5.0 out of 5 stars A Bone to Pick
Aurora Teagarden finds she has been left an unexpected legacy. Jane Engle - a fellow member of the now disbanded Real Murders Club - has died and left Aurora her house and all her money but her solicitor implies that there may be a mystery she has to solve as well.

Published on 30 Sept. 2012 by Damaskcat

2.0 out of 5 stars BEYOND BELIEF
Diminutive librarian Aurora again. ("I was doomed to go through life with a crick in my neck.") For her, an unexpected legacy: lots of money and a house. Elation gives rise to horror when she discovers what that house contains....

Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by Mr. D. L. Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bone to Pick, 30 Sept. 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Aurora is pleased with her legacy and it cheers her up after her former boyfriend, Arthur Smith the police detective has suddenly married a colleague. She is less than pleased when she goes to her new house and finds someone has broken into it.

This is an intriguing mystery with Aurora trying to work out exactly what the problem is that she has to deal with. The appearance of part of a skeleton at the end of the road adds to the mystery which Aurora feels she needs to unravel after a note written by Jane saying `I didn't do it' falls out of one of her books. I really enjoyed reading this story and found myself turning the pages even though I had intended to read something else.

This is the second book in the Aurora Teagarden mystery series which started with Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries): An Aurora Teagarden Mystery and continues with Three Bedrooms, One Corpse: An Aurora Teagarden Novel (AURORA TEAGARDEN MYSTERY)

2.0 out of 5 stars BEYOND BELIEF, 9 Nov. 2010
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries) (Mass Market Paperback)

The start intrigues, but sadly the story promptly goes to pieces - behaviour irrational, events ludicrous. "Real Murders" was enjoyable, but this sequel is not in the same league. In fact it is the only one of sixteen Charlaine Harris novels I have read not to have me hooked, merely bitterly disappointed. The plot is to blame, it rarely convincing - especially at the end when all is "explained". A few moments please, the writer as always so adept at describing her characters: "Lizanne was beautiful and agreeable, slow witted but sure, like honey making its inexorable progress across a buttered pancake."

For once, hopefully just this once, a Charlaine Harris book I cannot recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not gripping, 3 April 2010
Lori "book girl" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I listened to the audiobook of this novel. I rather enjoyed the first book in this series and liked the heroine as she is a bit different from the average murder mystery female detective (amateur or otherwise). However, I was not quite as impressed with this one.

In the first one you have a series of grisly murders (but not graphically explained) with a backdrop of a small southern American town. The heroine works as a librarian and is not extremely glamorous or a dare-devil, etc. So along with the thrills (her life and her friends and family lives are in danger) there is a cosy quality to the book and it is like the heroine is a friend.

This one continues with that cosy quality. A little too much for my taste as at times I forgot there was supposed to be a murder being investigated that part of the plot was sidelined so often. The mystery is about Aurora, the heroine, inheriting a house and quickly discovering there is a skull hidden there. So who did it belong to and why was that person murdered? However, a lot of the book focussed on Aurora's life which would have been ok but not much happened. Most of the time she went over the same thoughts and questions about her life mainly centered on the fact that she is not yet married with children.

So if you are looking for a chick lit book with a little bit of murder mystery thrown in then give this book a go. If you hate chick lit and it's preoccupation with romantic relationships then give it a miss.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Gentle Mystery, 11 Sept. 2014
Becca (Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
The point of the Aurora Teagarden mysteries doesn't really seem to be to solve crimes - yes, murders happen, but most of the books' slim pages are more concerned with Roe's determination to find herself a husband and a social life than finding out whodunnit. I thought I wouldn't like them because of this - I'm more of an all-consuming mystery junkie - but with a main character as likeable and relatable as Aurora, it really doesn't matter all that much. She's fun to read about and the mystery in "A Bone to Pick" is intriguing enough, if not really given that much attention. You don't really get to know the victim at all and ergo you don't really care about why they were killed, but the conclusion was satisfactory and once again Harris managed to weave in subtle hints as to the perpetrator without you even really realising they're there.

I'd recommend starting off with the first book in the series, "Real Murders", just on the off-chance you're reading this review in order to gauge whether or not to try the books. If you're a serious crime/thriller reader then they might not be for you, but if you're looking for a quick afternoon read with a quirky main character and a small mystery, the Teagarden books are definitely your thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, easy-to-read series, 10 April 2010
H. White (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
'Cozy mysteries' aren't usually the type of books that I go for - I'm a big fan of forensic mysteries (Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell and Jefferson Bass are my favourites). However, I picked the first Aurora Teagarden mystery up whilst on holiday in America last summer and really enjoyed it - I started it at the airport on the way home and had finished it by the time we landed! I then went on to buy this book, the second in the series, and was not disappointed.

The book is very easy to read and the plot is engrossing. Although this is a mystery, it isn't one that requires you to think too hard, and is a nice relaxing read that you can pick up anytime of day. I found that I would sit down for just half an hour and find that an hour or so had passed without me really realising it, the book was that enjoyable.

I have read most of the Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series but these are totally different. They aren't gruesome, the characters are believable and loveable, and I find the books make a nice break between more 'hard-core' mysteries.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather Tame, 6 Sept. 2010
H. Brown (London) - See all my reviews
I am enjoying these mysteries, although they are rather tame. It's not bad, amusing in places but the main character can be rather irritating at times. Will persevere with the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
enjoyed each book in the series so far

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read., 18 Nov. 2013
Was a good read from beginning to end. Though I think that it could have been a little bit longer. The ending just seemed to spring from nowhere. But it was still enjoyable. Read if you like the sookie Stackhouse novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the whole series, 19 Mar. 2013
I have read all of Charlaine Harris' books and love each individual series. I started off reading the True Blood books and this was the next series of books that I have read. The authors writing style is easy to read and she really fleshes out the characters and storyline. This is a crime series but with an undercurrent of other stories and twists.

5.0 out of 5 stars BONE TO PICK, 22 Feb. 2010
J. Byne "Jeannette Stirling" (Central scotland) - See all my reviews
In the past when I have found a writer that I enjoyed and purchased other books from same author I have found that they are like reading the same book over and over again.

I love this prolific writer, her books are like a good gossip with friends. I find that I can't wait for her next book. I have read nearly all the Teagarden mysteries and all the Trueblood books. I have pre-ordered several of Charlaine Harris books.

My one tip is try to read them in correct order.

A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries)
A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries) by Charlaine Harris (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Feb. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01