5.0 out of 5 stars The best available introduction to the language, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Colloquial Persian (Colloquial Series) (Paperback)
I have already studied for a year with the first edition of this book and found it really accessable and comprehensive. The updated versian has several more chapters, more information on the grammar and now has translations of all the dialogues. The audio CD is greatly enlarged too. I have looked at most of the Persian language books and courses available, and this one is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very user-friendly, structured well., 1 Feb 2011
A. Smith "Mr Smith" (Moscow) - See all my reviews
I've only completed the first 5 units, so perhaps it's a bit early to write a complete review of this textbook, but as there are no other reviews I thought I'd try and give some sort of consumerist opinion.

Firstly, it's surprising how simple and straightforward Persian is; grammatically, it's far, far easier to deal with than Arabic (I've been studying Modern Standard Arabic full-time for almost 2 years now) or Russian (I got a top grade at Russian A-level).

Before the actual units begin, there is a section dedicated to learning the Perso-Arabic script, which looks like it would work effectively for the student, although I didn't pay much attention to it as I'm already familiar with the Arabic alphabet (the Perso-Arabic script is identical to the Arabic one, except there are 4 additional letters in Persian).

Each unit is short. There are two very accessible dialogues in each unit, and an additional comprehension exercise, with corresponding exhaustive vocabulary lists. If you buy the CDs (which I highly recommend), these 3 main bodies of text are accompanied with the recordings. The recordings are clear, and there are additional exercises to help consolidate your speaking and listening skills.

Grammar is introduced incrementally, and is presented in a lucid, logical way, with exercises to secure grammatical understanding and fluidity.

So far so good. The course contains a vocabulary of around 2000 words, so by the end of it, I imagine one will have a sturdy grounding in Persian. I'll update my review as I progress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to Persian, 9 May 2012
A. Anderson - See all my reviews
As a native English speaker learning Persian for the last three years, I can say this is by far the best guide to learning Persian. I have been able to complete almost half the book using the audio CD, and I am extremely please for the value and quality of the context.

A few distinctions I like about this book which are not included in others include: a blend of colloquial with literary Persian; a great progression of content from basic to intermediate; all content is something used in our daily lives and conversations; and finally this book covers a lot of material.

Overall, I could not recommend this book more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colloquial Persian: CD ONLY, 22 April 2013
**Slightly confusingly, the CD and the book are sold separately, so please not that this is the CD only!**

In tandem with the book, this is the perfect starter-for-10 with regards to colloquial Persian. It explains the basic grammar, as well as descriptions of the differences between formal and colloquial persian, and when both are used together, this is the 5* package deal.
HOWEVER.
The CD is not intended as a standalone audio guide, and out of context the soundtracks are fairly useless. As you have to use the book at the same time, it is only useful as a companian at home, this is NOT an "on-the-go" learning tool. Which is unfortunate, as i travel on the tube in London where there is scarcely enough room to breath during rush hour, let alone read a book!

I would recommend this to At Home learners, where the book can be used as a guide. It is clear, the accents are good, it is easy to understand and the audio is of high enough quality to distinguish the foreign sounds from each other. I would equally recommend thinking about how you would use this tool, as I don't believe it is ideal for the learner-on-the-go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to Farsi, 7 Nov 2013
This is a very clear and comprehensive introduction to Farsi. The teaching method and sections have been thought through in a very logical manner, with useful tips and pertinent explanations throughout. Overall a great, steady support for whoever wants to learn this beautiful language. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but need to be improved, 16 Jun 2013
Maybe the language audio tapes/lessons can be constructed in a certain way so that they can be used independently from the book. The audio is good - much better than other ones but can be improved since I use audio everyday but not necessarily the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars quite good, 6 Feb 2012
The book is quite comprehensive and covers well the spoken Persian as well. The only characteristic which I did not like very much is that the chapters are very long, so it is impossible to study one chapter at once and you can not plan you studies based on the book chapters.

Colloquial Persian (Colloquial Series)
Colloquial Persian (Colloquial Series) by Abdi Rafiee (Paperback - 26 Nov 2010)
38.42