Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

This is the first book that I have read by Margaret Frazer but I was so impressed by the attention to historical detail that I will now be on the lookout for any others that I can lay my hands on. It is very refreshing at a time when a lot of the historical novels being churned out at the moment are mediocre in the extreme to find an author who loves her subject and is prepared to take the time to research it. Many authors think that the research time is better used by churning out another book. Some reader's may say that there is too much historical detail but I thought that it added more credence to the story.

The characters are both believable and likable and the storyline revolves around Joliffe a traveling actor and playwright and the insight into the theatrical world of the time is both interesting and enlightening. In this particular story Joliffie and the company of players act as spies among the Lords of the land as they vie for the coveted position of regent to young Henry VI. However when men begin to die violent deaths, the players become fearful for their own lives.
on 17 October 2007
every word counts towards a picture of medieval London which is as crisp and well-observed - and above all, as convincing - as if it were happening today. The plot is excellent, the historical narrative is effortlessly informative [I know far more now about the interconnectedness, and therefore the reasons for all the plottings, among the noble families] and the story carries you along at a fast trot. I really like the characters, their profession is real, not an excuse for the story, and they are thoroughly professional in all that they do.
All in all, for a fascinating, not too demanding, and totally entertaining read by a first-rate author .. do read this!