Published on 9 Sep 2010 by Roroblu's Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars A 'setting the scene book'
I, like many of the reviewers are an avid fan of Maya Banks and have enjoyed everything she has published, I do agree with the reviewer who also stated that her sweet series was getting a little out of hand with all the menages between friends, and it was a nice change for her to write a genre starting off a new series.

I agree that this is very similar in...
Published on 8 Jan 2011 by C. E. Batt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start to a new series that's very much like Lora Leigh's ELITE OPS, 9 Sep 2010
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Darkest Hour, The (KGI Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
Maya Banks can be a bit hit-and-miss for me, e.g. for me, her Sweet series started off sexy and fun, but then got a touch yuck with all the 'friends-menage' sex (I have no problems with menage, just the bunch of friends doing each other in various combos - think in-breeding...), so I was hopeful that this would be the start of a great new series. I think it will be, and as other than Ethan, the lead in this tale, we get to know his 5 brothers at at least 4 of his friends, who all sound as if they will get their own tales, though perhaps some might be novellas. All the guys either have Navy, Army or military backgrounds, so that's half the tales done - as well as guaranteed sales - already.

As this is the first book in the series, there was a lot that the author needed to tell us about KGI, and whilst, yes, all of the explanations were necessary, I did find it a touch complicated to remember so many guys, and when the friends got added to the mix, it was even more to take in, but once that foundations were settled, all was fine and we got treated to a decent tale.

Ethan and Rachel were married for three years when a year ago, on a charity mission to South America, she disappeared and eventually her belongings and personal effects made their way to Ethan and he buried her and has mourned her since. On the first anniversary of her death, he receives a parcel containing pictures of someone who looks a lot like her, though thinner, ill-looking and also GPS coordinates and a note telling him that she's alive and needs rescuing - so Ethan and the KGI gang go in and get her.

That's basically it, as you will see from the published blurb of the book, but what makes the tale is what happens after the rescue: the tenderness and care that former-Navy Seal Ethan shows as he tries to rebuild his relationship and marriage, the gentle person that Rachel is, and her amnesia, the way in which all the Kelly family and friends band together to help her is a tale of love and loyalty. I am not going to go into detail, but it's not all roses - there are emotional trials, there are baddies and blood and there is danger, but eventually, there is a HEA.

I was also fine that because of the nature of this tale, the raunchy sex scenes for which the author is noted were a touch more tame here, and came later in the book, but the balance was entirely right: the scenes were sexual, but healing, romantic and sensual and paced very well, given Rachel's trauma. There weren't quite as many as I, and probably other readers, would hope for, but that's because of the tale, yet again. However, now that the scene has been set for this series, and the hunks described yummily enough (strangely, though, Ethan's description was the sketchiest of all) that you want to read the next straight away and because from the sneak preview of the start of the next brother's tale that is included at the end, this series will, I hope, move a touch faster.

In many ways, with the guys' 'military', to use the term loosely, backgrounds, this series reminded me very much of the Lora Leigh series Elite Ops, with a touch of her SEALS series, but the male leads don't quite come across as as tortured as many of the latter's male leads. This tale, reminded me very very much of Wild Card, where Nathan and Sabella have to find each other after being married, then parted through 'death', and then reunited. A really decent tale, and I already have the next two in the series on pre-order, with the others to follow as soon as amazon advertises them!

3.0 out of 5 stars A 'setting the scene book', 8 Jan 2011
C. E. Batt "Mrs 'B'" (Halstead Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darkest Hour, The (KGI Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)

I agree that this is very similar in content to the Lora Leigh Navy Seals books, and quite frankly I also think Lora's books have the edge here.

I didnt warm at all to the two main characters Ethan and Rachel, in starting a new series Maya concentrated on introducing us to all the preiphery characters and forgot to flesh out the main ones, hardly anything was written regarding Ethan and it was due to this fact tht I couldnt relate to him, the other brothers in particular Sam, Garett & Donovan the writer made us hungry to read more and I am currently reading Sams story which already after 1 chapter is far better than this book.

I would say that this book is a means to an end in introducing us to the new series, read it for what it is worth in introducing the characters and leave it at that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great new series, 3 Oct 2010
Laura (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Darkest Hour, The (KGI Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I am fairly new to Maya Banks but enjoyed this book. I found it very emotional. At the time Rachel went to South America, her marriage to Ethan was on the rocks but none of his family knew anything about it. When Rachel is rescued, she remembers Ethan and his brother Garret but there is a dream she keeps having where Ethan seems angry with her. Ethan is trying so hard to right his wrongs - hence the very emotional scenes.

As previous reviewer states, it is similar to Lora Leigh series Elite Ops and I thoroughly enjoyed those (well actually, not that much since the last three offerings!). I agree there are a lot of characters to get used to but I can see it being a good series of books and have got the next ones on my wish list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad..., 29 Jun 2014
Well it didn't set my world on fire but, that being said, The Darkest Hour wasn't half bad. A pretty decent storyline, likeable enough characters and some pretty steamy sex scenes.
If you're looking for a little light (if predictable) reading and a nice H.E.A. then you could certainly do worse than give this a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 27 Jun 2014
Another insight into the lives of the the close knit Kelly family. You must read on.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 26 Mar 2014
When ethan brings his wife home from south America after she been held prisoner for a year she has no memory of their life together before or any memories of their family so it feels like they are falling in love again but ethan has a reason why he is worried when her memories return and he wonders if she can forgive him, meanwhile someone learns of rachels return from the dead and tries to kill her so its up to the kelly family to find out who it is and why.

Maya Banks is fast becoming one of my favourite authors I loved this book it is sucks you in to the story from the very first page right up until the last page leaving you wanting to read the next in the series, it has just the right amount of romance and action throughout the story, all the characters are great and fully dimensional, plenty of sexy alpha male characters who will get their own story. Brilliant story and im going to download the next in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to the series, 24 Mar 2014
Jo-Anne (Mississauga, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This story is about Rachel Kelly who went to South America with a group of relief workers. On her way back, the plane went

down and she was pronounced dead. Her husband, Ethan, has pretty much stayed drunk for the past year but on the one year anniversary of her death Ethan received a package with pictures of her and a note saying she was alive. The package also contained maps and coordinates of her location so Ethan and his brothers (all highly trained former military) plan a mission and went to get her. They successfully rescue her but Rachel has lost her memory and is addicted to drugs - they kept her drugged while in captivity so she would be easier to handle. This was a pretty thrilling story with the brothers trying to figure out who held Rachel and why. Then, when they realize that someone has found out that Rachel is still alive and keeps trying to have her killed, it gets even more exciting.

I loved the closeness of the family. The brothers were great, highly skilled and had a great 'don't mess with our family' attitude. I didn't really like Rachel much. She couldn't remember much after her year as a captive but she came across as being perfect before she left. I couldn't get around the fact that if she was so perfect, why was Ethan wanting to divorce her? I got tired of hearing her called Sweet Pea and baby all the time too. While Ethan was devastated that Rachael died he really wasn't such a great guy. When Rachel came back, he was more concerned about her remembering that he'd asked for a divorce before she left, than anything else. Then everyone would know he was a jerk.

I liked the brothers and want to read their stories. I did like this book and will be reading more in the KGI series.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Darkest Hour, The (KGI Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
having read the 5th book first i was a bit out of sequens but that didnt really matter was still griped by this one all the way through the book and found it very hard to put down definatly reccomend you read this and the others in the kgi series

4.0 out of 5 stars The Darkest Hour, 31 Oct 2013
This was my first Maya Banks book and I really enjoyed the whole story. I am really looking forward to meeting the rest of the KGI.

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Darkest Hour, The (KGI Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is story 1 of a series of 7 books (I am keeping my fingers crossed for number 8) can be read as stand alone but much more enjoyable read in sequence.
An elite family of seals/special ops running their own business taking top secret missions mainly for the government.
Each book is a story about a specific brother but interacting with his family and the special woman in his life.
I bought the whole 7 books and continued to read them one after the other like a continuous story line.
Each book takes up the story more or less as the other finished but the author does not go over the whys and wherefores, which is great if you have read the book previous.
If you enjoy macho men and special op stories then these books will be for you.
I have read these books twice already and I only purchased them in September they are keep books.
Buy all 7 books and enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Darkest Hour, The (KGI Novels)
Darkest Hour, The (KGI Novels) by Maya Banks (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Sep 2010)