5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good read
I neede to get up to speed quickly with Existential philosophy and counselling practice.

Published on 22 Jan 2012 by Humanistical

2.0 out of 5 stars One mystery to begin
I have only read the introduction on the 'look inside' feature on Amazon.

Published 14 months ago by John Feather

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good read, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Everyday Mysteries: A Handbook of Existential Psychotherapy: Existential Dimensions of Psychotherapy (Paperback)

I stumbled upon this book and found the sections devoted to many of the key Existential philosophers to be informative, accessible and light enough to allow me to get all heavy. Having started to read this book the nature of the paper I was writing changed and indeed with it a number of areas of my awareness and perception of my world began to change.

The bargepole between existential philosophy and me suddenly dissappeared.

If I had to choose one book to cover as much as possible of this area this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 July 2014
One of her best

2.0 out of 5 stars One mystery to begin, 13 July 2013
I have only read the introduction on the 'look inside' feature on Amazon.

An interest in existential counselling is just beginning for me. I felt drawn to the promise of humility and an unfixed, non-dogmatic view in the counsellor. In seeking a comprehensive introduction, this book seemed a good bet. The author seems well thought of and has written widely on the subject.

Having read the introduction, however, I've been put off the book by the way in which it appears to make nonsense of its own ideas, nonsense on its own terms. Of course my first reaction to this frustration was to think that it must be me who is misunderstanding the author's intention. Having reviewed it and thought about it, however, I'm not convinced of this explanation. I would be grateful if anyone reads this and could point out if, and where, I've gone wrong.

Before coming across the frustrating contradictions, the mood of frustration was set up by 'The more alienated people become from life, the more they...' What can it mean to become 'alienated from life?' It's not explained. What is this 'life' which we can become alienated from? It can only be a version or aspect or part of life if you can become 'alienated' from it, social life maybe, or work life, or even just a feeling that 'life' is an integrated whole, a feeling which we might lose at some point. That's not 'life'. This is all just too clumsy and unexplained.

Mainly, however (I must try to keep this short or I'll be here all night), the frustration came from the apparent contradictions. The largest seemed to be the protestation of humility and non-dogma, whilst at the same time sounding, at least, arrogant, judgemental and dogmatically dismissive of ideas which don't accord with the dogma of 'existentialism'. For instance: 'Many theories of psychotherapy are just such attempts at describing human experience within a self-sufficient framework, isolating people within an anthropocentric universe of their own making'. These are 'complex' theories which 'purport to know what is supposed to go on for infants and young children in secret places referred to as the 'unconscious''. There seems to be judgement and even scorn in this language, which can only be based on a conviction of superior knowledge. Where's the humility in this? The 'unconscious' is often spoken of by those of an psychoanalytic persuasion as a 'construct' or a 'way of speaking' or a facilitative idea rather than a real thing, or 'place'. This is disingenuous simplifying in order to knock down. Setting up an a target yourself, which is then easy for you to knock down. The unconscious is an idea with huge explanatory powers, rich and endlessly useful.

We are told of the 'mistakes' which other theories make, again based, presumably, on superior knowledge, not an allowance of diversity and difference of opinion, different constructions which may well be the results of wisdom, long observation, experience of life.

The 'well', the 'narrow shaft' of each theory is dismissed, yet surely 'existentialism' is itself a theory, an 'ism', a group of ideas which is being presented here in contradistinction to these other 'isms'.

Where's the professed humility in the author listing your achievements in a social hierarchy (albeit, of course, under the mask of professing your involvement in the therapy world and thus validating your expertise and qualifications to speak on these matters). (Plus putting them in brackets in an attempt to connote 'oh this is just by the way').

It doesn't inspire much confidence in the author. But, as I have said, it could be me getting in all wrong.

Enough!