5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book
As a newly converted C J Box fan I was roped in even further by this book. The book was interesting with a unique story line that will keep you entralled until the end.

Published on 10 Mar 2011 by A. Kinsella

3.0 out of 5 stars just okay
Published 11 months ago by somnus

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 10 Mar 2011
A. Kinsella - See all my reviews
This review is from: Free Fire: A Joe Pickett Novel (Joe Pickett Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)

Joe Picket starts the book as a ranch foreman having lost his game warden job. This is a massive blow to his self esteem and he is delighted to be reinstated by the Govenor of the state. He is then brought to Yellowstone park (which after the description I am tempted to visit) where he investigates a series of multiple murders where the murderer escaped through a loophole in the law. The storyline is excellent as unlike many books we start off knowing who the killer was but the hunt to bring him to justice is a difficult one. C J Box weaves a fantastic story bringing in many features of the local wildlife and surrounds. These books are defintely something new and different from the norm.

The book is fantastic and the minute I finished I was off to find the next one in the series to see what happens our intrepid hero next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a part of the family, 13 Jun 2012
In this Joe Pickett novel the author has managed to move his key character out of the restrictions of the game warden role and moved him more into a detective come investigator. The freedom allows the story to expand from Wyoming out to the Yellowstone national park and to some more and different challenges.
If like me you have become a Joe Pickett fan then the book is like a very comfortable sweater that you are comfortable in. The style of writing and the family story line is very familiar and I quickly settled in to a very contented read and was not disappointed at all.

If you are reading this with a view to getting into this author then I would strongly emphasise that to get the best out of these books you should start this series at the beginning with "Open Season".

4.0 out of 5 stars Free Fire...commence!, 16 Aug 2012
Mr. Peter Franklin "Pedro" (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
Before I start, I should say that I haven't read any of Box's books before this one and I'm English.

I only mention my nationality because there's only really one thing I could find to complain about with this book. That's the way that nouns are used by the author as verbs by adding "ize" on the end of them. "weaponize" being one of a few examples. This appears common now in the USA, so really, I suppose, who am I to complain?

With that out of the way, I really did enjoy this book. It's evident that this isn't the first outing for these characters, but re-hashing the previous isn't a problem here. There are a few references to the past where needed but this novel excels as a stand-alone story. Box characterizes (see, I'm getting into the swing now) very well and the story is believable. It also develops nicely, grabbing and keeping your interest. The only real deviations are where he waxes lyically about the setting of the story, Yellowstone Park and it's surroundings. If you're going to have a story break, you could do a lot worse. It doesn't come across as a travel advert for Yellowstone, but you do develop a yearning to go there. Perhaps I'll add it to the list of things to do before I die.

To summarise, an excellent book. Wish I'd read the previous one. In fact I think I'll look for more of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where do you commit the Perfect Murder - Yellowstone Park, 19 May 2012
Tom Stronach (Essex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I think by now you will have realised that I am a huge fan of 'Joe Pickett' and indeed the Pickett family and of course Nate Romanowski as written about by Mr Box and I really haven't a bad thing to say about any of his books as I work my way through them, this is number 7 in the reading order of 12 and still I have nothing bad to say, even although for the first time in all seven books I found two errors, one of which was a stupid hyphen in dan-gerous WTF!

Setting aside that, and I have marked it down in my editing for Kindle (Harsh but what can one do), what about the story.Well, you may recall that by the end of, 'In Plain Site' Joe has been sacked from his job as Game Warden and in Free Fire we find him working as Ranch Foreman on his Father-in-laws ranch while Marybeth's accounting business is expanding.

Out of the blue the new Governor turns up in Saddlestring and offers Joe his job back but with strings attached.

A multiple murder has taken place in Yellowstone Park and it looks as if, for the first time ever, anywhere in the world, 'It is the perfect murder'. They know who did it, he even handed himself in immediately after killing 4 people, but they had to let him go!

Yellowstone Park might be in the state, in fact it is in three US states, and therefore comes under Federal law because of its status as a National Park. The Governor thinks the Federal authorities are not doing enough and tells Joe that he wants him to visit the park and find out what the hell's going on, even although he will have no jurisdiction.

After discussing it with Marybeth Joe takes the job, knew he would, and is reinstated as a Game Warden with no loss of service. Director Pope who we don't miss from the story still manages to stick the knife in, by making sure Joe doe's not get his original badge number back which would show him as a senior Warden, instead sending him Badge no 54, reserved for rookies!

Joe sets off for Yellowstone in a brand new truck, you just know what's gonna happen to that, just as Joe can't hit a barn door if he was standing in front of it with his gun, you just know what's gonna happen to that truck (oh, it's deliciously funny) followed by Nate Romanowski as back up.

Soon he is in the thick of it, more murders are committed, and just to mix things up we learn of events from Joe's past, about his brother, how he died and where he is buried. His parents break up and why Joe has hated his father and always avoids discussing him and ghosts from that past become real in Yellowstone all lead to complications in the investigation.

A thrilling climax to the book ends with the FBI and an old adversary from that organisation double crossing Joe and Nate but this after Joe in his usual stumbling way, solves the crime.

This really was /is as good as the previous six books and Mr Box just keeps getting better and better. The Perfect Murder scenario was a master stroke in finding it and building a story around it and it worked well, I wonder if that little loophole has now been closed in reality (hope so, wont be in a hurry to visit that corner of Yellowstone Park until I know it has been!)?

Book 1 - Open Season '
Book 2 - Savage Run '
Book 3 - Winterkill '
Book 4 - Trophy Hunt '
Book 5 - Out of Range '
Book 6 - In Plain Sight '
Book 7 - Free Fire '

Page length on kindle /iPad: 380
Plot: 5 out of 5
Overall Rating: 5 out of 5
You can purchase Free Fire At Amazon UK here or at Amazon US here

CJ Box can be found here

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read by C.J. Box, 14 Aug 2012
I have read several of C.J. Box's Joe Pickett (Wyoming Game Warden) novels and have enjoyed them all. For some reason, I never seem to get them in chronological sequence but it does not seem to matter as the author is able to give just the right amount of previous story summaries to link them all together. The author clearly loves the American wilderness and brings it alive like no other author I have read. If you like the Great Outdoors and want to escape to Yellowstone Park for a gripping (and informative) crime story, this is a great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars just okay, 8 Jan 2014
somnus "somnus" (Cambes Lot et Garonne France) - See all my reviews
Took a long time for this yarn to get started. Actually it never lit my fire and I was left feeling very disappointed. Far too much information and far too little excitement. Not impressed at all with this offering and will be very hesitant about buying another book in this series. Another author who has bulked out the story with far too much description and very little action. If you like a fast paced book then I would not recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 29 July 2012
I have bought the whole set of these and enjoyed all of them. At times abit predictable but worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Oct 2011
Another enjoyable read from CJ Box, I have loved this series and look forward to more.Its a shame they are not all on the kindle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 July 2014
Gripping read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
Excellent as usual.

Free Fire: A Joe Pickett Novel (Joe Pickett Novels)
Free Fire: A Joe Pickett Novel (Joe Pickett Novels) by C.J. (Mass Market Paperback - 24 July 2008)