Format: Paperback|Change

With Garnet and Sebastian finally married they are supposed to be jetting off on their honeymoon but with trouble attracted to Garnet like a magnet things don't go quite to plan. Their plane is unable to take off due to a frost demon looking for revenge and the couple find themselves stuck in Minneapolis. Determined to make the best of things Garnet wants to share the favorite haunts from her old stomping ground with Sebastian. However with 2 Goddesses fighting for control of her body she is suffering with dizzy spells and strange visions not to mention bumping into people she would rather have left in the past. It isn't looking like this is going to be the holiday of a lifetime that they had planned on.

I have enjoyed reading the Garnet Lacey series so was sad to discover that Honeymoon of the Dead was going to be the last book in the series. Garnet is a likable character - feisty and fun and her internal monologue usually has me laughing out loud. This series has been great for fun light reads but I have to say I was a little disappointed with this last installment.

There were so many things going on in the plot that the story felt a bit disjointed and I never felt that everything was completely resolved. One of my favorite things about the other books in the series has been the great cast of supporting characters. I have to confess that I've never been Sebastian's biggest fan so I was disappointed that Parish didn't make an appearance (although I guess that is understandable considering they are on their honeymoon!). We do get a brief visit from Matayas and William but I missed Izzy, Parish and the coven. It was nice to see Agent Dominguez again but we didn't get to find out anything more about him and he was there more as a convenience for the plot. I'm not even sure what he was doing in Minneapolis apart from the fact that Garnet needed a law enforcement friend.

There were still some laugh out loud moments and I'm glad I got to find out how things end up between Garnet and Sebastian. This may not have been my favorite book in the series but I'd still recommend it to fans of the series. If you've yet to read anything about Garnet then I would recommend the series to fans of light, humorous urban fantasy / paranormal romance stories.
on 11 May 2010
This is the last book in the enjoyable Garnet Lacey series and I miss her a little bit already. It continues the story from after Garnet and Sebastian's wedding, joining them as they "attempt" to go on honeymoon. For various worrying and supernatural reasons, their trip is not going as planned and they end up staying in Minneapolis rather than Europe. Garnet is struggling with now having two goddesses inside her, Lilith and Athena, especially as they don't seem too keen on keeping each other company in there and they have quite differing opinions on when to help Garnet out and when to leave her alone.

This installment fell a little flat, I felt, despite having the usual magickal goings on and good quality writing. I think it's because it was a little claustrophobic. All of the plot revolves tightly around Garnet and Sebastian and none of it happens in their home town. That means that we only get the merest glimpse of Matyas and William and absolutely nothing at all from any of the other recurring characters. The only person we do get more of is Agent Dominguez but we don't don't find out anything more about him or get to know him any better. He seems just to serve the plot as Garnet and Sebastian find themselves in trouble with the law quite a lot.

That aside- it was still worth reading and I am sad to see the back of Garnet. She was one of the more original characters that I've seen in this genre. I hope Tate Hallaway starts a new series with someone as feisty and interesting.
The vampire, Sebastian Von Traum, and the witch, Garnet Lacey, are finally married. But it seems as if the honeymoon will never begin. The newlyweds were supposed to be headed to Transylvania. Unfortunately, thanks to an ice-frost demon and her giant dog, they decide to deplane and are now stuck in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Well, in Saint Paul actually. It may be Garnet's old stomping grounds, but no one is too friendly with her. One of Garnet's former boyfriends, Larkin Eshleman, still claims to love her, even though he and his friends drug and kidnap her. Then there is the man who has been stalking Sebastian lately, James. Sebastian believes James is one of the Illuminati Watchers. Sebastian had been one of the Illuminati's founding members and the group likes to keep tabs on him.

To help Garnet through it all (or hinder her even more, depending on how you look at it) are two powerful entities. Athena (Goddess of War and Wisdom) and Lilith (Queen of Hell and Mother of Demons) both dwell within Garnet. Neither entity wants to share Garnet, so the witch is being treated to some fun-filled dizzy spells and strange visions. Good thing Garnet can depend on other sources, such as the FBI agent Gabriel Dominguez, for some aid.

*** THREE STARS! Characters from early titles reenter the story in the form of cameos or secondary characters. Word has it that this is to be the final installment of the series; however, I certainly hope that is not the case. I am left with too many questions on the fates of several characters. Written in the First Person, the author continues to treat readers with magical and humorous fun. Yet this time I never felt the danger, dread, or suspense as I did while reading the previous tales. Still, this story is a good choice to take along on your next vacation. ***

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.
This is not a good finish to this series. It is difficult to know exactly what the author is playing at here. She introduces a whole set of new gods and godesses, mixing and choosing between different faiths and mythologies. Sebastian appears to be rather castrated and his role in the story is mainly to disapprove of Garnet and give her opportunities to hide things from him. We discover that Garnet wasn't very nice once upon a time, people appear quite peeved with her but it seems to have no effect. She returns to the scene of her original trauma and even raises the ghosts of the Vatican slayers and appears to have no remorse but to shrug off what Lilith did. Parish and Izzy and her new coven are absent. And then there are trolls, and characters from fairy stories !

Too many ideas, no real narrative structure and no real idea why she is stopping the series now. It actually makes you appreciate how well written the MaryJanice Davidson Betsy Taylor books actually are. This series has never been one of my absolute favourites but this is not a fitting end to what went before.
on 27 June 2015