Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Whilst this book does tie in with the rest of the Breeds books, the characters are less developed and less sympathetic than in the other books. Breeds are supposed to immediately recognise their Mates, with the male being a typical Alpha, but here, Tanner seems softer than the other males. He's watched his mate having menage and straight sex with 5 other guys over the last 10 years, and never once made a move on her, yet we're supposed to believe that immediately they get together, he realises that she's the one for him. Also, she was pregnant, had had the baby aborted against her wishes, yet she does not appear traumatised by this, and in fact seems rather cold. Overall it was an ok read, and Dawn's Awakening (2008 publication) is introduced, and at first glance appears to be a better read. Tanner's Scheme for me is a read-and-sell-on book, rather than a keeper like the 3 Elloras Cave Breeds books.
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2007
Finally got my hands on a copy of this and read it in one speed-read gulp - I will give it the care it deserves over the next day or so. I enjoyed it, more so than Megan's Mark, maybe even more so that Harmony's Way - why? I think because the dread mating heat didn't kick in immediately so there was a voluntary element to their attraction. Okay, okay, admittedly he kidnaps her with a view to enjoying her carnally (to put it politely) before handing her over to Breed Law, but she isn't exactly reluctant!
I think she was traumatised by the abortion - she certainly fights her need to trust Tanner for a long time because of the damage done by her past - even after she's admitted that she loves him she still can't trust.
The last reviewer mentions that Tanner watched her having sex with other men - well yes - she was suspected of being a major enemy to the Breeds, and as for not realising she was his mate - he didn't even after they'd shared quite a lot of wild sex, so you can't really blame him for not cottoning on when he was watching over satellite links!
There are moments in the Megan and Harmony books where I feel slightly uncomfortable with the coercive nature of the relationships (hormonal as well as Jonas' manipulations and male domination). I didn't get that here.
A spot of spanking, a spot of voyeurism (I think she missed a trick with the twins - a joint mating could have been interesting to explore!), and a lot of sex - put that together with a good story line and you have a great book.
When Tanner asks her not to leave him - ah, that was nice!
This stands alone well, but reading Megan and Harmony gives background. I've not read any of the Ellora Cave books - they're tricky to find in the UK
on 4 June 2013
I loved this book. In fact it may be my favourite book in this series. I won't tell you the storyline as that would be giving things away but I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to get a little hot under the collar with their romance and who enjoys a good storyline.
on 24 November 2007
I'm a reader who finds the Breed mythos more offensive than the smut. But I expect most readers will find the smut more worthy of comment.

Anyway. Here goes. Some major flaws.

Tanner, the hero, repeatedly comes off second best in the mind of the heroine when compared to her first great love, the treacherous Chazz, who is offed without regret in the opening chapters. Sorry. Tanner is one big weirdo. He has watched Scheme have sex with other men for 10 years and has convinced himself she didn't really, really enjoy herself and that he is the one true guy she needs. Of course, Scheme can't tell him that he's some kind of twisted psycho stalker because he's holding her prisoner for the first third of the novel.

Here's what Scheme says about herself.

"All Tanner had to do was withhold one orgasm. Made her wait and then asked her anything. The lives she would have betrayed would be gone forever, because she was weak." (p160)

So by her own admission. Scheme lives through her t.w.a.t. And everything else. Loyalty, honor, is secondary to that.

A fundamental flaw in this novel is this. I don't think the case is made that Scheme is one of the good guys. Ok. Scheme deliberately made mistakes to save lives. But as is clearly stated in the book. Her signature is present on orders to kill innocent Breeds. Scheme has to answer for those actions in a court of law. A Human Rights court. She would fail and be convicted if her only defence was `I had no choice; my father forced me to sign.' Playing the numbers game of `I killed some in order to save others.' is also not a clear defence. The morally correct action for Scheme to have taken would have been to leave her father's organisation completely.

But of course. Scheme was quite happy with her Dad and the upscale lifestyle he provided until he drugged her to abort her child, which happened when she was about 22 yo. Hmm. So all the Breed suffering in the labs meant nothing to her. See what I mean. If some of my pride siblings had been killed with Scheme's consent, and she turned up at Sanctuary, I would make one big fuss, mating heat or not.

I could say a lot more negative words on the world-building. But I won't. Because despite all the offensive stuff this is a thoroughly entertaining read. I didn't really warm to the main couple at all but they are both interesting characters. We get a date in this novel for the events that occur. 2023. Much too short a distance in the future.

Did I mention the smut? There's absolutely tons of it in this novel. I didn't get offended by it at all. I totally admire writers who can churn out 6 or 7 good novels a year.
on 17 April 2012
Fantastic storyline lov the Bengal twins. Scheme has met her match i'n tanner. I lov these books please can we have more!!!!
on 9 May 2010
About 1/3 of the way in I realised I had read another one in this series which had exactly the same plot as this one - I had clearly managed to suppress thoughts of it so that I didn't remember until the vileness of this one reminded me. It is very bizarre and boring to read about mating urges and very over-blown sex where the only way to cope with mating heat is to have even more sex (yawn). Scheme and Tanner (yes, they are their names) are very one-dimensional and as for Scheme's father, he is so beyond any sense of reality that it just doesn't make sense. I have no idea why anyone would choose to read this series - I bought this one for 50p outside a Lifeboat station and have to say that I was robbed.
on 2 July 2010
wow i loved this book and bought it despite the low star ratings, i hev read it 3 times.... love tanner
on 18 March 2015
Good
on 14 June 2016
Yup
on 28 September 2010
I didn't think I was going to like this book, but I plodded on with it and I must say I was glad because I really did enjoy it.