5.0 out of 5 stars At last, something carers can do!
For 7 years I was told that my daughter would recover from severe anorexia only if she wanted to, but she was adamant that she didn't want recovery so all I could do was suffer through her many long stays in hospital and her agonising thinness. Until this book came along and showed that by changing my behaviour and the way I relate to her, I could at least create a...
Published on 26 Mar 2009 by Flo Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading
There is a lot of information regarding eating disorders and a lot of advice, most of which I did not use. There was however just one piece of advice that I did follow and I am sure it helped in dealing with the issue. The book did inform me of the disease which allowed me to make my own decisions regarding how I would approach it.
Published 8 months ago by Karen Warren-Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Skills-based Learning for Caring for a Loved One with an Eating Disorder: The New Maudsley Method (Paperback)
This was one of three books, I read which helped me understand and cope with a family member with an eating disorder.
I would recommend you read Eating Disorders The Path to recovery first.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 15 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful, 21 July 2013
JimboP (London, UK.) - See all my reviews
Life changing book of such helpful methods. A helpful tool to set you on the right path to help a loved one

5.0 out of 5 stars Skills-based Learning for Caring for a Loved One with and Eating Disorder by Janet Treasure., 18 July 2013
My daughter was diagnosed with Anorexia in May and the support group recommended this book. When I started to read this book it was an eye opener as we could see that it was going to be helpful as all the symptoms described at the beginning was exactly what is happening to my daughter. Although its a hard book to read through as a scary to realize that Anorexia won't go away quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Carer Reading, 16 May 2013
Much more detailed and helpful than many other books on this subject that I have read. It gives clear and concise information about the nature of this illness, the likely course that a psychologist/counsellor will guide the sufferer through,the nature of 'recovery' and course that such recovery is likely to take, together with a number of insights and considerable guidance for family/guardians. A companion through choppy waters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, relevant, practical, down to earth book., 1 Feb 2013
I work with a lot of families, whose lives are affected by eating disorders, and who are desperate for some guidance to work with their loved one. This book is practical, down to earth and for real people who are living with a real problem. Parents and carers can easily relate to the examples and scenarios illustrated and it gives comfort that an author really understands what they are going through.
Having read numerous books on eating disorders, this one 'feels right' for carers/parents and I have no hesitation in recommending it to them, and indeed so far have received good feedback. Thank you Janet Treasure

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 31 Jan 2013
It sums up everything you have been living with if you have a child or family member with an eating disorder. I would recommend reading this book, as it makes you realise that you are not the only one going through this. It gives you ideas on how to deal with issues better, and at the same time it makes you realise that you need professional help. It is written by people who know what they are talking about. However, the numerous references to other books and help out there does get a bit tedious at times, (it would have been better if these were at the end of the book) but you can skip over that if you don't need it. Still, I do think it is definately worth reading if you are a family going through problems of this kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading!, 27 Dec 2012
Really great help if you're dealing with an eating disorder. Clearly written by people who obviously know. Clears up many myths and fears and gives gentle guidance. Does not fob you off with falsity, but I felt better equipped once I'd read it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›