5.0 out of 5 stars Not gonna lie... Awesome.
Published on 18 Jun. 2011 by Obsessed_Writer

MR's funny and romantic Sarah Dearly vampire series was pretty good, but I wasn't impressed enough with the blurb on this book to want to rush out and buy it, but it was available without wait at my library, so I got it. I'm glad I didn't waste hard-earned cash on it, and that I didn't even have to fork out the forty pennies reservation cost.

The book didn't...
Published on 2 Jun. 2011 by Roroblu's Mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Not gonna lie... Awesome., 18 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Nightshade (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)
i thought that with the reviews i had read about this book that it wouldn't be very good at all. I'd read all of michelle rowens other books and thought i might as well give this one a shot, i literally couldn't put this book down, it grabbed me and made me want to read a lot more of them. It's totally dependent on your taste in books, i'm not gonna give anything away, but i thought this book was fantastic and well worth reading. Bring on the rest of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars I think I liked it., 17 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Nightshade (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)
I read a lot of urban fantasy and the concept of this book caught my fancy.

Main character, everyday type of girl, gets injected with (possibly deadly) virus and is hunted like an animal. Some (slightly predictable, some not so) twists, but I was generally satisfied at the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Liked the Sarah Dearly novels, but I couldn't get into this one., 2 Jun. 2011
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nightshade (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)

The book didn't grab me immediately, but I thought that I would persist, as book 1.5, which was a novella in the Primal anthology that came out in Feb 2011 (er...huh?!, 4*), was fast-moving and action packed, and Jill and Declan were involved, and he had morphed into a protective guy, so I thought that I would check this one out.

It's the tale of Jillian, who on her way back to the office from a Starbucks coffee-run, gets taken hostage by a scientist who is being pursued by vampire hunter Declan, who himself is half-vampire, and tormented by it. She gets injected with a serum that is meant to be toxic to vampires, making her altered blood - but not herself - invaluable to Declan for his mission (he is on anti-vamp tendency meds that make him uncaring and unfeeling, unlike in the novella, where he is a changed guy). It also makes her irresistible to vampires...until they start dying off after a few sucks of her blood, so Declan takes her on the run...

Decent enough premise, but a very slow start, and this wasn't really because of world-building, as the book takes place in a contemporary setting. I tried to read on, but even after the first chapter, I found that I was skim-reading and when I chanced upon Jillian's thoughts after she had - in her own words - 'deflowered' Declan (I think the term is far too mild, given that he literally had to be dragged to her bed), I felt a bit yuck and gave up. I mean, had this happened to a female lead, it would have been at best, strong coercion, at worst, rape.

Book 2 is out soon, but I've no plans to read that. however, despite not enjoying this tale, book 1 of MR's Living In Eden series was quite funny and has some potential, so I'm not writing her off yet, but she will be a library-borrowed author, not a pre-order one from now on

Nightshade (Berkley Sensation)
Nightshade (Berkley Sensation) by Michelle Rowen (Mass Market Paperback - 28 April 2011)