Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 February 2012
Writing as a practitioner involved in both Landscape Planning and Public Health this book comes highly recommended. It is a practical and useful toolkit, bridging the gap between Spatial Planning and Public Health, and providing a vehicle for moving Policy towards Action. For Planners, it encourages a reinterpretation of Sustainable Development (SD), expanding the normal "environmental" interpretation of SD to embrace aspects of the "Social" dimension; health. For Health Professionals it provides an understanding of the urban environment from a planning perspective, the context for health promotion initiatives. By so doing it expands the planning horizon, challenging conventional approaches and identifying opportunities for progress. Importantly it also encourages cooperative involvement across professional disciplines for the creation of truly healthy sustainable communities. A must for any library.
on 9 February 2012
This is a really easy to use and helpful book. I have previously worked in practice and could see how this book would be an essential for any planners library - I now work in academia and it is a brilliant reference book for my own work and for students. It comprehensively covers critical issues around sustainability and health and how our neighbourhoods can be better designed and managed. I particularly like the extensive diagrams, graphics and illustrations used throughout. I would highly recommend this book to students and practitioners.
on 18 May 2010
This new edition is a wonderful source book and inspiration.

As with anyone working in the sustainable development field, I do a lot of work across all sorts of policy boundaries and with different kind of stakeholders. This book shows clearly how all the agendas can (and do) fit together with the added value of linking sustainability with `Health' and a sense of transition.

Well done to the WHO Centre for this! Useful.

I especily like the evidence base snippets and arguments.

Maybe the third edition will eviolve into a great web version with multiple levels of info and access?
on 5 June 2013
It's really helpful. It talks exactly about the neighbourhoods, including diagrams, pictures and guidelines. Really helpful to understand what does neighbourhoods mean and how to design them.
on 17 June 2014
The product is good but seller did not mention the type the papers during declaring the book , the quality is good but does not meet my expectation
on 18 March 2013
it was as i expected. the book brings into details about my subject area which deals with water, planning and the environment.
on 15 August 2013
This was a recommended book for my MA in urban design. It's very good, though I think there is a later edition now.
on 20 February 2012
I had little idea what to expect from this book. I knew nothing about it except that it might help in tying together the elements of how to develop neighbourhoods in a more sustainable way and in a way that helps people live more healthy lives. I thought that would be an interesting concept. Having now read the book I can say that if someone asked me "Should I read this book" I'd say yes. And if someone asked me "Tell me a good book to read on this subject", this one would be somewhere very near to the top of the list.
on 10 January 2011
What a waste of money!
I bought this book to assist me with a module in university, but as somebody else has said, there is no logical structure to it! The index is also poor, missing even "Systems" out of it, even though systems are an important key to understanding neighbourhoods and - well - everything! As for the punctuation and spelling mistakes, they just made me mad. For three reputable authors and academics, grammar mistakes are unacceptable. Sack your proof reader - they're illiterate!
on 24 July 2005
If I have a gripe about this book it is with the structure, which although very well signposted throughout, does not seem to share a clear logic like the earlier 'Sustainable Settlements' which was ordered by spatial scale (strategic to local). The new guide by comparison seems less logical, and sections overlap much more. Perhaps this merely reflects the fact that settlements are not logical, but are complex constructions that cannot easily be parcelled up for discussion. Either way if this is the future of sustainable Town Planning it appears that the subject is to become more vague and unfocused, with a less systematic and methodical approach, something planning desperately needs in this country. A disappointment!