4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good- but could have been better

3.0 out of 5 stars a cut above some other books I've read
Published on 15 Nov 2010 by Rebecca

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good- but could have been better, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dead Sexy (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the first book in this series (Tall, Dark and Dead) and I was looking forward to reading this follow up. Garnet is a witch running a new age shop. She shares her body with the goddess, Lilith after calling her down to help in a time of need. She is dating Sebastian (not your run of the mill vampire- magically created rather than turned) and putting up her ex Parrish (run of the mill vampire).
It starts out as expected with more of the Garnet/Sebastian relationship and complications added by her ex Parrish. There's a little too much recapping for my liking in the beginning (really- why would you read this without reading the first book? If you are considering doing that, I wouldn't).
Due to the events at the end of the first book, Sebastian and Garnet are more closely linked than before, able to sense each other's feelings etc and the goddess Lilith inhabits them both. Handy as it happens, because there's is more trouble headed their way. The FBI are on Garnet's trail about the Vatican murders she was involved in in her past. The FBI agent, Dominguez, happens to be inconveniently psychic but on the plus side he is pretty yummy looking as well. Garnet hopes to keep him at bay by using a love potion- sounds like a great plan doesn't it? Perhaps not! Parrish wants to help put them off the scent, after all he helped dispose of the bodies, but Sebastian is less than keen on his presence.

This part of the storyline is engaging enough and there are plenty of the ingredients that made the first book a winner. However, this time, I felt a bit frustrated at how slowly Garnet's relationships with Parrish and Sebastian move on. Sebastian is even more inaccessible than before- dark and moody is fine, don't get me wrong, but why doesn't Garnet try to explain things to him better? Why isn't she a little clearer with Parrish about her feelings for him?

Also there is a very distracting side story involving zombies and Garnet's colleague William. That really could have been left out in favour of fleshing out the main story better.

So, I would recommend that you read this, if you enjoyed the first one. Just don't be surprised if it falls a little bit flat. Even saying that, it's still a lot better than many of the books aimed at women that are out there.
I have got the third book and I'm hoping that will win me over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Dead Sexy (Paperback)
would recommend this series to anyone who loves chick flicks and vampires...feel good easy reading & funny with some dark twists and turns

3.0 out of 5 stars a cut above some other books I've read, 15 Nov 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Garnet Lacey Series Book 2, 29 Jan 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dead Sexy (Paperback)
This is the second book in the Garnet Lacey series & continues the story from a few months after the last book ended. Now that Garnet & Sebastian have managed to avoid the Vatican witch hunters life should be back to normal but that all changes when an FBI agent turns up at the store to question Garnet. He wants to question her about the murders of 6 Vatican witch hunters the year before. Garnet panics and realising that she is the prime suspect she tries to hide her identity. The fact that the FBI agent is psychic doesn't help so she takes matters into her own hands by creating a love spell that she hopes will get him to listen to her side of the story.

She is still dating Sebastian but her jealousy issues are causing problems just like they did with her ex Parrish - she doesn't want him to feed from her but hates the fact that he has to feed from others to survive. It doesn't help that she is keeping secrets from him - he has no idea that Lilith killed the 6 Vatican witch hunters or that Parrish is currently hiding out in her basement. Throw in the fact that Garnet is coming across zombies at every turn and things are bound to get interesting.

I really loved the first book in this series but while I still enjoyed Dead Sexy I don't think it quite lived up to my expectations. This story wasn't as fast paced as the previous one and I don't feel that there was as much comedy this time. If you liked the first book then you'll probably still enjoy this one - it was still a cut above some other books I've read but I'm hoping that the third book will be even better.

ARRAY(0xacbf68d0)

Dead Sexy
Dead Sexy by Tate Hallaway (Paperback - May 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01