on 3 May 2016
Having read quite few "detective romance"novels I did enjoy this one but I am getting tired of having to buy anything up to five or more stories of different murders but same detecting techniques by same people,while waiting on the main characters to finally marry. Five or more short stories add up to higher pricing than full novels rather than what amounts to quarterly stories. While we'll written I feel I know the final ending.
on 30 November 2013
First book I have read by this author. Thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that I have bought the next in the series. Surprising ending and the characters in the book are quite believable and liked the pace of this book. Description of the area at the time was good and not too long and protracted. Also like the flawed characters of Nell Sweeney and Will Hewitt, neither being too goody goody nor able to carry out the impossible. If you enjoy historical thrillers then I would recommend this book.
on 18 March 2014
The heroine, Nell, is a working-class Irish woman who's achieved the plum position of nursery-governess to the adopted child of a Gilded Age family. She's a likeable character, determined and compassionate, and I enjoyed the friendship she's formed with her mistress, whose disability due to infantile paralysis means she cannot do all the things she'd like to do. When the eldest son of the family, believed dead, shows up alive and accused of murder, Nell works as her mistress's agent in seeking to protect and exonerate him.

I wanted to like this book more than I did; I found the characters and situation interesting, and the sense of period wasn't bad. The main problem for me is how much the was told, not shown. We're told how much Nell loves the child she nurses, but we rarely see them together due to the demands of the plot. We're told about how Nell and Viola are close, but we see very little of what must be an interesting relationship through class barriers. We're told about Nell's awkward social position in the house, but we hardly see any interaction with the other servants.

The mystery was also very simplistic. All Nell does is go around questioning the same few people over and over again, and she continually draws wrong conclusions from the snippets of information available, frequently embarrassing herself. The male lead is somewhat appealing, but the romantic tension didn't feel very convincing. The final reveal of the mystery was hardly a success for Nell.

I haven't yet decided whether I'll buy further stories in the series; I did like Nell, and the Gilded Age is a good setting, but the mystery just didn't interest me much.
on 11 September 2015
I started this as a bedtime read and it became a morning finish! I couldn't put it down, good job I didn't have to get up for work that day.

I don't like historical dramas really so bought this on a whim, well am glad I did. Nell Sweeney was a good feisty heroine, as the book flowed I felt that I understood her. She was tasked with helping William who had been arrested for murder and didn't want to be helped as you will see why at the end of the book, I didn't see that ending coming at all. I am sold on this author now and want to read more of her books!
on 1 November 2013
Nell, with little formal education, but a wealth of common sense, is tasked with saving a man from the noose. Charged with murder he refuses to discuss the circumstances but is he guilty or not? I suggest you read this book to find out. The setting is late 19th century LOndon and very atmospheric.
on 6 April 2016
Great writing! I felt immersed in the plot and the historical setting. Both the upper class society and the seedy underworld were brought to life convincingly. The characters were well drawn and intriguing. I will definitely read more by these writers.
on 7 July 2013
A fair read in a romantic type of murder. The heroine, Nell, however, doesn't fall in love at first sight, but tries to untangle the evidence of an unlawful killing. The reader is left with the knowledge of a romantic understanding as the male character walks off into the wintry sun.
on 25 July 2013
Very well written and presented. The characters were likeable, the setting was well shown and suspense built in the places it should. But I felt the characters and plot were stereotypical and predictable. I will try another book by this author as I enjoyed the writing style.
on 17 June 2012
This was a light read and I enjoyed the twists and turns . It flowed along nicely and I will be getting the next one.
on 1 November 2012
It was very easy reading... I read it while travelling on holiday it was easy to pick up and put down....