5.0 out of 5 stars Back to form - and to Xylara and Keir, 8 Oct 2012
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands) (Mass Market Paperback)
The first book in Elizabeth Vaughan's series, `Warprize', is one of those books that I return to time and again for comfort reading. I didn't particularly enjoy the second in the series, `Warsworn', but felt that the third, `Warlord', was almost back to form. Then the author wrote a different series (`Star') in the same general world which I read but then re-sold as they weren't keepers.

I'd lost track of Elizabeth Vaughan after this and it was only recently, when re-reading `Warprize' and checking that I had read all of her other books, that I noticed `Warcry' - and I bought it immediately.

And I was glad I did! This was a return to form, in my opinion. Although the story ostensibly focuses on Atira and Heath (characters from the first trilogy) rather than Lara and Keir, in reality we get to read more about the original hero/heroine pairing and how their relationship is continuing. The story is set back in the world of Water's Fall, the castle where Xylara grew up, and includes much of the politics that was part of that story. Heath is taking a more significant part in this tale, of course, but overall I felt that the balance was very good.

What was perhaps less successful was the relationship between Atira and Heath. This relationship had started in the previous books and this book focuses less on their actual romance and more on the separation that their two cultures may cause. I didn't mind this as I was more interested in other things going on in the story but those choosing this as their first book to read by this author might find it a bit disappointing.

I read the book in one sitting, finding myself gripped by the intrigue, characters and more. The only part I didn't really like was in the last couple of pages when something quite unexpected happened, which presumably sets us up for further books but which I felt was slightly out of keeping with the rest of the story. Still this didn't spoil the book for me and I am eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars warcry, 21 Feb 2013
I really enjoyed all the warland chronicles. They are very good books, imaginitive nd easy to get stuck into, i recommend them 2 all;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Warcry, 30 Jun 2014
Brilliant extension of the story.. please write more.

Why is that no enough? A waste of space to write more of a comment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands), 9 Jan 2014
A very well written Romantic yet gritty love story. I was pleased that it continued the story of the Warprize and did not disappoint in any way. I would recommend anyone to read it. But do read Warprize, Warsworn and Warlord as well to fully appreciate the whole story. Elizabeth Vaughan is a very creative writer who draws you in to the unfolding story from page 1.

Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands)
Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands) by Elizabeth Vaughan (Mass Market Paperback - 3 May 2011)