5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and Real
Published on 3 Jan 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad
I have enjoyed the books content and message although I did find Tom's writing style a bit hard to follow, Im not an expert but in my oppinion it was thrown together and didnt flow, and at times repetative, I am going to read his other work though as he says he got the story's from his journal he kept when he was younger, maybe that has something to do with it.
Published on 24 Oct 2000 by stekerry

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and Real, 3 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This book is an incredible experience. The manner in which this book came to me is just as mysterious as the ways of Grandfather. I had a dream from which I remembered just 2 words - "Wolf Messenger". That same day, I met with a business associate to whom I described this dream. He happened to have been a student of Grandfather's student Tom Brown. He instantly knew who the Wolf in my dream was - Stalking Wolf AKA Grandfather. Later he handed me this book. Exactly as in my dream, Stalking Wolf had sent me his message thru a Messenger of his lineage !!
The eternal teacher that Stalking Wolf was, even as I was reading the book, his words directly helped me resolve a design methodology problem, again thru a dream !!
As a Silicon Valley software engineer I do have my share of, ugh "off-beat" views co-existing with arrogant skepticism, but this I could feel in my bones. Anyone trying to survive in the ruthless "wilderness" of todays stock market, the internet, business competetion, Y2K etc, MUST read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Hero and Exemplar, 17 April 1998
By A Customer
It's hard to call to mind a book that is as moving as this one is: the incredible account of the life and thought of Stalking Wolf, the wise and courageous native American elder who served as the medicine man for a fiercely independent Apache tribe that refused to be domiciled. This is the stuff of screenplays -- or at least of what screenplays should be. For Stalking Wolf was nothing short of a hero's hero -- a thoughful, righteous man who bemoaned the sacrileges that modern society heaped upon the land -- and upon people's minds and hearts! Here was a man who loved both the earth and all its denizens -- human, plant, and animal-- and who lived his teachings to the fullest, as a true exemplar. To have met this man would have been an honor beyond honors; to have lived as his student, as the author did as a youngster, would have been a privilege incomparable. In an age of cardboard heroes and plastic personalities, I can't think of a better role model for kids -- and even for we adults! -- than this beloved "Grandfather." Hats off to you, Tom Brown, for writing such an intensely vivid and stirring account. "Thanks for the memories..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, this book will rock your world!, 18 Jan 1997
By A Customer
I have read all of Tom's books and I beleive this is one of his very best, if not the best. Grandfather is Tom's Native American mentor, Stalking Wolf who taught Tom for over ten years about Native American Wilderness Survival and Spiritualism. This book explains who this exceptional teacher was and how he became so enlightened in his 90+ years of perfecting his Spiritual development and wilderness survival techniques.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful spiritual teachings., 23 May 2011
K. G. Evans (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after finishing 'The Tracker', also by Tom Brown. 'The Tracker' was a book that I bought to read to my 11 year old son at bedtime as he loves the outdoors, nature and animals. He lapped 'The Tracker' up so much he didn't want it to come to the end. So I bought 'Grandfather'. My son did not 'get into it' in quite the same way as 'The Tracker' as the stories in it, at times, seemed to be a little stretched in the telling, although not overly. Plus 'Grandfather' is more of a spiritual teaching, than an unfolding story so is perhaps aimed at an age group a little older. However despite these minor points, my son and I have still enjoyed it very much and it is incredibly inspiring to read of a such dedicated search for truth and harmony with the environment. In a world filled with shallow materialism I am really grateful for these books to capture my sons imagination and heart which I hope inspire him to strive for a more fulfilling life path.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and wonderful read!, 19 April 2011
Mr. Shane Ross (Devon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grandfather (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book and found it difficult to put down. As a reader of some of Tom Brown Jr's other works, this does not disappoint. Essentially it is a recount (as best as it can be from what was passed on to Tom) of some of Grandfather Stalking Wolfes life and experiences. It will get you thinking on many different levels - our relationship with Mother nature and the world we live in, where our values lay and what is possible, should we truly committ and put our mind and lives to things. Like the many different books, movies and teachings 'out there', this book won't be for everyone. At the end of the day, 'if something does or doesn't resonate with you' go with that feeling and take notice! Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, 24 Oct 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a very powerful book for me., 9 Nov 1998
By A Customer
A friend loaned me the Tracker and The Search a few months ago and I was impressed with the straight forward truths in the writing and the experiences that the author shared. I next chose Grandfather and was not disappointed. Each chapter struck me deeply and contained powerful "connection with earth and all things" truths that will be with me for a long time. I highly recommend each of these three books and I look forward to reading more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars natures way, 8 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Grandfather (Paperback)
a very mystical and thought provoking book its my first one by tom brown jr i am currently reading way of the scout i practice tracking and survival skills attempting to adopt grandfathers way excellent

Grandfather
Grandfather by Jr. Brown (Paperback - 1 Nov 2001)
8.81