5.0 out of 5 stars Cozy crime
This is a typical "cozy crime", as opposed to Patricia Cornwell et al. I am a fan of her as well, but sometimes I prefer to bundle up with a cup of tea and a book like this.

The characters are likeable, the setting is rural and comforting, the plot has interesting twists. Also, the cinnamon buns (recipe included) are lovely!

You don't have to be a...
Published on 2 Aug. 2006 by M. Øynes

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok Reading For A Wet Afternoon
I have to admit that I bought this book purely based on its knitting connection. A mystery involving knitting intrigued me and although I wondered whether the author might possibly be jumping on a trend and milking it, I decided that as I usually enjoy the odd cosy crime, I'd give it a try.

I think Ms. Sefton probably had good intentions with the story but...
Published on 25 Feb. 2006 by Wicked Woman

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok Reading For A Wet Afternoon, 25 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Knit One, Kill Two (Knitting Mysteries) (Mass Market Paperback)

I think Ms. Sefton probably had good intentions with the story but unfortunately it didn't work for me. There were far too many characters involved and as their personalities weren't well developed, it was difficult to differentiate between them and keep track of who was doing what and why.

As far as the mystery itself goes, it didn't exactly keep me on the edge of my chair although it was ok. Big clues as to the answer started to turn up about two thirds into the book and it was all nicely unravelled at the end.

All in all the book's not too bad but nothing to get excited about. If you've nothing else to read on a wet afternoon and enjoy cosy crimes without demanding too much of them, this is probably worth reading. I certainly wouldn't recommend putting it at the top of your 'must read' list, though.

(If I could have given this 2.5 stars then I would have. It isn't quite deserving of 3 but deserves more than 2).

5.0 out of 5 stars Cozy crime, 2 Aug. 2006
M. Øynes (drammen, norway) - See all my reviews

You don't have to be a knitter to enjoy this book, but you may, like me, get the motivation to begin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Knit One, Kill Two by Maggie Sefton, 18 Sept. 2007
Anglers Rest (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
The first in the series, and what a great book - I'm glad I bought the other two in the series!

Kate has returned to the town when she spent some time growing up. She has inherited from her Aunt a lovely cottage, following her aunt's murder, add to that the appearance of a distant cousin, and a missing family quilt, then another death........

5.0 out of 5 stars Knit One, Kill Two, 20 May 2008
K. Roycroft "LadyK" (England) - See all my reviews
I've read and enjoyed other knitting stories, but this one really grabbed my interest. It's a clever little plot and I honestly didn't figure out the killer until it was revealed at the end. The ending is very swift and leaves it open for the author to continue the series so you'll have to read the other books to see where Kelly ends up. I thought the style of writing and emotions displayed by the characters was more developed than some of the other knitting mystery books I've read, and I like the bold personalities that the author has created for her characters. In my opinion it's a good book, and I hope the rest of the series is as fun to read.

The book also includes knitting patterns for a chunky scarf and a shell top, and there is a recipe for the cinamon buns - all are refered to through the book so if you're inspired to get creating the information is all there for you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 6 Nov. 2011
If you are a fan of cosy crime and knitting you might enjoy this book. But I found the knitting theme was over worked and there seemed to be more written about knitting than actual plot line. I ended up skimming through all the descriptions of wool, knitting patterns, spinning etc etc. I also had trouble differentiating between some of the main characters; Megan, Jennifer and the other younger character (whose name I can't even remember she made that much of an impact on me) seem interchangeable. I kind of liked Kelly but the rest of the cast didn't really jump off the page and come alive.

If the knitting aspect had been toned down, and the characters rounded out this could have been a good book. I was wondering if the 2nd in the series improved, but I don't think I will be spending the money finding out.

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit like the plot of mid-season filler episode of a second-rate daytime TV show, 26 Aug. 2011
Mr. B. Garvin (Aberdeen, Écosse) - See all my reviews
I found this book in a take a book, leave a book shelf in a campsite in France. And I wish I had left it.

Interestingly the book I read immediately before this one was also crime novel. In 'The Bugles Blowing' by Nicholas Freeling, the murderer makes himself known to the detective in the very first chapter. That book had more suspense and intrigue that this book.

The dialogue in the book is simply dreadful; it's full of unnecessary descriptive words. Nobody actually says anything but they gush, tweak, sooth and do dozens of other things when they talk; this gets pretty annoying after about two pages.

The characters are not very well written either. Pretty much stock characters such as the slightly slutty one, the stern but matronly one, the sweet but slightly dotty old lady etc. all straight out of central casting as they say. A few background scenes are inserted to give the characters a bit of depth are often as not handled with such bland, mealy-mouthed prudishness that completely fails to be either believable or humourous.

The main character, Kelly, is neither credible nor interesting as a protagonist. She's supposed to be some sort of whizz-kid accountant but has only a few thousand dollars of savings to show for it, and who goes around speaking of financial prudence, despite owning an expensive (and unbelievably intelligent) dog and renting a townhouse in Washington that is clearly too large and expensive for her needs and budget. Basically, she has most of the hallmarks of a classic Mary-Sue character.

The whole story wraps up with a bunch of clunking great plot devices being slung in pretty much at random from about the middle of the book onwards.

Avoid this book. If you enjoy reading about knitting, get a book about that and if you want to read a crime novel, there are plenty of better ones than this piece of rubbish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Great reading - extremely enjoyable - nicely written

5.0 out of 5 stars Maggie Sefton book, 14 Oct. 2013
This is a first time read for me and I loved the flow of the story, none of the going back and recapping all the time. I also don't like books in which there are too many characters and too many twists in the tale - I like to enjoy an easy read and this was just that. I will be looking out for and reading more of Maggie Sefton's books in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 27 Mar. 2013
D. hutchins "Cooking gardener" (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
If you enjoy knitting and a good murder mystery you'll probably enjoy this book. Set in America so you absorb a bit of the knitting crafting culture from there too. I enjoyed it and have passed it on to other people, including my daugher who enjoyed it too. I just whish there was a similar knitting shop/ cafe near here.

5.0 out of 5 stars knit one kill two, 13 Feb. 2013
very good reading a good price I will be able to get some more books in the series the book arrived when the sellar said it would

Knit One, Kill Two (Knitting Mysteries)
Knit One, Kill Two (Knitting Mysteries) by Maggie Sefton (Mass Market Paperback - Jun. 2005)