5.0 out of 5 stars Gothic Masterpiece
Published on 11 Jan 2011 by Proscarabaeus

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmmmm
Published on 4 Dec 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Gothic Masterpiece, 11 Jan 2011
Quite apart from its subject, this is a very beautiful book and a joy to handle; Arcturus must be congratulated for offering this fine edition. It is somewhat larger than quarto, very well bound and printed in very clear type on a fine quality slightly ivory tinted paper. The engravings are very crisp and printed at full page size. Anyone coming to Gustave Dore's illustrations for the first time will be justifiably astonished. His breath-taking draughtsmanship and breadth of imagination perfectly complement Coleridges dark brooding gothic theme. I bought two copies - one for a Christmas present and one for myself. I intend to acquire also the edition of Paradise Lost which also has illustrations by Dore

5.0 out of 5 stars Walk in fear and dread..., 30 Sep 2010
My son gave me a Kindle for my birthday and this was one of the first pieces I downloaded. Having read Coleridge`s tale of ancient torment revisited by the Mariner many years ago as part of an English Lit. course, it was wonderful to find it again, and to share the Tale, in all its dread and terror, here. If you have never read this, but are a fan of tales of mystery and wonder, this will certainly chill your blood!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great horror poem, badly formatted!, 27 Jan 2011
I love Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and have done ever since I read it at school. It's one of THE great horror poems, and though the language is antiquated, it isn't all flowery language for the joy of flowery language, but is a great, creepy story from 1798, written in the sort of rhythmic line that sounds like the waves on the sea and tells the story of the Mariner, cursed for shooting the Albatross that saved the ship, and damned to stay alive after his crew all die and, as living corpses (almost zombies) they sail the ship on which the Mariner is the only living being....

Most people read it at school, and if you haven't I can almost guarantee you'll recognise bits of it ("Water, water everywhere / Nor any drop to drink" ). If you can get past the language, the story is fantastic - and furthermore, if you're partial to a bit of Douglas Adams, read this and then read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency". Cool, huh? And it's free too....

What's the downside? The downside is the formatting. As it says in the publisher's blurb, the text is converted to Kindle-form by volunteers and I suspect no-one's told them about the technicalities of Kindle. This version has the lines all running on from each other, which for a poem is not ideal - but then it does make it more book-like to look at, which is an interesting twist. Normally I'd object loudly about this but if you're not one for poetry, have a look at the sample and see - you may find it easier to get on with as it is.

And as always with poetry, it's good to read but it really comes alive when you read it aloud. You'll feel like a fool, but go hide in your room - read it with feeling and relish the words and you'll get it in full colour, I promise....

So should you get this? It's free, the text is there, and the power is in the words, not the lay-out. I wish Public Domain would sort out their formatting but as is, it's quite an interesting way to look at a real classic in a new light. Why would you not?
JAC

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmmmm, 4 Dec 2010
I am thirteen and am studying this poem in class I decided to look at the poem by myself (as the class was proved insufficient) and wanted to find a free one.I was lucky enough to find one I checked it out and looked over the poem the poem it is a very good one and I would rate it four stars my only problem was the format as it was laid out like a book and the only thing that determined one stanza from another was a space or speech marks.That is my only critisism the parts were marked clearly and everythinbg else was fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars kindle version not recommended, 30 Jun 2011
I downloaded the kindle version of this and the formatting was awful even for a free book. If you are looking for this poem for your kindle, go to the Project Gutenberg site - it's a much better-formatted version.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read classic, 11 Jun 2012
Simon Bendle (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
Weird and eerie and unforgettable. Great illustrations too. Pass me the opium pipe, I want to write narrative poetry like this, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classic, 28 Dec 2010
The Rime of the ancient mariner is a great classic of english poetry. This edition is very well done, fine paper, slightly yellow (old look). The printings of Gustave Doré are simply fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shades of my youth, 7 Nov 2010
I was excited to get this as a free book. It has great sentimental value to me as my father used to recite it to me when I was a little girl. So at least, in this time of huge controversy about the pricing of e-books, here is a little gem - for free!

5.0 out of 5 stars epic poem, great pictures, 21 Jun 2013
Wow! A brilliant poem that has entered the language in many ways with some stunning illustrations. Deluxe edition for kindle. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 17 April 2012
like one that on a lonesome road doth walk in fear and dread and having once looked back walks on and turns no more his head because he knows a fearful fiend doth close behind him tread. What a wonderful description of what everybody must have felt when walking alone late at night

ARRAY(0xaa3b445c)

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Dean Motter (Paperback - April 1991)
Used & New from: 9.19