5.0 out of 5 stars Blends CBT, Buddhism and practical understanding
As a long time Buddhist who struggled with meta and loving kindness meditation I know understand why. I also now understand why the brief CBT sessions I had failed to resonant with me. For me Paul Gilbert's book provides the missing link that has alluded me so long. A beautiful book that makes so much sense.
Published 16 months ago by Wilber

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating read - more like essential notes
Published 3 months ago by brownilicious

5.0 out of 5 stars Blends CBT, Buddhism and practical understanding, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Compassion Focused Therapy: Distinctive Features (CBT Distinctive Features) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Compassion, 8 Nov 2012
This is a really excellent book that draws together many facets of CFT. I recommend it to clients and therapists.

5.0 out of 5 stars it answers so many questions!, 16 Oct 2013
I always thought I was doing self compassion right, until I read this book and realised that all those positive affirmations were being spoken to my inner self like a computer or automaton - ie I knew they meant something but I never really felt it..
well now I know why and what I can do about it - THANK YOU!
the book is extremely well laid out in short chapters so easy to read on the tube and easy to grasp the concepts.
a cert for anyone studying mindfulness or psychotherapy.

5.0 out of 5 stars CBT is catching up - with Focusing and other Experiential Therapies !, 26 July 2011
J. L. Threadgold (London) - See all my reviews
This book is very readable. Paul Gilbert explains very clearly why conventional CBT often fails to work, and grounds his compassion focused therapy in research, and also neuro- science. I found that this book was very clear and very informative. For me the most important insigts in the book, were his recognition that our Brains have different processing systems, and that different therapies can access different systems. Conventional CBT utilises the neo-cortex, and acts as a regulator of emotions, while more experiential therapies, ( MBCT) access other processing parts of the brain. I also realised as well, how I can better intergrate some CBT ideas into my own therapy practise.

One of my main objections to CBT was that the theory that explained it, ( eg distorted cognitions causing psychological disturbance) to be deaply flawed. This of course is true. However the insight that CBT techniques can regulate, difficult emotions, was very useful since sometimes regulations of difficult emotional states canrepresent a quick fix, when processessing is not possible. I found this a very good read, and feel that CFT represents an advanced form of therapy within the CBT Family of therapies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating read - more like essential notes, 21 Mar 2014
I purchased a Kindle version of this, but my criticisms are more content based than navigational. I read this as a clinician trained in multiple clinical approaches and found this an disappointingly frustrating read. The book was organized as a series of I think 26 chapters highlighting essential features of this approach. These chapters were Somewhat uneven and could have used additional examples or depth (to the point that the integrative biological model read somewhat shallow and gimmicky). The writing was also somewhat frustrating - it was written in an casual verbal tone, as though the book were excerpts from an email or transcribed from voice notes. I purchased this knowing that this was geared towards clinicians but was left disappointed due to its poor organization, and I found myself having to navigate constantly between chapters to develop an understanding about how to adapt it into a particular treatment strategy for a patient. One of my few purchase regrets (I should have bought the patient friendly version instead), and I have read several psychotherapy texts. but this is not a criticism of the approach which seems necessary for patients with poor self compassion at the root of their emotional difficulties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good book, 26 Dec 2013
This book has a very easy language and lots of usefull exercises with instructions for clinical practice. Also it is small and you can take it everywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not read it all yet, 7 Aug 2013
Very helpful in thinking about different ways of coping with depression and treating yourself with compassion and kindness. Very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for Cft practitioners, 10 April 2013
W. Wood "w.wood" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a clearly written book that provides the essential principles of theory and practice. It a book I continue to refer to.

5.0 out of 5 stars very interesting, 17 Dec 2012
Very good item, well written and interesting. Made me want to know more and more.
Pocket version very light and nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to Compassion focused Therapy., 11 Jan 2012
Mr. S. Joseph (UK) - See all my reviews
I am a great fan of Gilbert,s work and as a CBT therapist greatly recommend his insights. This is a great concise introduction to his work.

Compassion Focused Therapy: Distinctive Features (CBT Distinctive Features)
12.99