Published on 6 Aug 2010 by J. Lesley

3.0 out of 5 stars Joe is really annoying
Published on 17 April 2012 by Mark Connelly

4.0 out of 5 stars This was so good I immediately ordered another book in the series., 6 Aug 2010
J. Lesley "(Judy)" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Joe Pickett has only one more week to go in the territory around Baggs, Wyoming, before he will be heading back to take up his position of a game warden in Twelve Sleep Country. Back to his family. But in all good conscience Joe can't ignore the reports he's been hearing about campsites being vandalized and an illegally poached elk being stolen from the hunters who tracked the wounded animal and found the carcass neatly butchered. Pickett figures it will take him a week to make his way around the Sierra Madre of Southern Wyoming and then he's homeward bound. What he finds when he gets deep into the mountains makes him shiver with fear because something just isn't right. By the time he finds who is responsible for the strange happenings in the territory his life hangs in the balance and he's completely cut off from any help.

What a great book this was. Such incredible writing prowess by author C. J. Box that my heart was pounding while I read the account of the danger Joe Pickett was in. The descriptions of the magnificent mountains, lakes and valleys in Wyoming were so good I could visualize them without any problem at all. I liked the character of Joe mainly because he seemed like such a normal individual. Not a super hero, just a really dedicated man doing his job to the very best of his ability. The book seems at first to be a rather simple premise of a game warden protecting the area he is assigned to, but it slowly opens out into a much more complex story involving not just inter-state political rivalries, but also political agendas on a national level.

The concepts of the rights of the individual in these United States is at the heart of this story. It was a wonderful vehicle for making the arguments concerning how much governmental control is too much and how much independence from that control can safely be allowed. All in all, a very thought provoking novel. This was the first Joe Pickett novel for me to read, but I have now bought the first book of the series, Open Season (Joe Pickett Novels), and put Winterkill (Joe Pickett Novels) on my Kindle. I can't wait for my husband to start reading about Joe Pickett. I'm thinking we will end up buying everything we can get our hands on written by C. J. Box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joe Pickett - A man of principles - Very Good, 12 May 2010
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First Sentence: Three hours after he'd broken camp, repacked, and pushed his horses higher into the mountain range, Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett paused on the lip of a wide hollow basin and dug in his saddlebag for his notebook.

Game Warden Joe Pickett is making the last pass before going home through the territory he has been covering for the past year. He's following up on reports of vandalism and other hunter's game butchered out. He doesn't expect to run into twin brothers who resent being asked to follow the rules and nearly cost Joe his life. He also doesn't expect the only reason he escapes is a woman who may have been an Olympic contender but disappeared. His determination to enforce the law and to possibly rescue the woman sends Joe, with his friend Nate, back into the mountains and an old-West showdown.

Box writes books that are entertaining, exciting and occasionally touching. He also writes book that make you think about the bigger issues and does it in such a way that doesn't preach or become didactic, but makes you weigh both sides of the question and make your own choice. That is a real talent.

The character of Joe Pickett is one of an average man; very human, married, loves his family, loyal to his friends. He learns he is not invincible, but believes in his job even it's dangerous and, perhaps, not smart..."It's my job. I do my job." Even his wife, Marybeth, acknowledges his job is who he is..."You do what you do because you're hardwired for it. You get yourself into situations because you have a certain set of standards..." That relationship and those principles give Joe the structure that defines him.

The interaction between Joe and the other characters is believable, and occasionally humorous. In this book, Box has given Joe two very challenging enemies; both in terms of surviving against them, but opposition of views on issues that are very timely.

One thing, of which I am becoming very tired, is the overuse by authors of the ignorant, obstructive, jealous superior official. Yes, I know it all-too-often exists, but it has become rather cliché.

The pacing is wonderful; it fluctuates between tension and rest. Box's descriptions demonstrate his knowledge and love of Wyoming, and shares that with us by taking us along and letting us see what Joe sees, both in terms of its beauty and potential danger. The dialogue has a natural flow and refreshingly little profanity.

This is a very good story. I became so involved, it was a one-sitting read for me and I am now anxious for the next book.

NOWHERE TO RUN (Lic. Inv-Joe Pickett-Wyoming-Cont)- VG
Box, C.J. - 10th in series
Putnam, ©2010, US Hardcover - ISBN: 9780399156458

5.0 out of 5 stars run and get the next one, 22 Dec 2011
I. B. Pitbladdo "jacandian" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nowhere to Run (Joe Pickett Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
C J Box very quickly got himself onto my automatic purchase list and I have yet to be disappointed with his work.
Nowhere to Run is another great story featuring game warden Joe Picket and examines the corrupt government versus the little man scenario, corrupt governments being very topical at the moment and I'm not talking about Wyoming, but I digress.
Between the covers of this little gem the pace seldom flags and there are enough thrills and tense moments to satisfy the most jaded reader of thrillers.
If you haven't read C J Box then give him a try I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing story!, 30 Dec 2011
I have to start by saying that the Joe Pickett books by C J Box are amongst my favourites EVER! A refreshing change to the normal mysteries I devour and just wonderfully written and crafted stories. I can't believe he's still relatively unknown but I'm spreading the love one book at a time!
I downloaded the first book Open Season and have read the rest back to back ever since. I don't know what I'll do when I'm fully up to date.....try to be patient I guess!
If you love good, nail biting stories with amazingly human characters then buy this book...but if you can start at the beginning and read them in order then do it!
Enjoy x

3.0 out of 5 stars Joe is really annoying, 17 April 2012
This was the first of Joe Pickett series that I had read. I really wanted to like it because it would open up another dozen books to me by the author. I quite liked the story although the setting is a million miles from anything I know or grew up with.It did move along at a decent pace and kept my interest. However it was the story that kept my interest not the main character. Joe is a pompous idiot who would jepordize all that should be important to him for the sake of his principles. Joe would happily have died, leaving a wife with no husband and children with no father because he felt it was his duty. It was like reading a real life " John Wayne" a mans gota do what a mans gota do. Joe is the kind of guy who generals used in the first world war to charge out of the trenches and straight to the deaths. I won't read anymore of the Joe series purely because I think Joe is a complete pratt and in 2012 life just isn't as black and white as Joe thinks it is. Also annoyed that the author introduced Nate for the ending. However guess we can't have holier than thou Joe having deaths on his conscience because he was used in suicide by cop scenerio.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, 2 Jan 2012
The first few chapters had me debating if this would be a good read for me or if I would end up giving up part way through but that soon changed as Joe Pickett faced the Grim Brothers for the first time! Once the action started it was a great pace with lots of things happening and kept the reader guessing where it could all go. I have only read one other CJ Box book but he is a fantastic writer who keeps you involved and develops the plot and characters all the way through, keeping you glued to the book! Definitely one I would recommend to a mystery fan who wants something different to a inner-city scene. Think 'The Hills have Eyes' vs 'Wild Wild West'

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe Pickett series, 27 Dec 2011
Another wonderful book from C. J. Box about an ordinary,moral ,responsible guy in a poorly paid difficult job. The surroundings and job itself ,being a game warden, are what keeps him here. That and the support of his loving wife and 2 daughters & foster daughter. His trouble making money hungry mother in law is the big domestic thorn in his side. Work wise it is an overbearing top heavy government department management structure with political in-fighting. This time, due to return home after being side lined for a year, he makes a last investigation into a complaint, and ends up in grave danger , with no support or help. Then his friend Nate turns up, & they set off to get to the bottom of things once and for all, knowing they may not make it back. The tension mounts all along, and the ending is superb, & not expected. Are the bad guys really the bad guys, are there others, & who is best served by the outcome.? A thoroughly great book. I have read as many of these as were available, & am off to check if there are any new ones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed., 3 Sep 2014
The story starts off great great but it seems like the book was finished in a hurry. There is a character called Alicia and in the space of one paragraph her name is mentioned five times. The spelling of her name fluctuates between 'Alicia' and 'Alisha' even during this one paragraph. Also there are many sections that required several re-reads because of failure to close a quote.

I'm no grammar pedant but this book really needs a proof read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 4 July 2014
Great author, love these books

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the read, 1 July 2014
This whole series is great. Good read, believable characters, good writing

Nowhere to Run (Joe Pickett Novels)
Nowhere to Run (Joe Pickett Novels) by C. J. Box (Mass Market Paperback - 5 April 2011)