5.0 out of 5 stars Tintin - a non-expert view., 3 May 2002
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin Volume 5: Land of Black Gold / Destination Moon / Explorers on the Moon (Hardcover)
Although now in my late twenties, I am still fascinated by Tintin, his friends and his adventures. I do not claim to be a Tintinologist. As a child I used to read the full size editions, however, I prefer this smaller format, as it is compact and there is no loss of detail in the text or illustration. It is also more robust in hardback: how quickly did the paperback get dog-eared when read by an excited child?
Interestingly, there is no contents page. You must therefore "thumb" to find the story you require. I know that is a rather pedantic issue, but there is completeness to consider. This compilation is my favourite of the series, as it contains both "Destination Moon" and "Explorers on the Moon".
"Destination" begins with a plot which kept me in suspense about the nature of the mission for 8 pages! From then onward, I was intrigued by the technology Herge uses in the story.
The illustrations in "Explorers" are amazing. Herge has combined true representations of the moon with his imagination for what was, at the time, a place not fully understood.
"Land of Black Gold", relies slightly on "Cigars of the Pharaoh" and "The Black Island", for references to characters/events. This does slightly spoil continuity to someone unfamiliar to Tintin.

4.0 out of 5 stars The most exciting collection of all, 24 April 2010
R. Paterson (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this collection of Tintin books for some years and it's the best way to get hold of what is not doubt Tintin's most extraordinary adventure.
"Land of Black Gold" is the first of the books and a separate adventure to the other two. That is a good enough book by itself, although the laughs rather take over the more exciting parts of the story. Thomson and Thompson ultimately steal the show, from bungling some undercover work as mechanics, through knocking down the wall of a mosque, to getting a rather strange hairstyle from swallowing some unusual tablets.
This story is entirely overshadowed by the other two books though; the pairing of "Destination Moon" and "Explorers on the Moon". Tintin, Snowy and Captain Haddock travel to every corner of the globe in the books, but now an adventure that blows exploring the earth out of the water.
THEY FLY INTO SPACE.
The book contains some excellent real science, such as the physics of weightlessness, escape velocities, the possibility of water on the moon and the as-yet unrealised technology of nuclear rocket motors. This of course weaves into the usual blend of mirth and excitement. Be prepared to laugh at the Captain's test of a spacesuit, Professor Calculus blowing a fuse and some anti-gravity antics on board the rocket. Be prepared to be thrilled by an attempted sabotage of the mission and a race to return to Earth before the rocket's oxygen supplies are depleted.
It's the gang's most daring and breath-taking adventure of all. Well done, M. Remi.

5.0 out of 5 stars really high quality book, 7 Nov 2009
This book is really good quality - well made. I was impressed when I opened the packaging. The only problem I would say - is that the print is very small and quite hard to read. Not recommened for people with bad vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tin-tastic!, 15 Nov 2009
Garfield J. Quinn (UK) - See all my reviews
What can I say, just love the Tin Tin books. Really like these volumes. Die hard fans would probably prefer to have each book individually but I don't mind. Would def recommend!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More stories, smaller pictures, 15 July 2009
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Bought for a gift. It's a simple payoff - smaller pictures, but more stories. The more compact size might make it better for carrying around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tintin Volume 5, 19 Feb 2010
M. Carcas (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I have always loved reading the Adventures of Tintin! Now I have bought the whole series for my sons and cannot wait for them to fall in love with the stories, too! Great collection and well worth buying if you love an intelligent comic with great adventures that will stimulate the imagination and excite children of all ages!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 11 Jan 2013
Bought for my grandson to help encourage his reading. Great when I can read these with him. The stories are still fresh

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great stories, 13 Nov 2012
M. Sharp - See all my reviews
I love tintin, and I wanted to own all of the books, so that I could be sure whichever one I wanted to read would be at my fingertips. This collection (along with all the other collections; I bought all of them) was great value and takes up very little space on my bookshelf. A great way to have all the Herge stories in a nice neat package!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Present, 3 Jan 2012
Another present for my son and I know for a fact that he enjoyed the book. My son is in his late forties but it reminded him of his childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, 5 Aug 2011
Bought this as a gift, it's brilliant value and looks lke a book should! It's traditional but still enjoyed by 10 year old boys as it always has been, would recommend.