Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 January 2001
A new edition of an excellent book that examines the relationship between sport and society. Taking examples from modern sport to aid understanding. The book looks at sociological theory and its role with sport, to explain why sport is the way it is. Also the book covers topics such as politics in sport, drugs in sport, giving explanations why they are used and why sport is targeted and used as a political tool. This book looks beyond sport as a 'game' but rather as a cultural institution that embodies society`s values and prejudices. An excellent book for anyone studying The Sociology of Sport, and a fascinating read for anyone involved in sport.
on 1 February 2013
Just looked up what he said about Marsh et al's rules of disorder. Paints them as being in the shadow of Desmond (monkey man) Morris which is about as far from my reading as you get. I hated Morris's account but could see my experience of football violence in the account. The dismissal of this as ivory tower research after the hours they spent at the games is a travesty - a sign of an arrogant man looking for the one line put down. Marsh and co-authors did what no one had done prior to their study in that they picked out the range of behaviours and types of participants... in it I could see our 'nutter' the person that liked to fire the bullet (start the aggro) but who melted into the background when it kicked off), the ritualization of the aggression. It was all there. The generals and troop... yeah, it could fall apart, but we all (firms) had people we could look to for organisation - those who would me leading the line. What does Cashmore know about that? A classic is the time Man U took the Kop (GE) at Leeds. The pincer movement organised by the Shipley lads was classic.

The fact is when you read Marsh et al it has far more in common with the Collins (2008) theory of violence than most other accounts.
on 24 October 2012
I had brought the book but before I opened it, I was reading CNN where this idiot author promotes doping in sports. So, your college school kids might be better at football but they might be brain dead before they are 25, or be born with ill-effected Children, your Grand Children. I will be sending the book in the trash from this dope of an author....
on 4 February 2013
I am sorry I cannot comment on this product as it was bought for my daughters university course. It obviously must be alright as she hasn't complained.