4.0 out of 5 stars A Dark, Sexy Thriller, 15 Nov. 2004
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One Dark Night (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)
Dr Nicole Adenike (Nikki) is a respected trauma surgeon, a commanding force in the operating room with a secret wish to be totally submissive in her bedroom. Drawn to a particular website which advertises dominant men, she responds to Richard's advert and begins to reveal her dark sexual secrets to him, desires she has never before expressed to anyone, including her best friend, a millionairess psychic named Kim. Over the course of the month she develops feelings for Richard, and taking courage she agrees to finally meet him in person - after his police check comes back fine of course (smart lass!).
Richard is unfortunately not ther Master in Shining Armour Nikki is looking for. Dubbed Lucifer by the police, he is a clever man who over the last nine years has brutally violated and murdered highly career minded professional women. Each crime scene is the same, with the victim seemingly willingly tied up before being tortured, sometimes for days. It is not until Nikki escapes from Lucifer with the help of Kim who foresaw the attack in a vision that Detective Thomas Cavanah finally gets a lead on the case. He has been a ruthlessly obssessed individual since Lucifer murdered his beloved Amy nearly nine years ago and wants nothing more than to see this psycho dead. As part of his investigation, Thomas has access to all the steamy emails exchanged between Nikki and Richard and finds himself in an intense state of arousal and jealousy. Having wanted Nikki for himself since meeting her, he is exactly the dominating sort of man Nikki secretly longs for. As both struggle to accept their growing feelings for each other, tensions are strained as Lucifer continues to contact Nikki and taunt Thomas with further murders.
This is another great contemporary novel by JB. It doesn't have the multiple sexual scenes described in The Possession, but the few encounters between Nikki and Thomas are sizzling - I would recommend that you don't read this book on public transport as I did!!! Although the identity of Lucifer was fairly obvious despite the several suspects written into the plot, this book was still a great read with a beautiful ending. Thomas' proposal had me in stitches and to quote the incomparable Ms Black ...... "I'm going to marry you. Thought you might want to know in case you need to buy a dress or something"...... Where can I get a Detective Cavanah???

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 19 Feb. 2008
This review is from: One Dark Night (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm not going to outline the plot, as a fellow reader of One Dark Night as already done so brilliantly.
I just need to put across my experience while reading this fantastic novel.
Having never read anything from Jaid Black before, I didn't have any expectation as to what this novel would entail. When I say I was consumed in this story...I actually mean exactly that!
I read this book from 9pm untill 2am (long time I know, but I read sloooow)...I just couldn't put the book down!
Jaid creates the story so well and I become engrossed in Nikki's tale...and as for the sexual chemistry from the word Go between Nikki and Detective Cavanah!!! The sex encouters are constructed amazingly! I'm just waitin to meet my own Thomas Cavanah!!!!
This is one of the best books I have ever read, and I will continue to read more from this author. A great balance between sex, disturbing fantasies of Lucifer and rekindling of relationships...I thoroughly recommend this book to everyone!!

Thanks

x

5.0 out of 5 stars another titillating novel by Jaid Black, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: One Dark Night (Berkley Sensation) (Mass Market Paperback)
An applause to the Author Ms Black. This book is magnificent, very clever twist and turns, suspense, thriller, and sexy all in one package. I cannot put this book down until the end. Clearly, Jaid Black has labeled herself the queen of BDSM novels. The best books I have ever read. I would definitely recommend this book!!!an excellent read.

One Dark Night (Berkley Sensation)
One Dark Night (Berkley Sensation) by Jaid Black (Mass Market Paperback - April 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01