Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2004
This is obviously the reference work on the phenomenon of moral panics and as such essential reading for anyone who wishes to understand the topic. As a work of social science it can be hard going at times and is probably not for the casual reader, however those with a reasonable understanding of the subject area will find it a generally very readable work.
The new introduction for the third edition is also an excellent review of some of the moral panics of the last few years.
on 6 May 2012
This book is a must for anyone studying criminology, sociology, psychology... or who just has an interest in human nature and how we are influenced by outside pressures. This 30th anniversary edition has been updated to reflect more recent events such as the killing of James Bulger (the original was written about the Mods and Rockers phenomenon). Whether you read it as a textbook, or simply out of an interest in social history, this is unmissable. Unlike many sociologists, Stan Cohen uses accessible language - always a bonus when reading for coursework!! :D
on 4 November 2010
This book is fantastic as a sociological and criminological resource and i recommend it heartily to anyone studying these disciplines.
The writing is not a awfully dense as many other sociology texts and provides an interesting and enjoyable read.
His observations are succinct and extremely insightful. A master of modern criminology indeed.
on 1 October 2010
I got this to proviude background info for TMA04 for OU course DD131 (DD101). Imnmensly readable and sensible - yes I know the summary info is all in the main text book, but the source puts the case clearly. Also if you get the 1980 Second Edition, then Cohen's new introduction helps point towards how you can mix and match with other models (e.g. Policing the Crisis). However the TMA hasn't been marked so I can't say whether it worked.

As a sociology book it is VERY easy reading (couple of hours before going to bed).

Neil
on 22 December 2015
An excellent read, really thought provoking and a good insight into a easy to understand and interesting piece of sociological research. Raises lots of questions about the role of the media, police and those in power. Can be easily applied to today;s society. I am an A'Level Sociology teacher and have put this on my students reading list.
on 12 July 2011
Amazing; shows how nothing has really changed since first publication. The issues are still there just new and bigger labeling issues.
on 22 May 2013
I'm a Criminology student, and wow has this book come in handy. Not only has it helped me with plenty of essays, but (I never thought I'd say this) it is an enjoyable read too. Love Cohen!
on 16 February 2013
Got an assignment coming up on moral panics caused by the media. This book will no doubt provide considerable help in my research and was great value for money.
on 11 November 2015
ESSENTIAL READING IN RELATION TO MORAL PANICS.
on 22 February 2013
This is a requisite book for my social work degree course but it is really interesting ... to the point that I carry it around to read a bit more whenever I am walking, sitting for a few minutes or generally able to. It links historical 'moral panics' (Mods & Rockers) but Cohen brings it right up to date referring to more recent events, such as the Jamie Bulger case. There are sections that I have to read a couple of times to get my head around it, but basically it is clear and understandable.