5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A WONDERFUL STORY!!!
Published on 2 Dec. 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars What is a "woman child"?
Published on 20 Aug. 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A WONDERFUL STORY!!!, 2 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
This is the first book that I've read written by Lynn Kurland. I must say that I loved it. The characters were wonderful. I admired the way Christopher, the hero of this beloved story, was able to triumph over the problems caused by his blindness. I loved him because of the way he lovingly supported and protected his wife, Gillian. Gillian, I loved, because of her courage, her all around beauty, and her amazing love for her husband. The supporting characters are also just as lovable. The story is full of humor, action, and an unrelenting love. I recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read!, 19 May 1998
By A Customer
In "This Is All I Ask," Lynn Kurland has succeeded at what I feel is the most difficult type of romance to write--the kind driven by character, not by plot, where conflict is caused by personality clash that can only be resolved by personal growth and self-awareness. In this novel, the hero, the heroine, and their friends are not cardboard cut-outs but actual people taking up residence in your imagination for the space of the story. They have strengths, and they have weaknesses, and how they overcome those weaknesses, and find true strength in uniting against evil, will keep you riveted to the end. A beautfiul love story, a tense battle between good and evil, and characters worth getting to know--this book has it all. I also enjoyed the gentle humor of this book, based upon the characters' foibles and small vanities rather than on some sort of sitcom joke.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving romantic fantasy in medieval England, 28 Feb. 1998
By A Customer
Lynn Kurland's novel, This Is All I Ask, is one of those rare stories that will stay with me for years to come. It tells the poignant tale of an achingly lonely young woman and an emotionally ravaged warrior in thirteenth century England, two people whose heartbreaking lives are all the more touching because of their courage, vulnerability, and strength. It's been a long time since I've been as moved by two characters as I was by Gillian and Christopher. The setting is wild and majestic, a forbidding castle high above the sea near Scotland. The love scenes are tasteful and never resort to the purple prose that can so often ruin an otherwise good story. The touches of sweetly gentle humor further enhance the tale, another sign of Kurland's gifts as a storyteller. This is a book well worth the read, for romance and fantasy lovers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfull love story, 15 April 2000
J COFFMAN "Jackie" (Solihull, West Midlands, England.) - See all my reviews
I have read all of Lynn's books and this is in the same caliber as the rest of them. Gillian and Chris are two very lost souls who find in each other the will to live again and love for the first time. They both need what they can give to each other. A great story especially with the secondary characters in Lynn Kurlands other books. I can highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars What is a "woman child"?, 20 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I was so fascinated with the story at first that I ordered the author's another book even before I finished reading this book. However, I cannot but wonder how could this never growing "woman child" be enough for the man who had lived a life full of bitter agonies and sufferings. I understand the part that he felt himself valuable again because she was weaker than him. But, should she be that way forever? She keeps saying "I am ugly" and even tried to hide her ugliness by covering her face with hair. It's just too much! Having a heart as pure as a child is different from have a childish heart. I would love the story far more if she nurtured self-confidence and self-respect to love her husband with confidence, rather than loving him becuase he could not see her ugly face. She sounded like she hoped to have him that way and it's not a heroine I would admire. I am so sorry about the heroine's incurable childishness because other than that, the story was truly wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great author who keeps getting better, 24 Jun. 1997
In 1238 England, women have no choice as to whom they may wed as their
male guardian arranges the marriage for them. The abusive Bernard of
Warewick concocts a betrothal for his daughter Gillian with the notorious
Dragon of Blackmoor. Knowing that she has no choice, Gillian decides life
cannot be any worse than it is now, so she might as well begin anew.
Christopher of Blackmoor does not want a spouse, but he has little choice
too because political necessity forces him to wed Gillian. Christopher
fears that his new wife will learn that, though he still trains with his
troops, he is secretly blind from a recent battle.
..... Gillian arrives, expecting the same treatment from her new husband
that she used to receive from her father. Instead, he seems to avoid her.
She takes charge of the household and begins investigating the mystery of
Christopher and his strange behavior towards her . She quickly realizes
that she is dealing with a compassionate but bruised soul that she now
loves with all her heart, something she did not believe was possible. As
she continues to lay siege to his impregnable heart, she prays that she can
eventually break down the walls surrounding him.
....... After reading THIS IS ALL I ASK, fans of historical romance will
ask a lot more from the obviously talented Lynn Kurland. The writer's
novel is a brilliant Medieval piece that brings alive a bygone era through
two of its most emotionally scarred individuals. Christopher's blindness
and Gillian's emotional traumas are not told in a condescending manner.
Instead they are simply handicaps that need to be overcome if they are to
share a loving relationship. Love, emotional healing, great characters,
and a fantastic story line add up to one obvious fact; readers will devour
this thirteenth century magnum opus.

.......Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Thhe fates made me buy this book., 3 Aug. 1997
By A Customer
I went in to my local bookstore in search of some good science fiction..
Sci-Fi, Horror and fantasy is really what i read.
so how i came apon this book is a mircle in it's self.
I would never browse the Romance section. well anyhow, the book in question
"This is all i ask" happened to be in the Sci-Fi section. I thought it was a fantasy
story about dragons.. Dragons INDEED! to say that i feel in love with this
story is an understatement. i found my self crying my eyes out at gillians plight.
i also found my self wishing i was her.
I think i was ment to buy this book, it was strange that it would be in the wrong section
and even stranger that i was feeling a bit down at the time. i truely needed to read
a love story like this...
so far, i've read the book 5 times in a record 2 weeks, i think i must be in heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and moving medieval romance, 30 Dec. 1997
By A Customer
When her abusive father sells her off to a man she's heard has horns and practices the Dark Arts, our heroine is understandably scared out of her wits but is also a bit relieved to escape her sire's tortures. Instead of finding the Devil, she finds a wounded, proud and wonderful man, a man who needs her love to become whole again - her soulmate. Set in medieval times, THIS IS ALL I ASK is a beautiful and emotionally rewarding love story for those who enjoy a believable tale about the magical healing powers of love. Kurland infuses her writing with a tender and often times humorous touch. Though the story lacks an explicit love scene (my only complaint!) it packs a powerful emotional punch and should not be missed for fans of well written medieval tales. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I read this year, 12 Sept. 2011
This is a lovely romantic story where the sex is left behind the bedroom door rather than in your face.

It is a beautifully crafted story about a girl who is treated badly by her father but is forced into marrying a man with a fearsome reputation. She goes to his castle with the intention of keeping out of his way so he'll not send her back to her father. The hero is also reluctant to marry the girl but does it because of a previous commitment to do so. He is so concerned about her discovering his secret he tries to avoid her too. The story is about the circles they dance around one another and the fears and secrets they hold.

I liked it so much I would read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best romance novel written!, 19 May 1998
By A Customer
If you like romance novel, you are going to love this book! I am not a person who cries easily, but I can not stop my tears from falling everytime I open this book. I did not even cry when I watched the Tatanic. That will tell you how well written this book is. The setting took place in a castle of Scotland. It is a tale about how two lovers overcame many obstacles to be with each other. Their love for each other were so strong that they were inseparable. When reading it, I can feel their pain and my heart just ached. I love this book and I will rate this eleven or above if I am allowed to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

This Is All I Ask
This Is All I Ask by Lynn Kurland (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 2000)