on 13 April 2000
Number 4 of Lyn Hamilton's serie. Lara Mc Clyntoch, owner of an antiquities shop in Toronto, flyes to southwest Ireland with his friend Alex, who should attend a testament reading. The relatives of the deceased Eamon Byrne are not what should be a happy family but everybody got surprised when Alex received Rose Cottage. Hoping to see his family again in good relationship, Eamon Byrne organizes a great treasure hunt in his last will. But it doesn't start the way he hoped and soon a murder is discovered....
Superb plot with a great mix with legends and myths of Ireland, you will never find out who is the murder. Enjoy reading the best of Lyn Hamilton's work, after THE XIBALBA MURDER which was just brilliant, THE MOCHE WARRIOR and THE MALTESE GODDESS which where "only" nice.
on 11 October 2011
I have to admit I opted for this book as anything remotely Celtic and mystical fascinates me and I was not disappointed. Not only is it a superbly crafted murder mystery, which I love, it is set in the beautiful surroundings of County Kerry. This novel has everything for anyone who loves a good murder! A country mansion, revolting relatives and a complex will forcing the squabbling family to come together if they want to find the ancient treasure. With a complex trail of clues based on the ancient Ogham, Irelands first known written language, and a good smattering of bodies along the way I can honestly highly recommend this book.PS...There is a film of the book staring Angela Lansbury which occasionally pops up on ITV3 and it is worth watching for the haunting Irish folk music score alone..enjoy!
on 3 August 2013
interesting book and idea, but a little iffy in places, might try that author from library but won't buy another sorry
on 20 July 2013
Thought I would love this but, for me, a bit rambling. Seems like there was lot of padding out of story.