4.0 out of 5 stars Modern, clear and will take you beyond 'basic'
Published on 5 Aug 2003 by R. WEST-SOLEY

Buy the paperback version. You can actually read that. I'm extremely disappointed. Otherwise, a good grammar, deserving 5 stars. I think I'll be sticking to my paper copy, or getting my granny's magnifying glass out. It's about time publishers learned to cope with re-producing Chinese characters on Kindle. After all, we are in the 21st century, aren't we?
Published 2 months ago by JC Penrith

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern, clear and will take you beyond 'basic', 5 Aug 2003
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The book starts with the simplest principles, and actually continues to advanced topics such as the 'le' particle, by the end of the book. Therefore it gives a very solid grounding in Chinese grammar, supported by plenty of exercises ranging from the traditional prose translation type, to error-correction style activities. Full of detail presented very concisely, it's ideal for an ab initio uni student, or anyone interested in getting a good grasp on how the language works, rather than the casual holiday maker after a minimal working knowledge.
Some of the example sentences are a bit odd - not that it's a bad thing, since a bit of humour (intended or otherwise) never did learning any harm! Try 'before she went to England she had never seen a squirrel'. Lovely! Now I know what a songshu is.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction., 2 Feb 2006
A friend recommended this to me, but unfortuately it was a long time before I got my hands on it and had waded through other texts beforehand - some useful, most cumbersome. Some explanations get a bit metalingual, but the examples are friendly and the exercises do the job of consolidating well. Incidentally, the last time I was in England it was the first time my friend had seen a squirrel, and very exciting it was too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook (Grammar Workbooks) (Paperback)
This book is NOT for beginners. I think this book is perfect for those Mandarin learners who already know pinyin and have a good grasp of Mandarin grammar & hanzi. Along with "new practical chinese reader" this book is perfect to revise a particular grammar point/quirk, be it counters, pronouns or whatever. This book also has a hell of a lot of vocabulary to take in, which is brilliant if you are a serious mandarin language learner aiming to become fluent one day. All in all, this book is a must-have on your shelf if you are serious about learning Mandarin to fluency.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook. Yip Po-Ching, Don Rimmington., 11 Mar 2010
Stephanie (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
The layout is good. The explanations and examples and directions are good. I struggle with the terminology/descriptive terms used of the English grammar terms. I have often had to look up a definition of a grammar term in order to use the work in the book effectively. This may be a reflection on the quality of my own education (which was a Grammar School and is beyond first degree)but it has hindered my enjoyment of the book. It could be written with fewer academic grammar terms so that of us who are not linguists and not students of grammar but do want to learn another language beyond just learning phrases might find it easier to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY KINDLE VERSION AS YOU CAN BARELY READ THE CHINESE CHARACTERS EVEN WITH THE ZOOM FUNCTION!, 26 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book, 21 Dec 2013
I have used this book a great deal and found the information, vocab. and grammar to be really useful. The book pre-supposes a good knowledge of spoken Chinese, so although called 'Basic Chinese' it is not for a beginner. The book is suited to someone who already has a good knowledge of the spoken and written language. One issue I have with the book is the frequent inaccurate translations which can be misleading; otherwise excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly thorough volume suitable for beginners and as reference material for intermediate and advanced learners, 28 Jan 2013
I cannot fault this book, the examples and the logic are extremely clear and well-presented. I would recommend this to anyone with an ankle deep knowledge of Mandarin looking to set up a good structure for self-learning or immersion. Its companion volume is equally indispensable. Now, if only there were an Advanced one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not For Beginners! But A Great Book., 4 May 2010
I have been learning Chinese for a number of years now and fancied this book because of the Workbook Exercises in it.
My level of Chinese is pretty good but I found this book to be misleading for Beginners as it jumps straight in to fairly difficult exercises. I am able to go through this book with little problem but if you are a fresh beginner then this book will not be very useful. When you have a sound knowledge of basic Chinese then I would say this is a good book to have for grammar practice.

All in all the book is laid out nicely and the exercises help retain information well. My wife is Chinese and she said she couldn't do some of the exercises in the book cause it didn't really make sense! She says most of it has valuable info though!

Beginners Beware!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Double Dutch, not Chinese, 31 Oct 2009
C. B. Tomkinson "Bland" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This is totally misleading: it certainly is not basic. The approach taken is about a century behind the times and the book is of little help to the absolute beginner. It would be of some value as a reference work to students of both Chinese and linguistics but I found it really most unhelpful. There are exercises to try and reinforce the lessons being taught but the vocabulary is lacking to complete the exercises and I found that the only way to find, for example, 'dozen' was to look the answers up in the back of the book. I found it irritating that concepts were constantly introduced that belonged to later chapters - which either meant skipping ahead or remaining puzzled about what point the authors were trying to make.

Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook (Grammar Workbooks)
Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook (Grammar Workbooks) by Don Rimmington (Paperback - 30 Jan 2009)
25.19