Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2000
Of all the Dutch-language-learning books available today, most of which are fairly basic and/or badly set out with respect to grammar comprehension, this is by far the best. It is written by a man who has a thorough knowledge of modern Dutch, but also a clear understanding of its linguistical history, by which he is able to explain archaisms and anomalies still extant in modern spoken Dutch. Tricky areas of Dutch, such as co-ordinating and subordinate clause word order, are clearly explained, and truly difficult aspects such as the particle "er" are made almost quite simple - I have struggled through many books to understand this in particular. It should be noted, however, that this is a grammar book, and not an exercise or phrase book; he also expects a rudimentary understanding of grammatical terms, but by doing so he doesn't need to waste time by explaining terminology, instead he gets to grips with the grammar. His explanations of Dutch prepositions, adjectival suffixes, and verbal prefixes (both fixed and movable) are clarity itself. I have long sought for a book which was able to clearly, though not necessarily simply, describe the Dutch language in a logical and comprehensible manner. Where phrase books, and learn-in-three-months books, have better information on vocabulary, and offer you phrases to suit the situation, it takes a book as good as this to really help you make sense of the language, so taking us out of the role of a parrot, to a comprehending user of Dutch.
on 9 May 2004
Bruce Donaldson's book is definitely the best detailed Dutch grammar on the market; he leads the way in a field dominated by books for beginners, and this book is essential for anyone wanting to extend beyond the most basic level of Dutch. However, it's not perfect: modal particles, a key part of spoken Dutch in particular, are not treated in this book. I also find that the section on modal verbs is not as clearly explained as I would like. On the whole, though, this is well worth the cost.
on 7 January 2011
I'm a self taught beginner and this is an answer to my prayers! I'm not in any position to comment on whether everything is covered but what I AM able to comment on is its usefulness. Because I'm self taught, I'm learning grammar as I need to use it (I belong to a website forum that allows me to submit my work to Dutch native speakers)so I need something that will allow me to access the grammar I need. I also need it to be sufficiently clearly explained that I don't regret the fact that I have no teacher to ask for further explanation. It passes both tests with flying colours.

What I love about this grammar is that everything is explained very clearly and very fully in very immediate and unacademic English. I feel Bruce Donaldson is standing at my shoulder cheering me on. In addition, it is packed full of examples that demonstrate the grammatical points that he is making. This has the added bonus of exposing me to correct sentence construction. The index works very well.

Best of all, it is on my Kindle. So instead of having to lug around a heavy, heavy grammar, I have it quickly and easily available. It's also much, much cheaper than its paper versions.

Five stars definitely. VERY highly recommended.
on 3 October 2013
Certainly a useful book, but a short perusal turned up quite a few errors and puzzling examples. "Het pad" should be "de pad" (the toad, pl. "padden"), "gloedheet" should be "gloeiendheet" (scalding hot), and "blad" really never means leaf of a book (which is "bladzij") but rather magazine (pl. "bladen"). The examples of colloquial usage in particular need to be used with care. Many examples are not in common use -- if they are used at all. Very few people say "rookte-n-ie" (he smoked), the more common form is "rookte-die". In addition, the very common use of "-ie" as enclitic 2sg pronoun (i.e., not 3sg) is not mentioned. Some extra checking with native speakers may be in order...
on 30 November 2011
Comprehensive by title and indeed it is: there's enough here for those, beginners or experts, who have any degree of interest in Dutch and wish to know the finer points of either the Netherlands or the Belgian version of the language. It's difficult to imagine a future author having the stamina to write a more thorough account of Dutch grammar or to gather such a range of examples to illustrate the grammatical points in use - and what would be the point, as Donaldson has already got there first. Accessibly written - although you'll need to be acquainted with English grammatical terms before you start - and attractively laid-out, this work is beyond doubt a classic in its field.
on 8 April 2011
well structured and clear, but not as comprehensive as the title suggests. For example, I was looking for a clear description of the rules of adding in letters like -n- or -s- in compound nouns, but the discussion of this subject is very meagre. Nevertheless, I think it will still be useful for intermediate Dutch learners.
on 20 October 2014
Those grammar books are simply the best in the world. I already used them when I learned Swedish and again for Dutch... I will use them also if I learn a new language.Excellent.
on 11 June 2013
As a student of Dutch, I find this excellent book to be of inestimable value. If you want to learn Dutch to a serious level, then you NEED this book.
on 20 July 2014
This pretty much covers everything in exhaustive details from the basics right up to the more advanced stuff, and is chock-full of examples.