1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 26 Jun. 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wizards: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy (Hardcover)
You may think you know wizards. You may think you know magic. But the wizards in these stories just might have a few surprising tricks up their sleeves.

"The Witch's Headstone" contains a dead sorceress who's more kind than creepy, despite the warnings to the contrary. "Holly and Iron" centers around an ancient magical battle where one unprepared woman could unite or destroy two races. In "The Ruby Incomparable" the only daughter of Good and Evil has mastered most of the secrets of the universe, but she can't understand her own mother. In "Winter's Wife" money is no match for the power of magic. The list goes on, and each story will make you rethink what you thought you knew. Or maybe confirm it.

Some of the authors you'll recognize. Some may be completely new. All of them have found a fan in me.

I'll be the first to admit I usually dislike collections of short stories. I feel like I'm being cheated if they're good, and fooled if they're not. Another thing I had to rethink after reading this book. I fell back in love with the authors that I knew, learned more about ones that I'd only heard of, and discovered brand new obsessions. This is a must for fantasy fans, and a great introduction for newcomers.

Reviewed by: Carrie Spellman