5.0 out of 5 stars The best Stanislavski resource avaliable!, 18 April 2009
Mr. K. Green "kgreen366" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Jean Benedetti has spent decades writing on Stanislavski's work and has always produced concise analysis that sparks interest and makes the awkward translations of Elizabeth Hapgood bearable. But now, he's gone a step further and done his own translation which just brings the work to life! He presents the complex ideas in the manner Stanislavski intended, whilst always retaining his own style of translation. The 2 books were always intended by Stanislavski to be a diary, a practical guide that rejected abstract and insubstanital theory for actors, and Benedetti is not only the first translator to retain the origional message of the work, but also the finest in presenting it with previously un-translated notes from Stanislavski.
As you can tell, I would definatly recommend it for any drama student!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly useful, 22 Mar 2008
I started reading Stanislavski when I was 14, and I remember then that it was incredibly tedious trawling through the decrepit translation of 1937 or thereabouts. Still I managed it, and I felt myself a serious actor for doing so, but I couldn't bear to attempt it again!

A few months ago, I had a workshop with Bella Merlin (one of England's leading authorities on Stanislavski), and within the workshop we explored the principles of Stanislavski once more, but this time using quotes from this book. The difference was incredible! No longer the shaky and slightly high-minded language of the original translation; instead an instantly accessible translation that was much easier to understand as well as far more interesting.

The book contains both "An Actor Prepares" and "Building a Character" in the same volume, which is how it was originally meant to be (however Stanislavski died before this was brought to fruition). As a result, the psychophysical work is integrated with the physical leading to greater clarification and unification of his original methodologies and ideas.

Included at the back are a list of exercises explored in the book, as well as extra material from Stan's original notes.

This book will become the standard text on Stanislavski, and it well deserves it too! Clear, comprehensive, humorous in places: this is the book Stanislavski wanted us to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for any actor, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: An Actor's Work: A Student's Diary (Paperback)
This book is an easy read, unlike other Stanislavski editions. As an actor I think it is important to learn/cover all aspects of acting and choose which techniques work for you, this book is one that you should cover, even if you prefer not be a method actor. It opens up your mind and psyche which I think is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 24 Aug 2013
J. Mayhew (harrow) - See all my reviews
i had to get this for university but over all a very good buy and lots of information i needed

4.0 out of 5 stars deceiving information, 17 Nov 2010
This review is from: An Actor's Work: A Student's Diary (Paperback)
I'm really happy about the condition of the book and the payment method, but I think it's a little deceiving to have a shop mentioning the uk if your warehouse is in the United States. I thought my book was going to arrive much sooner because of that! Apart from that, everything great

An Actor's Work: A Student's Diary
An Actor's Work: A Student's Diary by Konstantin Stanislavski (Paperback - 21 Sep 2009)