5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!
Published on 11 Sep 2009 by A. Gawthorpe

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
I had to read this book in school so it was not by choice an that always tends to color my judgement.

+ A good review of the history of photography

- For a non native English speaker like me it was at times tiring to read.
- Hard to use if you just want to look up specific topics like for example Strait Photography.
Published 17 months ago by mathias Eriksson

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 11 Sep 2009
A. Gawthorpe (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photography: A Critical Introduction (Paperback)
I purchased this book, after finishing my first year of Foundation Degree in lens Based Photo media... Oh, why this wasn't on my reading list I'll never know. If is simply fantastic. One of the best books on the market to help with 'Critical and Analitical studies' from a photographic perspective. It is a must have book, and will help you to understand images from a CATS perspective.

As others have said, it is a clear well structured book, that will help you with your degree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Contextual based knowledge, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Photography: A Critical Introduction (Paperback)
I thought this book was good, slightly difficult but once read over a few times made sense, made good use of it for the contextual part of my university projects as I study Photography, however the only grudge I hold is that it requires other books that are referenced in the text to read it and make more sense of it, but in my eyes that's better for me. Great book, and good for building a contextual based knowledge on Photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Sep 2012
This review is from: Photography: A Critical Introduction (Paperback)
Very happy with the product, book is in excellent shape and was received quickly. Thank you very much, this will defiantly help with Uni

5.0 out of 5 stars A good reference guide on the varying issues that arise within ..., 3 July 2014
This review is from: Photography: A Critical Introduction (Paperback)
A good reference guide on the varying issues that arise within the genres of photography. I used to borrow this book constantly from the library at Uni before deciding to buy my own copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Text For Photography Students, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Photography: A Critical Introduction (Paperback)
My tutor recommended this text. Although the book is thick, the writing itself is simple and straightforward without being patronising. With all the texts that I have to read for research, it's a relief to read a book that doesn't feel a mental millstone. It covers all the key theoretical debates in photography and includes dozens of photos from America's Dorothea Lange to Englands Martin Parr.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reference in photography research, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Photography: A Critical Introduction (Paperback)
This book is perfect for everyone who'd like some knowledge about the history of photography. Great contents, bibliography and examples of color and black and white pictures.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 17 Mar 2013

+ A good review of the history of photography

- For a non native English speaker like me it was at times tiring to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars if this enables you to improve your photography then i am a fish, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Photography: A Critical Introduction (Paperback)
There is an entire section of the photographic industry built around education, this book is part of it, if you feel that this will in any way improve your photography then I suspect you will be disappointed .I would avoid this self satisfied nonsense like the plague, It is a very academic, dull book of theory which is extremely slanted to a particular viewpoint and cross referenced endlessly by other like minded academics. Hardly a balanced view. If any thing was produced to put you off image making then this is it, if however you were attempting to justify weak photography under a blanket of theoretical balderdash or realising your lack of ability as an image maker are attempting to get work in the world of education then this is the book for you.

Photography: A Critical Introduction
Photography: A Critical Introduction by Liz Wells (Paperback - 12 May 2009)
24.29