5.0 out of 5 stars super splintering

Published on 23 July 2005 by CharlesH

5.0 out of 5 stars super splintering, 27 Dec. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
I'm a huge fan of Ubisoft's brilliant 'Splinter cell' games and wasn' t quite sure how their hero Sam Fisher would translate into a the literary form. I shouldn't have worried, though, David Michaels has done a really excellent job. The story is set in our here and now, immersed in the politics and wars and conflicts that are currently being waged in the middle east and this gives the story and immediacy and reality that I wasn't expecting for a fictional hero. The Splinter Cell game is played in the third person, but Michaels has cleverly presented Sam Fisher in the first person - and it works! For the first time we get to learn of Fisher's views on politics, war, women and the people he works with, and it gives us a much more rounded picture of Sam Fisher. This is an engrossing story, thoroughly researched and, surprisingly, very educational, with Michaels highlighting, through Sam's thougts, the different cultures and histories of the middle east.
Exciting stuff, hard to put down and I can't wait for the next Splinter Cell novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the reviews, read it for yourself and enjoy this incredible piece of literature., 13 July 2014
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
I tend to stay away from book reviews before i buy them as theres always someone complaning giving the book a negative depiction of the literature. I was skeptical at first as the reviews tended to have mixed emotions aswell as the fact it wasn't actually written by Tom Clancy himself but rather just given his seal of approval. This is a good read and had me on edge towards the end, have ordered the second one straight away. A must read for splinter cell fans although it does stray away from the game narrative alot which lead us here in the first place but i feel it worked in the books favor. The book re-creates Sam Fisher as a ruthless splinter cell who does what it takes to get the job done rather than taking orders no questions ask like the game depiction. It is not just from Sam's perspective and gives you intriguing character development for all the main characters which, i must admit can be a little tedious at times (Theres one chapter that just rambles on about what bagel shop a big ceo banker is deciding to use and why.) Looking forward to the next one now, if its anything like the first it should make a great read aswell.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a good quick book., 23 Jun. 2008
Robert P. Green (England, Leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
This really is a Splinter Cell game, only in a book and maybe not as long, but definatly Splinter Cell.

Im a huge fan of the Splinter Cell series and didnt think I would have liked this novel, but I was wrong.

All the gadgets he uses, how he uses them all right in place and as they should be, nothing wrong with this, or any other Splinter Cell book for that matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love this book, 7 Mar. 2012
Mr. D. Spring - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book, i have just ordered every single splinter cell book that is available, aswell as both ghost recon and hawx. i must admit it is written a bit strangely but i like it, it has got so much action and the writer goes into great detail on everything, so you can actually picture your self in sam fisher shoes. Once you start reading it you cant put it down, you think one more chapter and ill do some work but Nooo, the book wants you to keep reading it. If you dont like action packed stealth missions, or aint fascinated about weapon technology becuase you dont understand what all this means, well thats your problem, this book is a top dog cant wait to start the other 1. It makes me want to go buy the game again and start playing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars FRIKIN AWSOME!, 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
DANG, this book should have been made into a game. A good story line, it got me hooked from the start, with lots of ass kickin n name takeing. A true 10 out of 10 read. the thinking man's book.

NOW GIVE ME A BREAK AND SHUT UP!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars No no no, 23 July 2005
CharlesH (London, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
I picked up this book when I was at the airport seeing the cover and obviously thinking it to be pretty good as I was a fan of the game. Sadly, it does disappoint if your expecting this to be in the same style as other Tom Clancey novels. Its told from two perspectives which does make the book confusing. Every chapter involving the main character is from the first person while the rest of the narative is as standard which does make you wonder whether this was a different technique or just poorly written. It seems to rely on teh fact it has 'Tom CLancey' written in big lettering to make you assume the book is well written when it infact is not! If you must read this book, borrow a friends or get it from a library.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 6 Mar. 2008
Carl Willetts - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
Normally when I see a Tom Clancy book I cant wait to read it. This book seemed to have something missing.
I failed to see any suspense in the story. It was a very heavy read and I didnt get anything from the story. I had to end my reading of the book before I got to the end. I dont like leaving a book half read, especially a Tom Clancy book but it was becoming a chore having to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam Fisher fans will LOVE this book!, 17 Jan. 2010
Mrs. S. Hall (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
I'm a HUGE fan of Spinter Cell, reading this book I felt like I was playing the actual game. Very true to the story of Sam Fisher's personality, with great weapon detail. I read this on the train and had lot's of eyes of intrigue on my book!

I don't see why the need for TOM CLANCY's name so large on the front as David Michaels (psydo) deserves more credit for keeping it to the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, nice easy read, 19 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
A lot of people who read real best-seller books could probably find fault with this, but I feel that it is a good read! The 1st person element is excellent if I'm honest, it also flits into 3rd person occasionally which offers a great 3 dimensional feel to the story! Its just fun to read if I'm honest!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, that captures the splinter cell series well., 23 July 2010
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Paperback)
This book was really good and fitted with the splinter cell series. Unlike the games the story was cool and has a few twists. Having the book in "First person" from Sam Fischers perspective was quite well done. I recomend it and will definitley check out the others!

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell by David Michaels (Paperback - 30 Nov. 2005)