5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it a lot
Bartender Liam O'Brian is forced to hide in Ireland because of a threat by the New York Irish Mob and thinks that it's going to be absolutly boring. His new home is small and sleepy Ballycraig where life is totally different from New York City.
Published on 7 May 2010 by S.K.K.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great
Published on 14 Jun 2010 by E. Flanagan

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it a lot, 7 May 2010
This review is from: Straight Up (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)
When he meets feisty and harsh sheep farmer Aislinn, things finally start to look better. He sees right through her hard facade and realizes that she's not really harsh but only afraid to get hurt again.
Aislinn hesitates to start something with Liam because the last man she trusted humiliated her. But she can't say no to Liam's charm for long and soon develops deep feelings for him.
When Liam starts to fall in love with Aislinn, a stupid and mean bet (about "conquering"Aislinn) he made with his boss could destroy everything.

After reading the synopsis for "Straight Up" I was a bit sceptical about the story but as soon as I started reading the book all my doubts were forgotten. I enjoyed reading about Aislinn and Liam right from the first page and couldn't wait to see how their relationship developed. The love story between them is very believable and I love that Liam had to work hard to make Aislinn give him a second chance.
Aislinn is a great heroine. She combines strength and sweetness and I enjoyed that she is happy with her simple life and doesn't shy away from hard work.
Liam is a great and very interesting hero. He is suprised by his love for Aislinn and even though I hated that he took part in the bet, I forgave him (after a lot of crawling) just as Aislinn did.
I also enjoyed reading about life in Ballycraig and how nothing in the book is overly dramatic and that the bet and it's effect on Aislinn aren't sugarcoated.

The only thing I don't like about "Straight up" is the cover. IMO it looks cheap and doesn't fit the story at all. But that doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed reading the book a lot and can't wait for the next novel by Deirdre Martin.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 14 Jun 2010
E. Flanagan (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Straight Up (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read quite a few of this author's books and was very disappointed in this. At the start of the book the heroine is very unlikeable. Supposedly she has been hurt in the past, but she comes across as rude and pretty nasty and even the insights given to her don't improve much. I pressed on, but sadly, things only get worse. The manner (and speed) in which she and Liam 'fall in love' is just not at all plausible, especially for a character who, we have been told, is closed off and self protective.
The book is incredibly predictable, which I didn't mind too much - it's what you expect with this kind of book, but is usually made up for by decent, engaging characters. This didn't. I really felt like I had read this book before, only this was the pale imitation. If this had been the first book I'd read by this author, I'd never, ever buy another by her.

2.0 out of 5 stars Plastic Paddy just about sums this up!!, 9 Oct 2010
C. E. Batt "Mrs 'B'" (Halstead Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Straight Up (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all of this authors offerings and so I was very much looking forward to the latest edition, and I did enjoy it, well I did at least complete it. I don't think there is enough plot, and if I am honest I just didn't beleive that the two main characters had anything at all in common, the part of Nora was built up for quite a good portion of the book and then the ending was an anti climax.
However, the author obviously did a very touristy trip to Ireland and made sure that it was all included in this book, it was very cliche.
Not her best work, very middle of the road and the ending was very rushed, particularly since the rest of the book was very slow!

ARRAY(0xa72f5618)

Straight Up (Berkley Sensation)
Straight Up (Berkley Sensation) by Deirdre Martin (Mass Market Paperback - 4 May 2010)
4.84