Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 October 2010
This book was of a good length and contained huge amounts of detail about all aspects of French politics and government, ranging from the history of the republic dating back to Jacobin traditions to the more recent processes of France's integration into the European Union. It provided a whole wealth of detail on all these topics, and contains most of what you would probably want to, or need to know on many topics - although obviously, there would be some value in further reading on any topics you are interested in. The book event even recommends other sources of information.

I would say this book is probably not suitable for casual reading, and is really designed for undergraduate level. I am 17 years old, and am currently studying for an A Level in Government and Politics, and I bought this book in order to supplement by knowledge gained through teaching and for personal interest.

In general, I found this book interesting, although it certainly did drag at points. I felt that often, there was such a colossal amount of detail that I couldn't really take it all in - after reading it however, I do feel that I have a good base of knowledge on French politics. I would recommend this book if you are very interested in the French political system, but I wouldn't say it was suitable for light-hearted perusal.
on 20 December 2009
The definitive guide to French politics. A wealth of examples, sometimes too dense! Brilliant at degree level but probably well suited to a bright A Level student. A good balance of theory and practice.