4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good book, however I didnt find it to be so useful, 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Transforming Museums in the Twenty-first Century (Paperback)
I think the author had a great work about the challenges and changes in the 21st century. The first part of the book, which discuss the surveys are really good. However the second part, though gives good ideas for museums, I still didn't feel it to be so useful. The book includes plenty of examples and study cases but non of it is outside of the English speaking world. British, American, Australian examples are very good, but seeing the different museum environment and context(I rather mean the financing)the mentioned cases seem to be just dreams for the museums in rest of Europe. I understood that not the adaption of a given idea was the goal of the author, but rather help with ideas that any museum professionals can interpret for its own museums'profile. I also found too much similarities with the previous book of the same author (the engaging museum), even the used charts and boxes are exactly the same. I found unnecessary to buy both books.
None the less, its a professionally written good book in a field of museology, I was amazed by the number of literature that was referred in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very thought provoking, 30 Jan. 2013
I found this book helped the theory behind my job (working in heritage) and consequently rather than just finding an idea I like, I can now say 'actually this would work better'. My understanding of the visitors has improved greatly as a result of reading this. The text is sometimes hard work to read, but stick with it, it's gold dust! Nothing else on the market that I know of to compare with Black's text.

Transforming Museums in the Twenty-first Century
Transforming Museums in the Twenty-first Century by Graham Black (Paperback - 13 Dec. 2011)