5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A WONDERFUL STORY!!!
Published on 2 Dec 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars What is a "woman child"?
Published on 20 Aug 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A WONDERFUL STORY!!!, 2 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This is the first book that I've read written by Lynn Kurland. I must say that I loved it. The characters were wonderful. I admired the way Christopher, the hero of this beloved story, was able to triumph over the problems caused by his blindness. I loved him because of the way he lovingly supported and protected his wife, Gillian. Gillian, I loved, because of her courage, her all around beauty, and her amazing love for her husband. The supporting characters are also just as lovable. The story is full of humor, action, and an unrelenting love. I recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read!, 19 May 1998
By A Customer
In "This Is All I Ask," Lynn Kurland has succeeded at what I feel is the most difficult type of romance to write--the kind driven by character, not by plot, where conflict is caused by personality clash that can only be resolved by personal growth and self-awareness. In this novel, the hero, the heroine, and their friends are not cardboard cut-outs but actual people taking up residence in your imagination for the space of the story. They have strengths, and they have weaknesses, and how they overcome those weaknesses, and find true strength in uniting against evil, will keep you riveted to the end. A beautfiul love story, a tense battle between good and evil, and characters worth getting to know--this book has it all. I also enjoyed the gentle humor of this book, based upon the characters' foibles and small vanities rather than on some sort of sitcom joke.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving romantic fantasy in medieval England, 28 Feb 1998
By A Customer
Lynn Kurland's novel, This Is All I Ask, is one of those rare stories that will stay with me for years to come. It tells the poignant tale of an achingly lonely young woman and an emotionally ravaged warrior in thirteenth century England, two people whose heartbreaking lives are all the more touching because of their courage, vulnerability, and strength. It's been a long time since I've been as moved by two characters as I was by Gillian and Christopher. The setting is wild and majestic, a forbidding castle high above the sea near Scotland. The love scenes are tasteful and never resort to the purple prose that can so often ruin an otherwise good story. The touches of sweetly gentle humor further enhance the tale, another sign of Kurland's gifts as a storyteller. This is a book well worth the read, for romance and fantasy lovers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfull love story, 15 April 2000
J COFFMAN "Jackie" (Solihull, West Midlands, England.) - See all my reviews
I have read all of Lynn's books and this is in the same caliber as the rest of them. Gillian and Chris are two very lost souls who find in each other the will to live again and love for the first time. They both need what they can give to each other. A great story especially with the secondary characters in Lynn Kurlands other books. I can highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars What is a "woman child"?, 20 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I was so fascinated with the story at first that I ordered the author's another book even before I finished reading this book. However, I cannot but wonder how could this never growing "woman child" be enough for the man who had lived a life full of bitter agonies and sufferings. I understand the part that he felt himself valuable again because she was weaker than him. But, should she be that way forever? She keeps saying "I am ugly" and even tried to hide her ugliness by covering her face with hair. It's just too much! Having a heart as pure as a child is different from have a childish heart. I would love the story far more if she nurtured self-confidence and self-respect to love her husband with confidence, rather than loving him becuase he could not see her ugly face. She sounded like she hoped to have him that way and it's not a heroine I would admire. I am so sorry about the heroine's incurable childishness because other than that, the story was truly wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 26 July 2013
This review is from: This Is All I Ask (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read several romance books, and although I read this one many years ago, it's still my favorite. I very much recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I read this year, 12 Sep 2011
This is a lovely romantic story where the sex is left behind the bedroom door rather than in your face.

It is a beautifully crafted story about a girl who is treated badly by her father but is forced into marrying a man with a fearsome reputation. She goes to his castle with the intention of keeping out of his way so he'll not send her back to her father. The hero is also reluctant to marry the girl but does it because of a previous commitment to do so. He is so concerned about her discovering his secret he tries to avoid her too. The story is about the circles they dance around one another and the fears and secrets they hold.

I liked it so much I would read it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the sweetest stories I've ever read...., 20 July 1999
By A Customer
I've read three of Lynn Kurland's books by now, and I much prefer "This is All I Ask" to any of her time travel stories. It is a heart-warming tale of a vulnerable woman and a man who has been to hell and back who find completion in one another. Would recommend to anyone who loves romance--medieval jargon isn't difficult at all. Not too spicy either, which is good or bad, depending on what you like! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the sweetest stories I've ever read...., 20 July 1999
By A Customer
I've read three of Lynn Kurland's books by now, and I much prefer "This is All I Ask" to any of her time travel stories. It is a heart-warming tale of a vulnerable woman and a man who has been to hell and back who find completion in each other. Would recommend to anyone who loves romance--medieval jargon isn't difficult at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story of acceptance & healing, 14 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This is one of my most treasured books that I have reread at least 3 times already. Gillian and Christopher remind me in a way of the timeless classic Beauty & the Beast. They both don't realize their own value to each other until it has almost torn them apart. When I read this I cried, I laughed, but most of all, this book brought me hope. Thank you Lynn for another wonderful book!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

This Is All I Ask
This Is All I Ask by Lynn Kurland (Mass Market Paperback - Oct 2000)
4.49