5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive guide for all philosophy beginners., 16 Dec 1999
Mr (Newnham on Severn, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philosophy: The Basics (Paperback)
I am a 1st year theology student who always considered philosophy too high brow to even comtemplate reading.
Warburton's books helped me overcome my concerns. He demythologises philosophy and gives beginners like me an opportunity to get to grips with concepts of philosophy.
Warburton helped me to a greater understanding in many areas. The first was the ontological argument. I read Anselm's Proslogion alongside Warburton's explanation and things became clear.
Do not expect to be given answers, the one thing about philosophy is that you have to think for yourself. The seeds that Warburton gives facilitate independant thought. The philosophical questions that last sentence generates is a point in fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for anyone!, 22 Nov 2001
By A Customer
I have just embarked on a two year philosophy A-Level course and i am using Warburton's book as a stepping stone to discoving many aspects of philosophy. The clarity and use of language makes this book easy for anyone to understand, not just academics. It allows easy access to the world of philosophy unlike so many other books on this topic. Well done Nigel!

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BOOK FOR REVISION, 10 Sep 2002
I have just completed an ethics and philosophy A Level for which I used this book. The book itself is clear and concise, making it excellent revision material. It covers all of the standard need to know topics and does so in an intelligent, factual manner! Definitly use this for A Level standards although I would not reccomend using it as a basis for research as it simply isn't detailed enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent summary, ideal for beginner, 23 Sep 2001
Context: I always wanted to do a philosophy degree, but other subjects always seemed more practical. So at the age of 32, after a BA, MB, BChir, and MRCS, I started reading with the help of Warburton's book and a couple of philosophy PhD students at Cambridge.
The book: Short, crisp, lays out philosophical positions well. A wonderful starting and jumping-off point and organiser when you don't have the structure of an academic course to follow. I would recommend it to people with similar requirements to me. However, remember that philosophy needs to be discussed, not merely read. My first mistake was to treat philosophy as a body of knowledge to be acquired, much as science and medicine was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Excellent!, 19 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Like many others I always considered philosophy a topic for the high intellects of the world. After reading this book I have come to realise that philosophy is a topic which most of us deal with every day without ever knowing it, and more than that ... it is something that EVERYONE can do! Nigel has written a clear and easy to understand blow by blow account of the very basics of the subject while managing to aviod the patronising tone that one often associates with many other books of this kind. A must for anyone coming to philosophy for the first time

5.0 out of 5 stars Warburton knows his stuff!, 10 July 2001
By A Customer
I went to school with Nigel, and remember sitting with him in a physics 'O' level class . The physics master began to refer to Newton's second law, when Warburton began to question certain underlying assumptions which Newton had made -much to the master's dismay and the class's mirth! Nigel hasn't looked back, and his book will continue to be of great value to me as I continue in my own theological studies. Thank you, Nigel.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know., 25 Sep 2000
By A Customer
I have just completed a philosophy degree, I've read alot of philosophy books, and I can confirm that what Nigel Warburton doesn't know about philosophy isn't worth knowing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and easy to follow book that always makes you think., 6 July 2000
By A Customer
A great read and a brillient introduction to philosophy. Nigel Warburton explains each subject clearly and the book makes you think about the world arund you and what you thought you knew. It's also very addictive, I've already bought two more of Nigel Warburton's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars the basics - definitely covered, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Philosophy: The Basics (Paperback)
I would really recommend this book for anyone starting out in philosophy or just wanting to find out more about it. It covers major themes in a concise and fairly objective view, but most importantly reads very well, allowing many points of reflection, and guidance for further research in each area covered. It is only titled 'the basics' so clearly it is not a definitive guide to philosophy in general, but for me at least, an excellent place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and informative, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Philosophy: The Basics (Paperback)
A good book as an introduction to philosophy. Clearly written and you get the feeling you're in safe hands with the author providing information in an accessible and objective way.

Recommended to me as a student new to philosophy and I've found it very helpful, not too lightweight but not too dense as to make me wonder if I've made the right choice.

Philosophy: The Basics
Philosophy: The Basics by Nigel Warburton (Paperback - 31 Oct 2012)
10.00