5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a keen DIY'er who'd
I am a very competent Diy'er who is in the process of putting a new kitchen in and I wanted to add some sockets, move the cooker cable and redo all the lighting etc.

Published 23 months ago by R Warne

I'm a DIYer and have worked to IEEE 16th Edition regs in the past using the Onsite Guide. I'm about to embark on a house rewire with Part P building-regs notification so I need to ensure my work is spot on for sign-off. Rather than get the 17th regs, I thought it'd be nice to catch-up with version 17 with a bit of narrative to describe the more complicated sections...
Published 16 months ago by Fuzzyfelt

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a keen DIY'er who'd, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Paperback)

Whilst I always intended getting a qualified Electrician in to check my work, I wanted to do of much of it as I can, what's the point of paying someone else to channel out walls and run cables etc.

This book is perfect and I'm delighted with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars A truly terrible book on so many levels. I could've done better, 30 Dec. 2013

This book was so bad that I requested a refund. The main points are:

* Typos, missing diagrams and formatting issues (could be Kindle version related)
* Unexplained symbols and poor diagrams
* Varying level of detail and assumed knowledge. Some sections are really basic while some are unnecessarily complicated. One section starts by describing what a Test Lamp is not but not what it is.
* Unexplained points: "Where fluorescent or other discharge lighting is involved, a factor of 1.8 is used to take into consideration the associated control gear" but has no explanation where 1.8 comes from.
* Absolutely wacky descriptions: Re: Insulation Resistance: "Insulation resistance, as discussed, is the resistance measured between conductors and is made up of countless millions of resistances in parallel"
* References to IET regs tables that haven't been replicated in the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro for DIY enthusiasts!, 11 Aug. 2012
David Nash (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Paperback)
Purchased this to bring myself up to date with current wiring regulations without having to wade through mountains of irrelevant detail. Brian Scannlon does an excellent job of sorting out the wood from the trees, well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book 5Star, 21 Dec. 2014
Mr. D. Whelan (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Paperback)
This is excellently written book with clear explanations and excellent illustrations. Being a 2012 edition it is not up to date regarding the scope of Part P work which was changed in 2013. Small error on page 102 referring to a resistance of 1 miliohm when it should be 1 megohm. Well worth the price. Would have no hesitation in buying other books by the same author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential guide, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Paperback)
Granted, a lot of this book is common-sense advice but it is vital advice. I find this book to be an essential reference for any electrical work I undertake.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Paperback)
Not enough technical detail, too much time spent on basics, go for the onsite guide, more expensive but worth it

4.0 out of 5 stars very clear, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Paperback)
A good book plenty of information I would have liked it to be a bit more readable I dont like all the abbreviation they use all the time

4.0 out of 5 stars domestic wiring, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Paperback)
bought this for a friend who was about to rewire his house ,very pleased with it and he has got a lot of knowledge from it

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine refesher, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Paperback)
Electrics made simple, not entirely sure if that's a good idea but the more you understand the safer you should be.
Not a subject for DIY, needs to be backed up with formal training.
I bought it as a quick catch up and as a guide to help get my adult son interested in the trade.
Just flicked through it, not really studied it yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used the book for a house re-wrire, 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers (Paperback)
I bought this to make sure I had all of the details for a house re-wire correct. It covers everything that I needed. It covers cable types, cable runs, consumer unit, earthing etc. and is fairly easy to read and follow. Occasionally I used the book to give me most of the information I required and a guide to google the rest.

Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers
Electric Wiring for Domestic Installers by Brian Scaddan (Paperback - 26 Mar. 2012)