4.0 out of 5 stars A rip-roaring all-action thriller - typical Cussler
Published on 28 Nov 2001 by Trevor S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Early and it shows
I have read most of the Dirk Pitt novels and always enjoy them and look forward to the next one.
While I suspect that I might have read "The Mediterranean Caper" as "Mayday" a long time ago I recently bought it for my Kindle.
As I read it I kept thinking about how untypical it was and how silly/juvenile it was.
Now I realize that it was the first Dirk Pitt...
Published 15 months ago by Bowner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A rip-roaring all-action thriller - typical Cussler, 28 Nov 2001
Trevor S. (Atherstone, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is an exciting novel with, perhaps an improbable plot - but if you don't like improbable plots there's no point in reading Cussler! It has all the necessary elements - action, excitement, technical detail. There is only one downside - it is a re-issue of an early Dirk Pitt novel which was, in the meantime, issued under the title 'Mayday!' - So don't buy both, or you'll be as disappointed as I was!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dirk Pitt's entrance novel is a fun ride, 21 Nov 2004
Darren Harrison "DVD collector and reviewer" (Washington D.C.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt Adventure) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have a certain fondness for this Cussler novel, sure its missing some of those fun "pretitles" style preludes that tie together seemingly unrelated historical events in an ingenious manner and it's also very politically incorrect (but not as much as PACIFIC VORTEX is). But, this Dirk Pitt adventure (the first published, though Cussler wrote the aforementioned PACIFIC VORTEX first), is a fun ride of a novel and moves along at a fast pace (it's actually one of Cusslers shortest, if not THE shortest). With some very vivid fight scenes and some nice Alistair Maclean-esque plotting (apparently Cussler used the late Scottish writer's work as a template until he found his own style) this Cussler novel really delivers and I made fast work of it reading over a weekend about a year ago.
Starting with the attack on a US airfield in the Greek islands by a biplane and involving smuggling, German fighter aces and the trademark underwater sequences for which Cussler is perhaps best known for (through his non-fiction writings as much as for Dirk Pitt) I can guarantee that this novel will no doubt charm even the harshest of Cusslers critics as long as they take it for what it is - some harmless. Mildly diverting fun.
On a sidenote, all the reviewers who are commenting on the bad writing should really lighten up, this was after all one of Clive Cussler's earliest works :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Of all of Cussler's books I liked this one best!, 1 July 1998
By A Customer
I will keep this review short. I have read all of Cussler's works over the past dozen years or so. I read The Mediterranean Caper perhaps ten years ago. To this day I still believe that it was my favorite of the Dirk Pitt stories. If you are a new fan of Cussler - pull this older book out. It is a classic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Early and it shows, 12 April 2013
Now I realize that it was the first Dirk Pitt book and that explains it all.
I will forget it and remember instead all the good ones which came later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present, 15 Dec 2013
I have rated this a 5 though I haven't read it. It is for someone for Christmas who couldn't find it anywhere, it is worth a five just to see their reaction when they open it on Christmas morning

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth transaction, 29 Nov 2013
Item came exactly as described with Amazons usual efficiency.
Really enjoyed the book, kept me enthralled all the way through. I find it interesting to see how the early and later books differ slightly in their approach towards what are now considered sensitive issues with regard to political correctness etc...
I couldn't wait to start the next book in the series. I also like the way that there are subtle references to previous books within the adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant read, 4 Oct 2013
It's a Clive Cussler, what better tribute could a book have than that. The only down side is that he can't write them as fast as I can read them !

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Goods with prompt delivery, 28 July 2013
Bought as present for my husband who thorougly enjoyed this book. Must have been good he read it so quickly!

5.0 out of 5 stars good reading, 15 July 2013
S. Marshall (new pitsligo scotland) - See all my reviews
excellent read ,did not want to put the book down, will certainly want to read more by this author recommended to me by a friend

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt Adventure)
The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt Adventure) by Clive Cussler (Mass Market Paperback - April 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01