1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 29 Oct 2007
rhian_eve (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wine, Tarts, & Sex (Paperback)
Sometimes I wonder what happened to Susan Johnson. With her most recent offerings I fret that perhaps someone removed her brain and replaced it with a machine.

Yet I still buy her books. I buy them in the hope that she will have regained her romantic sensibilities, the sensibilities that made books like Blaze and Pure Sin such fantastic reads. This has yet to happen. With her contemporary offerings I read versions of Sex and the City that completely miss the point.

Wine, Tarts and Sex introduces us to Jake, Miss Johnson's favourite type of hero; macho, worldly and promiscuous. Liv, our heroine, is almost a mirror-image of Jake - if you were to replace macho with ultra-feminine. Jake is a famous chef and Liv a winemaker trying to sell him her wares. The foundation of the relaitonship is great sex and little else. Not enough time is given to defining their relationship - other than the sexual side of it - and as a conequence you plow through the pages without really caring how it ends.

As if that wasn't enough another two characters are thrown in for good measure; Roman and Janie. Perhaps if these characters were given their own 'show' then we'd be more interested but the fact is that, given the content of this book, there just isn't enough time for them and they seem sketchy. This was particularly annoying since the main plot seemed to be driven by them and yet characterisation was focused on Jake and Liv. A confusing and baffling writing technique.

What you end up with is two half relationships, shallow characters and mildly erotic sex. Quite frankly its disappointing and insufficient.

The book left me frustrated and while I read it I didn't enjoy doing so. I like reading erotica as much as I like reading romance but this book is under-developed in both sectors.

ARRAY(0xb1fcd174)

Wine, Tarts, & Sex
Wine, Tarts, & Sex by Susan Johnson (Paperback - 3 July 2007)
8.24