects. Especially the fragile looking beauty whose reputation is enough to instil fear into even the cruellest of angel hearts. While stirring forgotten feelings in his own.

After his brief, unhappy appearance in Archangel's Kiss, it's good to finally get to know Noel as more than a victim. Fans of the Guild Hunter series should also enjoy this glimpse into another corner of this fascinating world. Newcomers will also receive a taste of what this series has to offer - strong characters, fearsome powers, unexpected emotion and gorgeous romance.

**Alphas: Origins - Ilona Andrews**
This story defies description but it is complicated, clever, brutal and brilliant. With a hefty dose of sci-fi this is yet another new direction for the Andrews team, who have so many wonderful ideas that are refreshingly different.

Fans of strong heroines should fully appreciate Karina as she fights hard to create a good life for her daughter, even before she gets flattened beneath a ton of supernatural activity. It may not be to everyone's taste, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

**Nocturne - Sharon Shinn**
Moriah has never been good at following rules, so when she's told to stay away from a dark and dingy mansion she simply has to find her way inside. Even if it means she'll come face to face with an angel.

Of all the stories I think this was the most romantic, because there was nothing else going on in the plot beyond the growing relationship between these two. The change in the mistrustful, secretive Moriah as she coaxed the proud, arrogant, despairing Corban back into the skies again was wonderful.

**Ascension - Meljean Brook**
Marc hasn't spoken to fellow Guardian Radha for one-hundred-and-forty years, since he succumbed to temptation and crossed the line between friendship and lovers. But he's never forgotten that night. So when she shows up unannounced in his territory he'll do anything he can to help her. Especially if it means she'll stay. And not just because he needs help hunting down a vampire-killing demon.

I'm a huge fan of the Guardian series, so I really enjoyed this one. It gives newcomers an insight into this wonderful world, without making things too complicated or giving too much away. For fans this tells a tale of two Guardians that have been glimpsed in earlier books, while adding further depth to the Guardian ranks. It's pretty hot too.

With four wonderful and nicely different stories, I can't actually pick a favourite here. Fans of any of these authors, of winged beings, romance, intelligent fantasy and good story telling should all find something to enjoy here - and may even come across something new. This is the best anthology I've read in ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good collection....if you are familiar with the stories, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: Angels of Darkness (Paperback)
I loved this book, particularly the Nalini Singh story, which in my opinion was by far the best section of the book.

However, if you were not familiar with the Guild Hunter novels, the story would lack any understanding for the readers. So, if like me you are already a huge fan of these authors, then this would make a great addition to your collection. However if you are not familiar with the other books these authors have written, dont bother as you really need the background.

3.0 out of 5 stars somewhat disappointing, 16 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 9 Aug 2012
In a sea of writers in the genre Nalini Singh really stands out, I bought this because it had a story by her and wasn't disappointed - fantastic as usual. I also really enjoyed the other storys, particularly the Ilona Andrews story and will very likely be buying more of her books in the future.

Angels of Darkness
Angels of Darkness by Nalini Singh (Paperback - 24 Nov 2011)
8.79