5.0 out of 5 stars War of Words

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Read
Published on 27 Sep 2010 by tiger294

5.0 out of 5 stars War of Words, 9 April 2010
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Practice Makes Perfect (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)
For the last eight years, lawyers Payton Kendall and J.D. Jameson have been at war. A quiet conflict of looks, sarcasm and snide comments disguised beneath fake smiles and phoney camaraderie. Because if there's one thing they both agree on, it's the determination to make partner, and with one month to go, neither want to risk messing things up. It's not like they're competing against each other, anyway.

Until their boss makes an announcement. There's only one partnership place open this year, and the decision is close. It's time for the war to go public, and it's not just personal anymore.

Witty, competitive, intelligent and laugh-out-loud fun, James' second novel sparks from start to finish. Payton and J.D. are so alike in their focus, drive, prideful determination and sarcastic confidence that the only difference between them is where they started from. Circumstances which they're both trying to outgrow.

The tension between the pair is antagonistic and hot, but the humour is what makes this book so good - the coffee shop scene, the coffee and shoe sabotage, the Pride and Prejudice conversations - this book romps along in the best style. A fabulous pick me up, with a surprisingly romantic turn. My only problem is... I still don't know what J.D. stands for!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Read, 27 Sep 2010
I was disappointed with this book as I couldn't find any real connection with the two main characters. Also, when the reader finds out why the two main characters have been at each others throats for 7 years, it just seems a little implausible that one comment that was misconstrued on the second day of knowing each other has led to such hostility for so long. I didn't really feel that you noticed the change in the characters or how they developed. It just felt as though the author said they had fallen in love, therefore they had. You could't feel it develop or the relationship grow. I have read one other of Julie James' books but I got the same impression with that book also although out of the two, the Sexiest Man Alive is the better read (but only marginally). I thought I should read at least 2 of her books before writing her off (no pun intended). I don't think I'll be buying any more of her books. I'll stick to Suzanne Brockmann and Susan Elizabeth Phillips, with a good dose of Diana Palmer thrown in for the ultimate chick lit reads!

5.0 out of 5 stars A LAUGH OUT LOUD GEM!!, 1 July 2010
I absolutely loved this book. I read the review and thought this sounds like the kind of book I need right now... I couldn't have been more RIGHT! Julie James is a star!!

Smart, Witty dialogue, amazing characters with a lot of depth. I laughed 'OUT LOUD' several times, I'm a bookaholic and I can count on one hand when that has happened to me in the past. I have just ordered Ms James's two other books as no doubt they'll be just as great!! what a find!! I am definitely going to fill my bookshelf with Julie James, you should too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Really good wit, 28 Nov 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I would say this is more 3.5 stars. An enjoyable lawyer romp with angsty main characters. Some great wit and lol moments but it kinda just lacked a bit more depth. There was a lot of rambling from the author which was ok in small doses but sometimes I felt it over the top and not necessary to the story. So a little more 'in the moment' story telling needed without the shying off to fill the text with sometimes complete waffle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 July 2012
I agree with a previous review that it is a laugh out loud book especially the saga of the shoes in court!!! So descriptive I was visualising the whole saga taking place in my head and it made me giggle. I was captured from the opening paragraph. It was one of those reads that I couldn't wait to get back into every evening. I'm now reading another of Julie James books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 1 Jun 2014
this was not the best from julie James but still readable. the characters were interesting and I enjoyed the female lead being intelligent and career driven. I preferred - FBI series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practice Makes Perfect, 16 Feb 2014
What an enjoyable and entertaining read. The story is a familiar one, but it was told with a great deal of humour. The side characters were given plenty of flesh, so that they could fill in plot lines and the writing style was fluid.

I liked the setting in a law firm, and sadly the working practices ran all too true - escape one particular court day, which had me in stitches, yet cringing at the scene.

Perfect escapist fun, especially if you are feeling overworked and undervalued.

-Wicked Reads Review Team-

4.0 out of 5 stars A PERFECT WAR, 19 July 2012
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
For the past eight years Payton Kendall and J D Jameson have been at loggerheads. Senior associates in the same top law firm hoping to make partner. On the surface they pretend to be amiable, but beneath that there is real animosity between them. So far they have managed to keep out of each others way. But when they are called into their bosses office and told that they must work together to pitch for a prospective clients case, is when the real trouble begins. To make matters even worse their boss Ben says that the senior partners have decided only one senior associate will make partner this year and it's between the two of them.

I liked this story, but not quite as much as I enjoyed Just the Sexiest Man Alive (Berkley Sensation). There was rather too much legal jargon in this one for me. There were so really funny laugh out loud moments though. I liked the characterisation of both leads, and felt the reader really got to know them. I just felt that the eight years of animosity was a little OTT. For such a silly reason. But this is an extremely well written story, and this author is becoming a firm favourite with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully smart and sexy romance, 30 Dec 2011
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
For eight years lawyers Payton Kendall and J.D. Jameson have been working towards partner in the law firm where they both work. In public they are perfectly civil but in private they constantly try to outdo the other.

But all bets are off when they are asked to work together on a high profile case. As they begin to get to know each other for real the sparks of antagonism turn to the sparks of attraction. But when they are told that only one of them will make partner the war can truly begin. Soon both are getting hot under the collar but who will win in the end?

I have to go right in and express how much I enjoyed this book. I had read (and adored) James' previous book, Just the Sexiest Man Alive, so decided to get her next and now have decided to read every book she's ever written!

There were many reasons for my love of this book. I do enjoy couples that bicker and argue before they realise they're perfect for each other and James' is the master of this type of relationship. Payton is a strong woman but one that you can both relate to and also admire and root for while J.D. is a confident, sexy man who, underneath it all, is vulnerable and in need of the love of a good woman. Together the pair had near palpable chemistry and I loved them separately and as a couple.

The story was interesting and really amusing at points. I could barely put the book down and finished it really quickly as the pages kept on turning. The ending was satisfying and the whole book left me with that upbeat, happy feeling that only the best books can give you.

Overall this was a smart, sexy and funny contemporary romance with great characters and a really enjoyable story. I would highly recommend it and hope that you like it as much as I did. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read, 6 Mar 2011
Practice makes perfect is such an enjoyable story I couldn't put it down. The characters were good and I liked how the story was told from both the male and female characters perspectives. The storyline of the competing sexes was interesting and the competitiveness between the two characters provided some laughs.

Practice Makes Perfect (Berkley Sensation)
Practice Makes Perfect (Berkley Sensation) by Julie James (Mass Market Paperback - 3 Mar 2009)
4.70